Start by marking “Creepy Susie: and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children” as Want to Read:
Creepy Susie: and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children

Creepy Susie: and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,194 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Creepy Susie. Mary Had a Little Chainsaw. Milo's Disorder. Rosie's Crazy Mother. The Siamese Quadruplets. Emily Amputee.

Your mother never told you these stories.

She didn't want to scare you.

But Angus Oblong is not your mother.

If Edgar Allan Poe and David Lynch wrote a book, it might be as warped, wicked, and perversely funny as this treasury of twisted tales from childhoo
Published October 5th 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Creepy Susie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creepy Susie

Robert Beveridge
Angus Oblong, Creepy Susie and Thirteen Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children (Ballantine, 1999)

First off, don't let the title of this little twisted gem fool you; Angus Oblong (who, according to the “About the Author” bit, does actually illustrate childrens' books as well) did not mean this book for kids. In any way, shape, or form. To give you an illustration of why, one of the funniest panels here is of a human hand offering a biscuit to a dog, who's thinking to himself, “fuck you.” (Note
Peggy
Are you taken with the twisted tales of Edward Gorey? Do you delight in the off-kilter visions of Tim Burton? Well my brothers & sisters, have I got a book for you. Run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and pick up a copy of Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children. Between these shiny pink covers lies a whole world of naughty happiness. Read them and perhaps you, too, will ponder these questions: Where have you been all my life, Angus Oblong? Why have I not experienc ...more
Noura
one of the greatest things that I have ever read. so messed up.
Shanna

First story starts with the Debbies and Helga thinking she fits into society and was a source of entertainment for the Debbies which made Helga want to get even with them whilst the Debbies wanted to quash any hope Helga had of believing she could coexist socially with others. Meanwhile Helga went incognito to learn more about the Debbies habits, interests and whatnot, they soon deciding to have a sleepover and Helga eating all their pizza crusts, that nig
Jessica
This is a rewrite of a review I'd posted on my old book blog back in 2007/2008.

When I was in high school, my art loving best friend brought me this book and insisted I'd give it a read. I remember looking at the time and skimming through it with an expression that could never be explained and was probably quite comical.

Yes, my initial thought was "why is she giving me this"? and "this looks so weird, how am I ever going to read it?" -- but I read it anyways. Because, why not? I like to give bo
L
I thought I was going to love this. I adore Tim Burton and darkly funny usually just cracks me right up. But this was different. Somehow it just fell totally flat for me. It was more just weird and gross than creepy or funny for me. I will say that the Dick and Muffy story was pretty wonderful though! That's why I gave two stars, not one.
Amanda
I met Angus Oblong at Planet Comicon in Kansas City this past weekend, and I'm glad I stopped by his booth and picked up this book. I love the Oblongs and these stories are short but twisted enough to completely appeal to my sense of humor and entertainment.

Don't let title fool you, these aren't for young children.

Love this book!
Jessica
Definitely not for children. It's offbeat and funny, but more in an offensive South Park way than a sophisticated Edward Gorey way. I got a kick out of it. It's mostly drawings with a sentence or two per pages, so it can be read in about an hour (or less).
sara ahmed
incredibly shocking in all the right ways.
Ryan
Holy shit this book is so funny!
Ashley
As I was reorganizing bookshelves, I came across this little treat of horrible, wonderful, horrible, obscene, crudely drawn, yet delightfully entertaining short tales. I've read this collection many times and never fail to snicker (and then hate myself a little for it) at the perverse humor that is Angus Oblong. Under the guise of children's tales (think short bedtime stories, all with "The End" at the close) but most definitely NOT for children, this is a love it or hate it type book. Enjoy whe ...more
Whitney
Bought this book from Angus Oblong himself (in full clown make-up no less) at Planet Comic Con in Kansas City. As a fan of the animated adult show "The Oblongs" (which was based loosely on characters from this book) it was definitely a highlight of my super nerdy weekend! Especially when he called me stupid for dropping an expensive hardbound art book I had just purchased. Doh! As he was drawing Pickles Oblong on the title page, he wistfully looked up when he got to her martini glass and proclai ...more
Keisha Keenleyside
What to say about Creepy Susie.... Well its certainly a good book for cheering you up thats for sure.

When this book arrived i was thinking it would be a book of short warped stories so i was rather surprised to find it like a comic in the way it was told with illustrations and little quirky sentences.

Much like the Bunny Suicide books, the illustrations themselves were relatively simple and fit well with the short text that went with them. My favorite out of the bunch would be the sibling rivalr
Emilie
Super quick read. If ya got like 30 minutes to kill you can knock this out and have a nice chuckle or two. I rather liked looking at the stories and art from the author. Its nice if you are into twisted humor that's for sure and if you enjoyed this book watch the show its based off of, The Oblongs.
Ruby
I adore black humor, so I'm in love with this book. It's really creepy, it made me to laugh out loud and I found out that Susie is really like me. (By coincidence her great great great grandmother's name was Ruby :D)
Some of the stories were kind of boring, but most of them were great.
Jennifer Dulac
So confused. Sad I spent money on this. Not even close to what I thought it would be, even though I read what it was about and take full responsibility and understanding that I was going to read something weird and f%#!ed up.
Michelle
Wow! What can I say about this book? Firstly, do not share this with children! It is creepy. It is troubling. But it is also very entertaining in a very twisted way. Yep, that about sums it up.
Ming
While the art style was amusing and while I enjoyed the story, "Scottie the Narcoleptic", the book overall fell short of my expectations as it did not make me laugh much...
Mayo
I want to meet this author and hug him from the back while thinking about Vikings and cats. Then I'd love to cut off his skull.

-The End.
Beau Johnston
A disgraceful collection of twisted and disturbing stories. I have read it many times and still get a good laugh out of it.
Faezeh
Oct 03, 2014 Faezeh added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: برتون‌دوست‌ها،لینچ‌دوست ها
نمیدونم چی بگم واقعن.نمیدونم معیارم برای قضاوت این کتاب چی باید باشه. ...more
Brandin
I acquired my signed copy of this book when I met the author at Chicago ComicCon 2011. He was a great guy. He smiled, he was happy to meet fans. He'd sign anything you wanted him to for free, even if you brought in your own copy. It was so great to meet him in person as I am a huge fan of The Oblongs show.
That said, this is one messed up book. It's brilliant in its horrid treatment of its characters. There is a bit of disgusting, violent content here, but it's hilarious, so that's okay. If you l
Krista Ashe
anne_rb
Creepy? Gross and disgusting fit much better!

Lo siento Angus pero me has pillado de mal humor. Si fuese otro día quizás te hubiese dado un "Ok" (2) por la historia de la siniestra Susie y alguna otra, que extrañamente poseían algo de sentido, trama o bueno ya que estamos, humor. El resto, 85%, una basura absurda, sin sentido ni p. gracia.
Kimmie
This book was apparently perfect for me because I have recently been informed that I am "dark and twisty" inside. It is no way a children's book- but formatted like one. I did not like it as much as "I can be anything"- another book that is a chidlrens book, not for children.

The illustrations are hilarious and cover all taboo topics.
Alice
Jan 16, 2008 Alice rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people less negative than me
i read this book in the heart of my goth youth, and DID NOT like it. not a big fan of books that have to beat you over the head with how adorably disturbing they are. just blah.

when i want to read something cartoony and unfailingly funny and creepy, i always go to the master - edward gorey.
Jack Thornsberry
If you are really twisted, enjoy seemingly normal stories that end with people dying, and hated the in-crowd in high school then please please read this book. This is not a kids book so do not mistake it for that. Enjoy!!
William
I found this mildly humorous in a sick demented kind of way. My favorite was about the Siamese twins. Hardly worth the money for how short it was. It consists mostly of cartoon drawings with only a few words on each page.
  • The Monsters in my Tummy
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes
  • Death, Jr.
  • Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Sky Tongues
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • Everything Can Be Beaten
  • Pat the Zombie: A Cruel (Adult) Spoof
  • The Menstruating Mall
  • Super Giant Monster Time! (Choose Your Own Mind-Fuck Fest #3)
  • Boris and Bella
Creepy Susie: And 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children Galaxyfest 2012 Omnibus