Start by marking “Vivaldi's Four Seasons [With CD (Audio)]” as Want to Read:
Vivaldi's Four Seasons [With CD (Audio)]

Vivaldi's Four Seasons [With CD (Audio)]

Published July 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Vivaldi's Four Seasons [With CD (Audio)], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vivaldi's Four Seasons [With CD (Audio)]

Shellys♥ Journal
Jan 06, 2015 Shellys♥ Journal rated it really liked it
Antonio Vivaldi was a music teacher at a girls' orphanage in Venice. The orphanage was re-known for its famous concerts. Vivaldi was asked to leave the school, and went out to become a famous composer, but still composed a number of concertos for the school to perform - including the Four Seasons.

Wow I can't believe people only gave this a two star rating. I thought is was a pretty good story of how Vivaldi came to write the Four Seasons - especially with it's focus towards children. My boys abs
Jim Erekson
The overall muted and restrained palette of Kitchel's illustrations made the colorful bits stand out. The flat style and strong outlines are reminiscent of some of Tomie DePaola's work. The girls' red dresses, the imaginative spring are some of the colorful bits that pop from the washed browns and grays. Because it focuses on only a slice of Vivaldi's life, the book has room to focus on the relationship between the composer and the young women in the orphanage where he used to direct music. A ...more
Mommywest
May 27, 2013 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
Antonio Vivaldi was a priest in 18th century Italy who also served as a music teacher to the young ladies who lived in a special orphanage that also served as a conservatory and a performing group. This beautiful story is an account of his time there and how he came to compose his masterpiece, The Four Seasons. While the story mainly focuses on the movement, Spring, his interpretations of each season are included in the book. Also included is a CD of the work recorded by the Venice Baroque ...more
Antonella
Mar 20, 2013 Antonella rated it really liked it
Fun and whimsical from the illustrations to the storyline. The idea of his music to go along with the story itself is quite the treat! I have read this to several Pre-K level children & I have found the music an excellent resource in keeping the kids focused on the story. More music should accompany children's books considering all children learn differently. This is part of a series that I will be reading more of! I recommend this to all teacher's of art, mothers, & kids from Pre K up ...more
Meegan
Aug 20, 2015 Meegan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Illustrations are absolutely beautiful! The story was also well-written due to the imagery that was created. Even though this book is on the line to being non-fiction, it still has some made up dialogue between Vivaldi and the girls in the Venice orphanage. I think girls would be the only ones to pick something like this up, but if this was read in a classroom setting, the boys wouldn’t put up a big stink. I would read this book to children who are in third to fifth grade.
Talita
Dec 13, 2012 Talita rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
I enjoyed having the music cd with the book. Students are learning that when they read, they also visualize. When they visualize they create not only pictures, but use all their senses to enhance comprehension and be transported to wherever the book is taking them. Love of music goes across languages.
Beth
Vivaldi not only composed the Four Seasons concertos (which are some of my favorite pieces of classical music), but he wrote a set of sonnets to go with the music. I could see a music, social studies, and English teacher working together on a unit that examines the history of the time, the poems, and the music.
Shelley
Oct 31, 2014 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: music, age-6
I think it is a great intro to Vivaldi's four seasons by explaining why he wrote it. And I love that it has the sonnets for each season in the back to read and a CD with all the pieces. I just wish that it broke down with pieces went with what parts of the season pieces. I'll need a more elementary approach with younger than 6 year olds via some other exposure.
Miri
Jul 03, 2016 Miri rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations. I need to check this out so I can listen to the CD accompaniment while reading.
Mikemcq
Oct 17, 2013 Mikemcq rated it it was amazing
As a music teacher who currently teaches the Four Seasons, this book is amazing. It tells an interesting story and is very kid appropriate without dumbing down the material!
Nancy (NE)
Mar 21, 2013 Nancy (NE) rated it it was amazing
She needs to just keep cranking these out - we music teachers can't get enough of her well written books.
Tracy
Aug 04, 2012 Tracy rated it liked it
A sweet story about the orphans to whom Vivaldi taught violin, and how he sent them the Four Seasons to perform after being let go of his position. Comes with a CD recording.
Edward Sullivan
The story behind the composition is interesting but the narrative and illustrations are flat. I'm also not a fan of invented dialogue in a book billed as nonfiction.
Lisa Simons
Lisa Simons rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Anajoy-rusticgirl
Mar 30, 2013 Anajoy-rusticgirl rated it liked it
Gorgeous illustrations for a children's book on Antonio Vivaldi and his Four Seasons.
John
John rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2012
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Rivka Abramowitz
Rivka Abramowitz rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Scott Walker
Scott Walker rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Morgan Turnage
Morgan Turnage rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2012
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
We love
We love rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Ahc
Ahc rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
OS
OS rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Rani
Rani rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012