Blank-133x176
Magia a metà

Edward Eager

Magia a metà (Tales of Magic #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  19,471 ratings  ·  894 reviews
Four children wish on a Half Magic coin that gets their mother Alison half-way home, rescued by Mr Smith. Mark's wish zaps them to a desert without island, where half-talking cat Carrie gabbles to a camel. Romantic Katherine battles Launcelot. Eldest Jane rejects siblings for another family. Stubborn youngest, Martha, causes a riot downtown.
224 pages
Published 2005 by Mondadori Scuola (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Magia a metà, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magia a metà

Manny
"It seems a shame," said Jane, "that no one's going to know about our adventures. They would make such a good book. If only we could write them down!"

"But how would we do that?" asked Mark. "We're just kids. Oh. Wait. You don't mean..."

"I certainly do!" said Jane. "We just have to wish for it, and the Charm will take care of the rest. But we need to wish very carefully. Now, what kind of book do we want it to be?"

"I want it to be like one of E. Nesbit's books!" said Katherine. "Though... if the...more
Melody
Would you believe I grew up in Toledo, Ohio and never noticed while reading and re-reading this that it was set in my hometown? It's true. I don't know if I just figured ALL books were set there, and that's why the street names were so familiar or if I was just extraordinarily clueless. I figured it out finally when I was reading this to my son. It seems worth talking about in view of how worried people sometimes get about kids getting the wrong message from books- sometimes kids don't even noti...more
colleen
oh, one of my all time favorites. i LOVE when they wish the cat could talk and since it is half-magic, the cat's every other word is "meow."

i bought this (and the rest of the series) for my niece for christmas a couple of years ago, and i can't wait until my daughters are old enough to read it.
Jesse
Summertime belongs to childhood. The grown-up version, with BBQs and yard work, can’t compare to the long, long days spent exploring and digging in the dirt.

Now, I’m a winter girl, through and through, but when the lightning bugs start to rise up out of the grass, I start to ache for the summers from when I was little. Unfortunately, all the kids who used to comeoutandplay have moved on, and I’ve been trying to eat less dirt, so I was at a loss for a way to revisit my summers.

Then I remembered E...more
Spencer
I read the first 2 chapters a day or two ago and was intrigued. Today I picked it up again and read the third chapter. It had me laughing out loud. So, I finished it today.

This is, apparently, a children's book. Back in the day, children were considerably more well-read. They would have had to be, otherwise they would miss the multitude of references to other works of literature. For example there is the part that goes something like this (not quoting verbatim, but it goes something generally li...more
Connie
Mostly, I love this book. I liked it as a kid (except for that caveat I'll get to in a minute). I like it now, as a grown-up. The story is interesting and engaging. The trouble the kids get themselves into is believable (well, for a fantasy novel...!), and I like their solutions. The problem of having to double all your wishes is interesting to me. The only thing is...

The only thing is that a whole chapter is taken up with a trip to a desert, where the children run across an evil, wicked, terrib...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Five children find a silver medallion, and discover that it grants wishes - but only half-way! Hilarity ensues. My favorite part is when they idly wish the cat could talk. And then, it sort of CAN talk, in kitty fashion. Hee!
This is my favorite book by Eager, with lots of wit and humor. A classic of children's literature, but not in a stuffy way.
Melissa
Reading this aloud to Beanie (7 yrs). She adores it, as did her sisters before her. Eager cracks me up: very wry humor and realistic characterizations—in a fantasy where unlikely events are occurring. It's a delicious combination.

Written in the spirit of E. Nesbit's books, this is the tale of four siblings who find a magical charm that grants wishes—sort of. It only grants *half* a wish, which causes all sorts of confusion and misadventure.
sj
Originally posted here as part of the 30 Day Book Challenge.

This one is easy.

The Book That Made Me Fall In Love With Reading

I don't even know what to say about this book. If you haven't read it, you should. If you have younger children, read it to them.

Half Magic was written in the 50s about a family living in the 20s, so of course it's dated, but it's still as full of charm as ever. As an adult I catch little literary references that I missed when I was young, and that adds to my love of thi...more
Logan
Listened to this on CD on a trip and Logan loved it. This is the first of Eager's magic books. He was a great fan of E. Nesbit and his books pay homage to her. A group of siblings finds a coin that grants wishes, but they realize quickly that they only get half what they wish for. Of course, even when they figure that out, it's still true that that wishes often don't turn out quite the way you planned! Some sexism, as it was written in the 50's about the 20's, but other than that, nice family en...more
Donald
Oct 11, 2007 Donald rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Young Of All Ages
Edward Eager was my very first "favorite" author. I remember reading "Half Magic" and feeling a light turn on in my mind; my imagination was stimulated like never before. This is the first of a series of magical adventures involving two sets of children, who are intertwined biologically and magically (in Eager's later book "The Time Garden," the children of the characters in this book and "Magic By The Lake" would be saved by their own future children). Basically, this is the story of four child...more
Kirei
This is about four siblings who find a magic charm that can fulfill wishes.

There is a part about an Arab. He is supposed to be a not very nice guy. I felt I had to address this in my review. I did not like the way he was portrayed, yet at the same time we have to remember that this was written in the nineteen-fifties. It is unfortunate that this chapter is part of the book, but oh well.... Other than that I thought it was a cute book.

I did like how this book refers to other famous books, parti...more
Meg Cabot
Edward Eager's Half Magic was 1 of my favorite comfort books as a kid and I can still quote from it.
Marianne
Half Magic is a story about some kids who are having a very boring summer. That changes when they find a strange coin that gives you wishes you ask for. But soon they discover it gives them half only half what they ask for. So they have to ask for two x what they want. A great book to read any day!
Lisa Vegan
May 13, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids 7 & up, fantasy & kids' lit fans
Loved this book in elementary school. This is my favorite book in the series and the one I remember best also. I love the “half magic” concept. Charming adventure story. Like the kids. Love the magic, especially the way it works in this book. Really imaginative.
Jesse Bornemann
Anytime I visit a bookstore, I spend a good 15 minutes browsing the children's section. More often than not, I succumb to nostalgia (and a hot wallet) and buy a title I remember fondly. On reckless days, I wind up carrying away something like Baby-sitters on Board!: Super Special #1. (I can't say I'm particularly proud of those days, but sometimes a girl just needs a fix.) Then, other afternoons, I take my time and select a classic I've almost forgotten. I never have a great recollection of thes...more
Cruth
Author: Edward Eager
Illustrator: N M Bodecker
First Published: 1954
Introduction: by Jack Gantos, April 2004

I am continually surprised at how engaged my 7yo becomes with older books. Here I am thinking the style and vocabulary, the settings and character expectations will fail to embrace her, and yet these are the books we *both* want just one more chapter.

Sure, there are some fabulous contemporary books we love.

But it is her willingness to breathe the classics which makes sharing them with her a...more
Mamamaggie
maggie and I really liked this book. It is the first we have read together that is this length & we are very excited to read more creative fiction like this together. Very much like Edward Eager's writing and plan on starting the next of the series.
maggie (6 yo) liked the pictures and the magic coin. that was her favorite part. in the book possession of the magic coin allows the possessor's wishes to come half-true. it was imaginative but not frightening, even in the section where knights of...more
Blake
Becky
I enjoyed discovering Edward Eager's Half Magic. I had heard wonderful things about it, and I was not disappointed. Half Magic begins simply: "It began one day in summer about thirty years ago, and it happened to four children. Jane was the oldest and Mark was the only boy, and between them they ran everything. Katherine was the middle girl, of docile disposition and a comfort to her mother...Martha was the youngest, and very difficult." One day, Jane is given what she thinks is a nickel; she ma...more
Elizabeth
I loved this book as a kid, and I'm glad I came across it again now. It's a really *nice* book: there isn't the meanness that happens in some kid stories (okay, I guess I'm still traumatized from our reading of Matilda). I didn't have to explain anything too major or serious to Adriana. The kids are kind to one another and not particularly obnoxious. I was pleased by what came across to me as the benign neglect of parenting in the 1950s--the kids' mother works and there is a housekeeper who is s...more
Basically this is a treacly old-fashioned children's fantasy novel with fairly obnoxious children as the protagonists. Uggh, Martha. But then I read a passage that greatly improved my attitude toward Half Magic. After the children have traveled back to olden times and are trying to rescue Sir Launcelot from some dumb trap, the evil knights who are holding him captive sing this song while enjoying a hearty meal:

"Speak roughly to our Launcelot
And beat him with a brier!
And kick him in the pants a l
Sophie Riggsby
This was one of my favorite childhood books. I read this in possibly Third or Fourth Grade and I still remember it fondly. Since then, I've read it to my children, who loved it as much as I do.

Looking back, I think this book along with Wizard of Oz started my fascination with fantasy fiction. It explains my love of urban fantasy/paranormal romance today. But, it is a childrens book. With sweet characters and a great little plot that actually uses math!! Thus, the Half potion of Half Magic.

If you...more
The Holy Terror
It is difficult to put my finger on exactly what I didn't love about Half Magic, but I thought this review brought up some really good points. I thought this book was a bit racist and sexist, I couldn't remember which kid was which and the idea for the magic was ill-conceived; if you can just ask for twice of something, what is the reason for halving it? I just didn't see a point.

I think this might be one of those stories we love as a child that ends up not working because we see things differen...more
Ines
Laugh all you want, but children's books is where it's at. They, my oldest friends, are the ones that continue to resonate within me to this day. I can re-read them now and still feel that slight tug of excitement in my chest, that urge to quickly turn the page. I don't care how old I am, I'll feel the same way when I'm 40, 70, 100.

This particular installment of Eager's series is what started me on the idea that, really, magic is just around the corner.

One hot summer's day, four children find...more
Jaishree
What a lovely book! Took me right back to my childhood..when it seemed quite possible that magic lurked in the most mundane of things.
Teri
After years of having read "Magic by the Lake," also by Edward Eager, and having thoroughly loved the book, I decided, after all these years and even though I am no longer a child, that I should try one of his others. So yesterday evening, I picked up a copy from the library. Of course, the style was directed toward children, which made it somewhat less interesting for an adult; but I still found it very charming and humorous. It also contains moral lessons that the children learn throughout the...more
My boys and I listened to this in the car and they were pretty well enchanted by the idea of finding a charm that grants half wishes. I enjoyed the story as well, even though there were lots of bits that were painfully dated (the boy is acknowledged to be smart just because he's a boy and the girls aren't just because they're girls, the mom's fondest wish is to quit her job and stay at home with the kids, even in the face of potentially having a very prestigious, high paying position, etc.). Sti...more
Christina
Somehow I missed reading this book as a child. it was on a list of must-read childhood books and I decided to give it a try. I loved the idea of the story, a coin that only grants 1/2 of your wish. But, the kids over came the obstacle rather quickly and that hurt the story a little for me. I enjoyed when they went off to exotic and historical places, but again that plot element was also halted in the story. All and all, it was just okay for me. As for my kids, 6 and 4, they were into it until th...more
Will
"The children never went to the country or a lake in the summer, the way their friends did, because their father was dead and their mother worked very hard on the other newspaper, the one almost nobody on the block took. A woman named Miss Bick came in every day to care for the children, but she couldn't seem to care for them very much, nor they for her. And she wouldn't take them to the country or a lake; she said it was too much to expect and the sound of waves affected her heart.

'Clear Lake i...more
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Publication Year 3 24 Aug 25, 2011 10:27PM
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Witch Family
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • Toys Go Out (Toys #1)
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • The Magic City
  • The Saturdays (The Melendy Family, #1)
  • The Silver Crown
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • The Search for Delicious
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • The Enormous Egg
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy
Eager was born in and grew up in Toledo, Ohio and attended Harvard University class of 1935. After graduation, he moved to New York City, where he lived for 14 years before moving to Connecticut. He married Jane Eberly in 1938 and they had a son, Fritz.

Eager was a childhood fan of L. Frank Baum's Oz series, and started writing children's books when he could not find stories he wanted to read to h...more
More about Edward Eager...
Knight's Castle Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7) Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3) The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4) Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)

“Still, even without the country or a lake, the summer was a fine thing, particularly when you were at the beginning of it, looking ahead into it. There would be months of beautifully long, empty days, and each other to play with, and the books from the library.” 16 likes
“In the summer you could take out ten books at a time, instead of three, and keep them a month, instead of two weeks. Of course you could take only four of the fiction books, which were the best, but Jane liked plays and they were nonfiction, and Katharine liked poetry and that was nonfiction, and Martha was still the age for picture books, and they didn’t count as fiction but were often nearly as good. Mark hadn’t found out yet what kind of nonfiction he liked, but he was still trying. Each month he would carry home his ten books and read the four good fiction ones in the first four days, and then read one page each from the other six, and then give up. Next month he would take them back and try again. The nonfiction books he tried were mostly called things like “When I was a Boy in Greece,” or “Happy Days on the Prairie”—things that made them sound like stories, only they weren’t. They made Mark furious. “It’s being made to learn things not on purpose. It’s unfair,” he said. “It’s sly.” Unfairness and slyness the four children hated above all.” 2 likes