Start by marking “Welcome To The Ark” as Want to Read:
Welcome To The Ark

Welcome To The Ark (Ark #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  51 reviews
In the near future, a time of global violence, Miranda Ellenby and three other strangely gifted young people have been gathered in the group psychiatric home they call the Ark. In the real world, they're freaks. In the Ark, they're treated lovingly and urged to "connect". Soon they discover amazing powers within themselves -- powers that can change the way other people beh ...more
Published August 26th 1999 by HarperTrophy (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome To The Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome To The Ark

Stephanie Hawkins
Jan 15, 2008 Stephanie Hawkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Melissa at Center City
Shelves: teen-fiction
I have always wanted to teach this book. I read it a few years ago, and I absolutely loved it. It's a multi-genre book about a group of teenagers sent to a group home because they are thought to have special abilities. The kids don't know this, and it's very interesting to watch how they discover their gifts and decide what to do with them. Written through IM chats, interoffice memos, medical and psychological files, etc., this book is awesome!
ainsley davis-kutschera
Sep 22, 2008 ainsley davis-kutschera rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who ever felt out of place because of unusual mental gifts (academically or otherwise)
Recommended to ainsley by: Amy
One of my best beloveds of recent (to me, at least) YA books. I'm far too old to be a baby genius, but I want to be a teacher in part to help bring out the cheetah within more people, whether they be mostly lion or pure cheetah. Because, yes, the system failed these four kids, but does it have to be that way?
Savannah Cole
The book “Welcome to the Ark” was NOT a good read. The book was really confusing, and I had a hard time getting it, and I’m usually a pretty good reader. The book had a bad structure overall. The book consisted of journal entries, computer chats, emails and the basic story. I could barely find the plot to the story, which was pretty much a group of depressed psychic kids who join together to try to stop world violence with a fake purple lion that they control with their minds. I do not recommend ...more
Alex
I LOVED this book in grade school. I really did. The story is that a small group of hurt and misfit kids are plucked out of the general population of a mental hospital for the young, to a small experimental group home. There they use their mental powers (mental superpowers) to form bonds and begin waging peace on a crumblingly violent world. That book, at the core, can be a GREAT book. I REALLY liked that book.

Unfortunately, as an adult, I see that Tolan doesn't understand much about either ment
Sara
I really enjoyed this book, it's a great story about four kids. I just wish that there was more closure in the ending. I felt as though it kind of let off in the middle that there was no true ending. Most importantly I wish that there was some kind of follow up to the story.
Dan
Of the stories I read as a child, there are a few that I have never forgotten. It's not always clear why this is, but I recently started finding and re-reading those books, in an attempt to try to better remember them and understand why they stuck with me so long. Of the ones I have revisited so far (see shelf "book-rediscovery-project"), this is the first that fully lived up to its memory. It's clear I remembered this book for a reason -- it had a fundamental impact on the way I viewed the worl ...more
Danielle
Books with agendas are a tricky thing.

See, I know that everyone in the world has an agenda, because everyone in the world has an opinion. So when an author writes a book, it's almost inevitable that his or her agenda will bleed into their work. If it doesn't, then one of three things has happened:

1. The author doesn't care about any one cause enough to write a book promoting it.

2. The author has managed to keep his or her opinion out of their work by choosing a topic that has nothing to do wi
Tessa
Although the book was a bit slow at some points, I ended up really liking it and feeling that it has a great message. Many children will relate to the young characters who all feel like misfits in society, and the idea of a world filled with violence and terror is becoming all to real. Like 1984, this book suffers from putting a date on a dystopian society, and some teens may be hung up on the fact that the dates in the book are techinically in our past, but the text itself still seems relevant. ...more
Mallory
This is one of my all-time favourite books. I read it for the first time in 7th grade (2000) and have taken my well-worn copy with me to college and even to law school. Stephanie Tolan has exceptional knowledge of gifted children and conveys it beautifully though Miranda, Doug, Elijah, and Taryn. During a time when I didn't understand how to normalize being a cheetah, I found incredible solace in the pages of "Welcome to the ARK" and still, to this day, often think of certain passages in my ever ...more
Robin
I enjoyed my trip back to the Adirondacks -- many madeleine moments here. I can see GT students enjoying the privileged role given to children with superior intelligence, and they would appreciate the recognition of concomitant socio-emotional issues. Very affirming for them. It was lots of fun -- if I can characterize apocalyptic violence and drug-fueled psychiatry as "fun." Very interesting seeing how Nolan imagined technology working for children in need of international networking back in 19 ...more
Makenna Baker
I am reading this book right now. It is a really interesting story. There are 4 main characters. Their names are Miranda, Doug, Taryn, and Elijah. They are in a "nuthouse" for their extrordinary gifts. Miranda is known as the baby genius. Doug is a flutist and a math whiz. Taryn writes amazing poems and can communicate with other life forms. Elijah hears the deep growl of voilence around him, and won't talk to anyone since his grandmother died.
They are put together in one house to try and conne
Dayna Smith
If you're expecting Surviving the Applewhites this isn't it! A dark somewhat depressing, yet hopeful, tale of a world on the edge. Told through interviews, emails, and memos, as well as text; this story tells the tale of four kids who have been sent to a private mental institution for troubled teens. They come for various reasons and from a variety of backgrounds, but are they really crazy? Placed together in an experimental group home called The ARK, they begin to discover they have unusual men ...more
Heather Rindlisbacher
This book is one of my all-time favorites, and another I have used extensively in my bibliotherapy group. It is easy for my teens (and myself!) to emphasize with the notion of being a "misfit" in society--and the thought of a deeper bond is a stirring topic of discussion. This book doesn't have the "Happily Ever" ending, so if that's what you're after look elsewhere--but the realism of the ending makes it appeal to those that recognize how difficult it is to survive. Also highly recommended-Flig ...more
Johnny712
in welcome to the ark, miranda, elijah, tayrn, and doug have extrodinary minds. they can connect to nature.

i think that the ark is really like a place for people with sucky life. i mean, miranda told everyone she was an alien. doug breaks into cars and stores. elijah can't talk. almost all of their parents are dead.

i don't think anyone's life sucks this bad. i mean, to tell everybody your an alien. a 17 year old kid breaking into twenty cars. an eight year old kid that can't talk. the car break-
Christina G
Nov 26, 2011 Christina G marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just spent less than 10 minutes poking around the internet for this book knowing only the following facts:
1. i read this book in middle school
2. it was about gifted children at some sort of camp or school
3. i thought there was a main character named Raven (which, it turns out, wasn't even remotely true)
couldn't remember anything else about title, characters, plot, author, etc. it's times like these that i have hope for myself as a reference librarian.

anyway, loved this book in middle school, and
Alyssa
William McCauley
This book deserves more than five stars. I have thought for many years that it's the finest Y/A novel out there. It tells the story of four very gifted kids who are considered "troubled" and therefore put into a type of institution. They find that they can achieve amazing things when the pool their powers. There's just enough paranormal there to make it interesting, but it's not outlandish or unbelievable. I've read and re-read it, and it continues to amaze me.
Jay Gowen
Mar 03, 2008 Jay Gowen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jay by: Mr. V
The binding and printing of this book make it appear to be a lighter read than it actually is. Actually, the whole story is a contradiction--some elements of the plot are very lightweight, and others sophisticated. It's hard to categorize actually. I would recommend it to adults and my students.

I was particularly impressed with the ending. I think the author managed to salvage a happy ending without abandoning realism.
Jenny
Four kids aged 8-17 are selected from an institiution to participate in an experimental group home with two doctors as parent figures. The troubled but brilliant children begin to reach out to each other and to other geniuses around the world, and begin to manifest paranormal abilities and connections. Now the head of the institute is aware of the children's abilities and wants to control and use them for his own benefit.
Grace
Welcome to the Ark details the journey of four young geniuses as they strive to fight the evil in the world. Although I liked the characters extremely (they were very lifelike and realistic), I think the book started to get into the more dubious when it was talking about the superatural. I think I may have enjoyed it more if it stayed with the realistic, hard world, but then again, I'd enjoy it in almost any format.
Sofie
3 and 3/4 stars
Pretty interesting but not that interested in the next book
Juliana
Recommended for: Smart people who didn't fit in when they were young.

Near-future YA dystopia featuring "gifted" young people. What makes this stand out is it gives a more realistic view of what the alienating side of that experience would be like than most, and of the painful side of having abilities along the lines of telepathy.
Callie
I was so close to finishing this book, once upon a time, two days into a summer vacation after 5th grade. I was playing at a softball game that night, and all I wanted to do was finish reading this book. I broke my leg sliding into home base, and it took me a lot longer to finish reading than I'd wanted.
M Reynolds
A book about a bunch of special kids in a war-torn US in the future.
It was interesting to read, because at the time the book was written, 2000 was the future.
It was okay, but there was no true POINT. It was just a story. No moral, no big climax... but it was still good.
Margret
A book about a bunch of special kids in a war-torn US in the future.
Liz
From the first time I read this book, I was in love.
I thought the story line was amazing and thought it could
very well be happening in our world today. After reading
it about 20 times, it is still honestly my number 1 book.
Soccerfan2
This is a very interesting, different book that easily grasps you. I am only 30 pages in and I cannot believe what is going on. Anyone who likes different books should read this because it is spectacular.
alicatstrut
The writing is decent. But kids who have special powers, no really they do? And they want to use it to do good and all the bad stuff in the world hurts them, like, so much. It's pretty silly.
Nutter
I think the exact thought in my head when I finished this books was, "HAEH?" The highlight of the book was probably the telepathic sex, and that really wasn't very titillating.
Emily
This was a great book, if a little dry at some points. THis book taught me to never limit my mind to just what I know is fact and to look deeper than I previously would have.
  • Archangel Protocol (LINK Angel, #1)
  • Words of Stone
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • Benighted
  • Return to the Secret Garden
  • Reluctant God
  • And This Is Laura
  • Hole in the Sky
  • The Wizard's Map (Tartan Magic, #1)
  • Gods Old and Dark (The World Gates, #3)
  • Hellbent
Stephanie S. Tolan's earliest memories involve books. Those that were read to her and those she read to herself, often late at night with a flashlight under the covers. She always thought there was a special magic in the little black marks on paper that could turn into whole worlds and real people. Born in Ohio and raised in Wisconsin, she wrote her first story in the fourth grade. It was thrillin ...more
More about Stephanie S. Tolan...
Surviving the Applewhites (Applewhites, #1) Listen! Applewhites at Wit's End (Applewhites, #2) Plague Year Flight of the Raven (Ark, #2)

“How do we know imagination isn't just a different way of knowing something? A message from outside.” 5 likes
“It's lonely at midnight in the nuthouse.” 3 likes