Start by marking “Dear Mad'm” as Want to Read:
Dear Mad'm

Dear Mad'm

Spend a delightful evening enthralled by the true and captivating experiences of this city lady who at age 80 spent one full year on her mountain mining claim and faced the challenges of a vastly different life.
Published October 1982 by Naturegraph Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mad'm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mad'm

Jun 08, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Stella Patterson has restored my dwindling hope in fulfilling my hermit-dream (now over 2 decades in and still wished for).

Here's a lady, who at the ripe young age of 80, decides to pull up stakes in the city and go live in a remote cabin near the Klamath river in northern the late 1940's...all because she's always wanted to...and her doctor said she had "young legs".

Patterson is a contemporary of Laura Ingalls Wilder, born right after the Civil War in Oakland, CA, who lived a li
Mar 25, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Dear Mad,m is an 80 year old woman with young legs. She goes to live in the mountains near the Klamath River, with a strong desire to live on her own terms. Here she finds a love of nature and a place and people you love and need her. Age is only. Number. This is a story that I could read again.
I liked this book very much, primarily because I liked "Dear Mad'm" so much. The book is a reflection of the person (as far as I can tell, not having personally known her.) I have to love anybody who at 80 acts on her wish to go live alone in a cabin in the mountains, and grow flowers. Of course, she doesn't end up totally alone, but encounters a few interesting people that become something of a family for each other. I like her outlook. The book is simple, interesting, and fun to read; like sit ...more
Apr 21, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, memoir, favorites
The copy I read had passed through the hands of at least 5 women, most of whom handed it on to someone who reminded them of the author. While I had a few adventures that qualified, most of them happened when I was in my 20's, not in my 80's.

Stella Patterson's memoir of a year in her life at a mining cabin 11 miles outside of Happy Camp in the 1950's has a real ring of truth to it. Her optimism, joy in her surroundings, and caring neighbors made me feel good about the world. Maybe that is why I
Amy Dance
Jan 12, 2015 Amy Dance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, biography
Love it. Set in the 1940's (thereabout), Ms. Patterson, 80 years old, is told by a nurse that she has "young legs." This comment gets her thinking that she does not want to settle down & do what is expected of an old woman. Ms. Patterson decides to take her "young legs" to a cabin near Happy Camp, California to live for a year where she can relax in the solitude & raise flowers.

This book, which she wrote almost 10 years later, just before her death, tells of her life and adventures that
May 25, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
A delightful true story, and an optimistic one for those of us who are looking at old age staring us flat in the face. In the late 1940's, at age 80, "Mad'm" was visiting relatives in Arcata, northern California. Her relatives were importuning her to move in with her to live out her waning years. She twisted her leg, and went to the doctor who made a comment that she had "young legs." That comment motivated her to evaluate what she should do with her life. She had invested in a mining claim in ...more
Aug 03, 2010 Joanne rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I guess I wish I had the courage to go live in a tiny cabin somewhere remote. She did have help, though. A charming book.
Jun 29, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it
I do like the way the book is about an 80 year old woman who goes and does something completely different with her life.
I have a question though. Why does she call Dear Sir, Dear Sir? Doesn't the dude have a name? Does she not want to disclose his name? Then why not just give him some other name? And what is up with Up n up? I know Stella Patterson called him that because he was pretty tall, but why does EVERYONE call him that? Did she invent the name only to have it spread to everyone around he
Jul 01, 2016 Neena rated it it was amazing
Originally published in 1956 - the year of her death at age 90. This edition was from 1982, printed in 2013. A memoir of a woman who goes to a mining cabin at age 80 to be "dendpendent." LOVED IT! The location is around Willow Creek, CA and environs circa 1946-47. Because I live in that neck of the woods I was particularly interested in the story. But, really, I want to grown up to be just like her.
Mar 28, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect example of the delightful gems often found on the "local history" shelves of bookstores. I found this one in Grant's Pass, Oregon. It's Stella Walthall Patterson's own story of what happened when she decided at age eighty to move from San Francisco to a rustic cabin located near a placer mining claim she'd purchased years earlier. The cabin was located in a remote forest near the Klamath River in the Siskiyou Mountains of California. Obviously, Stella was past eighty when ...more
Navajo Lady
Sep 10, 2008 Navajo Lady rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young ladies, mature ladies, and any men who like a funny story
This book was given to me by my mother-in-law and it has become one of my favorites. It presents the life of an adventerous, elderly lady (the author), who at the age of 80, decided that she had a great deal of life left to live.

She has her health, her dog Vicky, her young pair of legs, and an overwhelming desire to live a life of independence in the mountains of Northern California. She intends to live in a cabin in the mountains for one year. Can she make it?

You'll learn what she faced in her
Ella Johanansen
Sep 14, 2015 Ella Johanansen rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, the plot did not have any super high climaxes or peaks but I thought it was OK for this writing style. This book is an autobiography with a really strong valuable lesson that was hinted throughout but really shown through in the end.
Danny McGee
Oct 04, 2016 Danny McGee rated it it was amazing
A fun book to read. A time when neighbors actually did look out for one another.
Nov 14, 2013 Nathalie rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in a long while. I picked it up in a country shop in Oak Glen, Ca when I was up there on a day trip from LA, kind of as an afterthought. Boy, am I glad I did!

This simple, heartwarming tale made me audibly laugh, sometimes filled my eyes with happy tears and generally brought joy every time I cracked it open.

I recommend it for anyone and everyone. A nice, quick, easy read that will leave you better than it found you.
Feb 28, 2009 Dhartridge rated it it was amazing
The author's doctor, in the course of a check up, told her, a woman in her 60s (?) that she had "young legs", prompting her to pick up and move from the urban Bay Area to a cabin on the Klamath River to start a new adventure all by herself. Thus a delightful memoir was born.I read this ages ago and forget how old she was and what year it takes place-pre 1960 though.
Feb 04, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
I read this book for book club. It was chosen because it was written about an area close to where I live. I enjoyed that aspect of the story quite a bit, but found the overall storyline lacked some climax. Its a cute little story about an old lady living in the woods, and thats about it.
Genine Franklin-Clark
Sep 15, 2011 Genine Franklin-Clark rated it really liked it

I read this wonderful book many years ago, and recently read it again. It was as charming as I remembered, a treasure of a book.
Mar 10, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it
A little hard to read at times, but fun to read about the life of an 80 year old woman who decided to get back to basics.
Dec 17, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
80 year old woman moves to the mountains 1953
Oct 21, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
a very fun read for us aging ladies
living in Oregon
Nov 17, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it.
German Lust
German Lust rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Sandy Cathcart
Sandy Cathcart rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Julie Pullman
Julie Pullman rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Cindy rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Steven Shane
Steven Shane marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016