Start by marking “Zayde Comes to Live” as Want to Read:
Zayde Comes to Live

Zayde Comes to Live

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Rachels grandfather, her zayde, has come to live with her family. Though no one has told her, Rachel knows it is because Zayde is dying, and she worries what will happen to him. Her friends religions offer her no solace, and although she gets some answers from her Rabbi about where Zayde may go, Rachel still cant imagine her own life without Zayde in it. It is only when sh ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Peachtree Publ

To ask other readers questions about Zayde Comes to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zayde Comes to Live

Barbara
Aug 19, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
One of the most appealing parts of this book about a dying grandfather is the title and the notion that Rachel's grandfather will live every moment until he dies. Death is a topic that many of us would prefer not to tackle in classrooms or at home, but this title does so with grace, wisdom, and respect. By enjoying the remaining time she has with her grandfather, Rachel learns to savor the time she has and the memories they are making right now. The questions Rachel asks about dying and what com ...more
Paul  Hankins
I got to see the ARC of this title at NetGalley. I would like to see the accompanying artwork to this tender text when the book releases in October.

Tender text tells the story of Rachel and when her Zayde comes to live at her house at the end of his life.

This is one of those poignant picture books we talk about that get missed when we write off this format for our younger and older readers. Here is an issue that many of our young people face. I love Zayde's gentle voice and counsel in this one
Erika Dreifus
The children’s book market isn’t an area I know especially well. But when Sheri Sinykin contacted me to see if I’d be interested in a review copy of her picture book, ZAYDE COMES TO LIVE (illustrated by Kristina Swarner; Peachtree Publishers; release date October 1, 2012), I accepted. Gratefully.

The story introduces us to Rachel, a young Jewish girl whose grandfather (“Zayde”) has come to live with her family. “It’s because he is dying,” Rachel tells us. And Rachel is worried, because she doesn’
Lauren Kilmer
Jun 10, 2013 Lauren Kilmer rated it liked it
Shelves: primary-books
Audience: Primary

The genre for this book is realistic fiction because it focuses on the universal human problems of death and religion; and it is true to life in its subject and form, yet is drawn from the author's imagination.

Connection: Text-to-text
Zayde Comes to Live is a book that attempts to make sense of the many complicated versions of death. When I read this story I was reminded of how common the subject of death is in literature, but at the same time how differently it is viewed and po
Dena (Batch of Books)
Sep 24, 2012 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I got this book via Net Galley for review. I only got the text, no illustrations, so I can only comment on the story itself and not the artwork.

Death is a very sensitive topic and one that most people would rather not address. For children especially, it can be a frightening subject. Zayde Comes to Live is a gentle explanation of the complicated experience of death. It is told from a child's perspective, and it is very warm and comforting.

I loved the part where the rabbi comes to visit the famil
Julee
Sep 29, 2012 Julee rated it really liked it
A tender story of how Rachel's grandfather, her Zayde, comes to spend the last part of his life with her family. Rachel grasps the concept of her grandfather's approaching death and she begins to worry about what will happen to him after he passes. Her Zayde comforts her by sharing how he is living every moment of his life until his time comes. Like many children who are concerned about a loved one, Rachel is filled with questions that deserve answers. She seeks council from her friends and rabb ...more
Angie
Sep 28, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
This was a very beautiful book that deals with the death of a loved one from a child's perspective. The many questions and concerns and uncertainties that go along with sickness and death. Even though this book is based on the Jewish culture, I think it can be applied to other cultures as well. It was beautifully written.
Emily Stueven
Aug 19, 2014 Emily Stueven rated it really liked it
Children's books about death and dying are rarely so celebratory, so life-affirming, so reassuring as this one, the story of Rachel and her grandfather, whom she calls Zayde.

It is not overtly religious, but gives a respectful nod to the afterlife expectations of three major world religions: Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. Each has value. But, in the end, it is Zayde's life that is the important thing. As the Rabbi says, when Rachel asks if her grandfather is dying, "He is living until the mom
Caryn Caldwell
Jul 18, 2013 Caryn Caldwell rated it really liked it
When Rachel's grandpa comes to live with her family, she quickly figures out that he's dying. What she can't figure out is what will happen to him when he is gone. She asks her friends and her rabbi, but ultimately finds peace when she discusses the issue with Zayde himself. She decides to simply cherish his last days with her and trust that it will all work out.

This book covers a very sensitive subject in a loving and ultimately uplifting way. While the author shows death and dying from a disti
Sanchi
Aug 19, 2012 Sanchi rated it liked it
So I got this book via netgalley for review. I read this to my boys for bedtime and based on their reaction as well as mine I rated it 3 out of 5 stars. The story is about a young girl named Rachel who is trying to understand about Zayde and why he is dying and where he will go when he dies. I thought the message in the book was a very good one, however the characters were not well developed in the book and I feel there wasn't enough detailed information on them. I was left confused at the end o ...more
Michigosling
This was a beautiful and touching story. I loved the rabbi's answer to Rachel's question, and I wish we could have had a book like this when my children were small and starting to lose older relatives. I only had a few issues with the theology, and a second reading cleared them up, but one: I don't think it's right to suggest that Jews and Muslims don't believe in the same God. The Arabic name is only slightly different from the Hebrew word for god, and even though the two religions have differe ...more
Danielle
Mar 25, 2015 Danielle added it
Shelves: picture-books
A frank book about a girl's grandfather dying.
Dina Tanners
Jan 28, 2013 Dina Tanners rated it it was amazing
This 32-page children's picture book about a very ill grandfather who comes to live with the family of a young girl is truly a wonderful book. It deals with the subject of illness and death directly at the level of a 4 to 6-year-old and is quite poignant but also comforting. The child knows that zayde is dying but is afraid to say anything to her parents. She asks the rabbi when he visits as she knows rabbis never lie. I highly recommend it
Maddypictures
Oct 16, 2012 Maddypictures rated it it was amazing
Stunning, sad and wonderful. Zayde comes to live at their house... but the unspoken truth is that it won't be for long. He's very ill - and this is a book about preparing a child for the idea that our elders won't be with us forever. The grandfather in the story is pictured with oxygen tubes in his nose. A moving story. I cried!
Jayna
Jul 25, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it
Ages 5 and up

The story of Rachela as her grandfather comes to live with her family as he is dying. It is a sweet story about celebrating living. This would be good for families that are dealing with the process of losing a loved one. The story is Jewish focused, but the message can be universal.
Toni Palma
Feb 13, 2013 Toni Palma rated it it was amazing
I read this in galley form. This book is sensitive in its telling and the illustrations spark a dreamy tone. This book is very useful for an adult who is looking for a way to broach the difficult subject of death with a young child.
Samantha
Dec 11, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
A little girl makes peace with the fact that her grandfather is nearing the end of his life. Illustrations of linoleum prints with watercolor and colored pencil help in a muted palette set a peaceful tone that supports the text.
Barbara
Jun 05, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
What a special, loving story! The topic of death and dying is hard to write about for young children. This story is touching and would be very helpful for a child with an aging grandparent. To be read one on one.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A young girl know that her grandfather has come to live with her family because he is dying. She is concerned about what will happen to him after he dies. From a Jewish religious perspective.
ReadingWench
Aug 21, 2012 ReadingWench rated it really liked it
Rachel, a Jewish girl, is concerned about her grandfather dying. Not to worry, he will live until the moment he dies. This makes a sad moment into more of a smile moment.

AR 2.6
Craig Wiesner
Nov 06, 2013 Craig Wiesner rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful way to look at death and dying with a bit of Christian, Jewish, and Muslim perspectives but in the end being open to all possibilities of what happens when we die.
Donalyn
Rachel's grandfather comes to live with her family as he nears the end of his life. Finding strength and comfort from her Jewish faith, Rachel each moment with her grandfather.
Kelsey
Religion: Judaism
Tough Issue: Death

I appreciate that the illustrator chose to draw oxygen tubes on the grandpa, providing a realistic portrayal.
Paula
Dec 05, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Rachel's grandfather is dying. This book about death in Jewish family is an open way to show children about the living days
Ann
Jan 28, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Top Ten Religion & Spirituality Books for Youth 2013 (Booklist)
Edward Sullivan
Aug 08, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A moving, sensitive story about a young girl facing the death of her grandfather comforted by her Jewish faith.
Daryl Murphy
Nov 19, 2012 Daryl Murphy rated it it was amazing
PB25 - I recommend this book for any child dealing with a sick family member or one who has recently passed away.
Polly
Nov 20, 2013 Polly rated it really liked it
I'd want to read this to my child if I had one and we were facing the death of an older relative or friend.
Nov 13, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
An excellent choice for a child with a terminally ill family member. Sensitive, but straightforward.
Susan
Dec 03, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful book about a little girl dealing with her grandfather dying.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
GIVING UP THE GHOST (Peachtree), Sheri Sinykin's new 'tween novel, breaks a nine-year writer's block, during which time she earned her MFA in Writing for Children from Vermont College.

Set on a haunted plantation near New Orleans two years after Hurricane Katrina, GIVING UP THE GHOST's themes of fear, grief, and forgiveness--leavened with humor and gripped by a ghostly mystery--offer comfort and h
More about Sheri Cooper Sinykin...