The Waking Dream

The Waking Dream

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Cut off from the outside world by a hostile desert full of savage secrets, the city of Illamar must fend for itself. Late one night, Dante Montero, Commander and Ruler of Illamar, is confronted on his own streets by a mysterious woman bearing an ominous message from a dangerous man known only as Rasheim.
Dante and his close friend Kerran, Captain of the Guard, rush to disc...more
Published March 14th 2011 by Outskirts Press

Meganm922
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and smooth. The story was interesting and complex, yet easy to follow. I thought the plot was unpredictable and amazing, but not so far fetched that it was unbelievable. A lot of times, new worlds can seem so far fetched that I’m left wondering how no one could detect anything, but I didn’t feel that way reading this book. It seemed plausible that history was forgotten. Due to the cities being in a desert, they were closed off from the rest of the...more
Anya
The Waking Dream by Jennifer Ford is a fantasy story of a desert city that has forgotten its history, but history hasn’t forgotten it. Danger from the desert lurks and an ancient and magical ally appears just in time for destiny to catch up. The Commander and Ruler of Illamar and his friend and Captain have no idea what is in store for them when a mysterious messenger starts appearing and disappearing at rather inconvenient times….
I was very excited when I received The Waking Dream for review fr...more
Ruty  B
If you never read a fantasy novel The Waking Dream would be a great way to start and I can assure you that you won’t regret it. I had my doubts about it but I’m so glad I read it and I can honestly say that it’s a great book.

A novel set in a savage desert between the cities of Illamar and Rheamyre, where we meet Dante and Kerran, two great friends that are forced to face an unknown threat. We discovered the story little by little, because of the narrative skills of Jennifer, and we are able to f...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Lindsay

At first glance, The Waking Dream may appear to be just another story of good vs. evil. However, the author weaves a hero’s tale that will surprise you throughout the book. Dante is the Commander of the city of Illamar. He and his Captain, Kerran are sworn to protect Illamar and it’s people. Set in the remote Sohma desert, Illamar and it’s neighboring city of Rheamyre, depend on caravans from across the desert for supplies. After a few deadly encounters with...more
Gwynn White
The Waking Dream is magical fantasy on steroids. I loved it. The story is utterly original, the world building spellbinding, and the characters so defined they leap right off the page.

But be warned, it does get off to a slow start. Don’t let it put you off or you will miss a fantastical – in every sense of the word – read. The slow build up in the beginning is essential for setting the main characters and the overall tone.

It was also refreshing reading a story seen through the eyes of two men f...more
Shelly
I really enjoyed this book. It took me a bit to get into it because it's so different, but by about the 3rd chapter I couldn't put it down. I was driving my husband crazy picking it up to read every time he left the room. That's what happens when I start reading something on the weekend. Normally I do most of my reading during the week at night when he is working.

Anyway, back to the book...this book is hard to describe, but I think that's what drew me in. I don't really have a point of reference...more
Cellardoorians
The story is one of friendship and family, destiny and legacy, memory and time. It takes place in and around these two sister cities, though they’re more like estranged sisters, that were once part of a glorious master city. But time and forces beyond their people’s control wore that master city down to dust, and the sisters that remained were but shadows of a former glory, cut off from the rest of the world by the treacherous desert that surrounds them. [See full review at http://cellardoorians...more
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Shadow
Shadow marked it as to-read
Laura Thomas
Laura Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Kat (idangerous)
Kat (idangerous) marked it as to-read
Sage Adderley
Sage Adderley marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2012
Open Book Society: Win Signed Paperback: The Waking Dream by Jennifer Ford 1 1 Aug 25, 2012 09:29PM
Jennifer Ford Interview 1 2 Aug 17, 2012 10:16PM