Start by marking “Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk” as Want to Read:
Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk

Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk (Dear Canada)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Anya and her family have made a difficult journey to Canada in search of a new life. But soon after they arrive in the land they hoped would welcome them, World War I is declared, and Ukrainians are considered “enemy aliens” — many of them sent away to internment camps. Anya must find a way to deal with the challenges in the land she now calls home.
Published 2007 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about Prisoners in the Promised Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoners in the Promised Land

With Nothing But Our Courage by Karleen BradfordNo Safe Harbour by Julie LawsonOrphan at My Door by Jean LittleFootsteps in the Snow by Carol MatasA Prairie as Wide as the Sea by Sarah Ellis
Dear Canada Series
24th out of 35 books — 44 voters
Voyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson WhiteAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryAcross The Wide And Lonesome Prairie by Kristiana Gregory
Historical Fiction from Scholastics
21st out of 104 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I am reading this whole series. I picked this particular volume because I am participating in a WWI reading challenge.

I've only read a couple of Skrypuch's books so far, but she has become one of my favourite Canadian juvenile authors. Mostly, her historical fiction revolves in some way around Ukrainians as that is where her heritage comes from and her own family genealogy is always a great starting point. Skrypuch does write about other topics but this recurring theme is int
I remember when I learned about America's Japanese internment camps during WWII. I remember being appalled, since I had known so much about the concentration camps and so little about the internment camps.

The story of what happened to the Ukrainians in Canada is so similar, and so heartbreaking. And it's interesting that this is one of the longer time periods covered by one of the diaries. Instead we see more than two years of the girl's life. I enjoyed this one and I'm looking forward to readin
Apr 10, 2009 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes the Dear America Series
this historical novel tells us about Anya Soloniuk, an Ukrainian girl who lived at Spirit Lake, Quebec. furthermore, this novel illustrates a war between French and England to get the colonization and permanent settlement of Canada. i've got this book for an assignment at Ms. Dunne's class. the plot is designed like a diary, so you won't feel bored. there are a lot of novel in this Dear Canada series. nice one.
i love this book
I read this once when I was 15 and loved it. Now that I'm in my 20s I've read it again and still enjoyed it. What I love about the Dear Canada series is that they teach younger people about lesser-known Canadian historical events through a young protagonist. You can tell the author does quite a bit of research, and I love the photos and historical notes in the back. Once criticism about the book is that the writing would be a tad sophisticated for a 12-14 year old. Also, in midst of certain situ ...more
This is a book about World War 1 and how Ukrainians got arrested during that time. A girl named Anya Soloniuk comes to Canada from Ukraine. This is a historical fiction book and people who like history might read this book.
Kristin Proskow
I really liked this book for a couple of reasons. First, I love historical fiction. Second, this piece of history is a part of my Canadian Ukrainian heritage.
Words cannot describe this book. More of this review will come later...
Adam J
A window into the Canada that was.
Nov 11, 2012 Molly added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
3.5 if I could do half ratings.
Sep 17, 2012 Shanelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read about Canadian history
Another book from the Dear Canada series, Prisoners in the Promised Land is about the immigration of a Ukrainian girl, Anya Soloniuk and her family, during the years 1914-1916. The author creates a captivating story and provides the readers with a lot of history about the Ukrainian immigrants in Canada.
I found this story particularly touching because my ancestors came from Russia and while they weren't interned, they had some negative feelings about the experience. After reading this book I feel much more sympathetic.

Jenna Leigh
My memory of this book is that it wasn't as interesting as it looked like it was going to be. I think it might have been a bit redundant at times in the writing, and I just didn't enjoy it as much as some of the other books.
As a Canadian whom is part Ukrainian I found this novel to be extremely fascinating. There has yet to be a Dear Canada or America book that I haven't loved and this fell right in with the others. Great series!
I thought this book was good.....i would not say the was intresting.
it was good.
It was really interesting to learn that Canada interned Ukrainians during the War.
Awesome book! I loved it! It was heart breaking, surprising, and more!
Mary Foxe
I felt the epilogue was cut short, but this is a great book.
May 06, 2008 Katrina marked it as to-read
I need to read this one after the other books
Kiki Cole
Kiki Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Tasha-Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Alexus marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Catriona Stark
Catriona Stark marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Christa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Jh marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1917
  • Exiles from the War: The War Guest Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss, Guelph, Ontario, 1940 (Dear Canada)
  • Days of Toil and Tears: The Child Labour Diary of Flora Rutherford, Almonte, Ontario, 1887 (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling, Vancouver, British Columbia, 1922 (Dear Canada)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada)
  • The Death of My Country: The Plains of Abraham Diary of Geneviève Aubuchon (Cher Journal)
  • Winter of Peril: The Newfoundland Diary of Sophie Loveridge (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt
  • Not a Nickel to Spare: The Great Depression Diary of Sally Cohen (Dear Canada)
Marsha has received numerous awards and honours for her picture books and young adult novels, including a nomination for the Canadian Library Association Book of the Year in 2007. Marsha has penned the bestselling Dear Canada book, Prisoners in the Promised Land.

In 2008, Marsha was awarded the Order of Princess Olha by the Ukranian President, in recognition of her story, Enough, which described th
More about Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch...

Dear Canada (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall
  • Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott
  • A Ribbon of Shining Steel: The Railway Diary of Kate Cameron (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)