Start by marking “My Neighbor's Faith: Stories of Interreligious Encounter, Growth, and Transformation” as Want to Read:

Leading writers from many religious traditions describe moments of transformation and growth through their interreligious encounters. This groundbreaking volume gathers an array of inspiring and penetrating stories about the interreligious encounters of outstanding community leaders, scholars, public intellectuals, and activist from the United States, Europe, and the ...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Orbis Books

Sean Mcdermott
Jun 20, 2015 Sean Mcdermott rated it it was ok
This book is basically Unitarian universalism. It doesn't have a place in an Episcopal Education for Ministry course. This is not a book about Christianity. I feel betrayed by the course designers of a Christian course that I didn't get a healthy dose of Christian theology this my 4th year.

There are about 50 different authors writing their own separate stories. You can count the number of GOOD ones on ONE HAND.

Even in the crummy vignettes I think it's telling how no matter how they try and deni
Julia Alberino
May 24, 2015 Julia Alberino rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
The last of the Year 4 EfM books. It's pleasant, and not overly theological. It is interesting to read about religious pluralism from the standpoint of individuals who have experienced meaningful encounters with people of other faiths and came away changed by the encounters; in some cases the brief encounter was life-changing. The many essays are not in any way off-putting, nor is there any deep theology. If you're not in EfM and just want an introduction to religious pluralistic thought, this ...more
Daughters Of Abraham
This was chosen as a good book for newer groups, as well as established groups. It exposes the variety of experiences that can happen when one approaches "the other" with an open heart and mind. Short memoir collection of incidents where people of faith met and grew. Some funny, some poignant, some spiritual. Noted as a good discussion-starter.
Lynne
Jul 07, 2013 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Profound. Beautiful. Inspiring. I will return to this collection of essays frequently as I pursue my personal and professional work.
Jean Marie Angelo
Jul 04, 2014 Jean Marie Angelo rated it really liked it
I was assigned this book to read in the last month of a four-year seminary study. After all that focus on my particular Christian denomination and the Old and New Testaments, it was important to get back to a broader vision. This is a compendium of first-person faith stories that stress the intersection of Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, and Islam. I have some favorites. I particularly loved the Jewish chaplain called to the room of a dying Baptist who sincerely sits in prayer with a family ...more
James Surprenant
May 19, 2015 James Surprenant rated it it was amazing
An inspiring collection of brief essay recollecting true inter-religious and inter-faith encounters. An essential read, I believe, not only for religious folks, but for anyone concerned about peace on earth in the 21st century. I understand religion to be a human made creation to help us connect with the unknowable, the ineffable.

The encounters in this book point the way to how one can adhere to their own religious traditions faithfully while not only appreciating, but engaging in a life of true
Lee Wilkins
Jul 12, 2016 Lee Wilkins rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a very good way to round out Year Four of Education for Ministry (EfM). I found the essays enlightening, inspiring, and entertaining. It gave me hope, that in a nation that everyday seems more and more divided, people are out there honoring and celebrating each other's differences. I read it with a highlighter, because there were so many good quotes! Recommended for anyone who seeks to understand more about other faith traditions.
Judy Owens
May 29, 2014 Judy Owens rated it really liked it
While some of these essays about interfaith encounters sound as though they were patterned out of the old women's magazine tropes like "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" (They always can!) there is remarkable insight and beauty in so many of these writings. I especially loved "How a Daoist Firewalking Ceremony Made Me an Episcopalian" and Laurie L. Patton's "Sewing in Silence." Easy and inspirational reading for a variety of spiritual thinkers.
Becky Patterson
Oct 10, 2015 Becky Patterson rated it it was amazing
Great book to finish up my EFM experience. Fantastic personal stories on people's experiences with their own faith traditions and others. With so many contributors- some stories are naturally better than others, but overall excellent read. I know so many that should - though sadly won't- read this book.
Randy
Jul 24, 2016 Randy rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a group of Jews, Muslims, and various Christian denomination and other faiths, exploring and learning about each others faith history. The book provided great opportunities to relate personal experiences related to experiencing blessed moments with those of faiths different from your own.
Janet Daniels
Jun 03, 2015 Janet Daniels rated it it was amazing
I loved all the stories told in this book. I am amazed at the bravery and openness of people seeking to understand the faith of others.

This book was read by students in year 4 of Education for Ministry during the year themed "Living Faithfully in a Multicultural World."
Helen
Nov 14, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for the final year of EfM. The stories were all of open-mindedness and tolerance, hopefully something learnt in 4 years of EfM. I'm planning to share it with friends.
One of our group found some of the stories challenging, but most were moved.
Lisa
May 22, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
The stories of interfaith encounters in this book are so moving. I was brought to tears and inspired over and over.
Naomi
Nov 29, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
A variety of essays, beautifully separated into sections, create a good volume for interfaith community group study and personal sharing.
Liz Nelson
Nov 27, 2015 Liz Nelson rated it really liked it
This book grew on me as I read the book. Insightful in surprising ways. Found many tidbits of wisdom that I'll come back to in the future.
Desiree Cooper
Desiree Cooper rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Rod
Rod rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Jim Sherblom
Jim Sherblom rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Sarah Napoline
Sarah Napoline rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Edwin L
Edwin L rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015