Start by marking “The Tooth Mouse” as Want to Read:
The Tooth Mouse

The Tooth Mouse

In this charming picture book written by Susan Hood, the Tooth Mouse (who replaces the Tooth Fairy in French-speaking countries) has called a meeting to announce her retirement. ?I am not as spry as I used to be ... I have decided it is time to name my successor!? she tells the surprised crowd. Sophie, an energetic and very tiny mouse, desperately wants the job. ?C'est moi ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tooth Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tooth Mouse

Marlow and the Monster by Sharon CramerSquid and Octopus Friends for Always by Tao NyeuThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William JoyceTwo for One by Kate DiCamilloBear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead
Most Anticipated Picture Books of 2012
30th out of 71 books — 69 voters
The Tooth Mouse by Susan HoodThe Tooth Fairy Wars by Kate CoombsHere Comes the Tooth Fairy Cat by Deborah UnderwoodThe Tooth Fairy by Shirley BarberLoose Tooth Trouble by Melissa Bixby
The Tooth Fairy
1st out of 29 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Oct 19, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful story about a little French mouse who wants to be The Tooth Mouse, a different cultural version of the tooth fairy. She must compete with other mice to accomplish three tasks to win the title. Fresh illustrations and a smattering of French phrases make this book a little gem on how the little guy, or girl, can come out ahead if they try and believe in themselves.
Stephanie
Oct 29, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute, and I didn't see the ending at all.

Adorable mouse, Sophie, loves to be helpful and pick up coins as she dances around Paris. When the Tooth Mouse says that she is looking for a successor, Sophie competes against all odds. Each trial brings Sophie closer to realizing her dream with beautiful illustrations and French phrases thrown in for good measure.

This book is so cute, and each of the trials also contains a little lesson about what it means to be a good, honorable person
Kifflie
Oct 16, 2012 Kifflie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In France (and other countries), what Americans call the "Tooth Fairy" is the "Tooth Mouse." The current Tooth Mouse is retiring, and has called on all her potential successors to meet three challenges. The winner will become the new Tooth Mouse.

Sophie, "the mouse who would NOT go to bed," finds an intelligent and creative way to meet all three challenges.

This is a delightful story with interesting pencil and watercolor illustrations. The French phrases are a nice touch, and Sophie's solution to
Erica
Aug 17, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
The old Tooth Mouse in France is retiring and looking for a new mouse to replace her. Little Sophie is a mouse who would rather stay up and play than sleep. When she finds out that there will be a new Tooth Mouse, she decides to try out. The mice who want to become the next Tooth Mouse have to complete three tasks - get the whisker of a cat, honestly get a silver coin and decide what to do with all of the teeth that will be collected from under children's pillows over the next few days.

Sophie co
Dec 13, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
soooo loverly! J'adore la petite souris!
Kelsey
Oct 10, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Country: France

What if the tooth fairy was not a fairy but a mouse? And what if that mouse were to retire? Who would take up her responsibilities? Although the author doesn't describe why, Sophie, the littlest mouse, would love to be the Tooth Mouse. I enjoyed how the story was told as a 3-tiered competition, each tier eliminating contestants. The ending also allows the listener to guess what Sophie did to solve the problem.
Tracie
Nov 19, 2012 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
In the U.S., children are taught that the Tooth Fairy brings them money in exchange for their baby teeth--but in other parts of the world, this is the task of the Tooth Mouse. When the wise old Tooth Mouse decides it is time to name a successor, young Sophie must prove she is brave enough, honest enough, and clever enough to win the job.

A gentle French fable for curious kids who believe in magic.
Sharon Lawler
Nov 02, 2012 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-picturebooks
When the Tooth Mouse in France deciides to retire, Sophie, a very small mouse, decides to try fornthebjob. Three problems must be solved , which demonstrate honesty, courage, and creative problem solving. The book introduces us to the concept ofntheToothnFairybin other countries, and the end papers are used to list the variations across the globe.
Jennifer Strong
Jan 31, 2016 Jennifer Strong rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2016
Sophie dreams of being the Tooth Mouse. The day finally comes when the current Tooth Mouse will choose a successor. Though she is the smallest mouse, Sophie does her best to complete the three challenges required. The last test is the hardest, and Sophie feels discouraged, but she pulls through in the end and her dream is fulfilled!

This story is a slight variation in the Tooth Fairy idea. Instead of a fairy coming in the night to swap teeth for coins, a mouse does it. A memo in the book states t
Lynn
Oct 19, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! So different and with lovely illustrations that include lots of fun interesting details. "Tooth" books are surprisingly hard to find and this one is really out of the ordinary.
Benji Martin
Sep 07, 2012 Benji Martin rated it really liked it
I was looking for a great book to read to third graders, and I came across this one opin my new books from JLG. I like it a lot and I think the students will too.
Bridget R. Wilson
Charming story. It will be a great addition to my tooth story time in February. I didn't realize different countries have different tooth traditions...very interesting.
Meghan
Feb 03, 2016 Meghan added it
Shelves: kids-books
So cute!

Even more so because there are a few french expressions in it.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 23, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A finely crafted fable offering a charming variation on the tooth fairy.
Peacegal
Aug 08, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
This is the gently surreal tale of France's version of the Tooth Fairy.
Eloise
Nov 01, 2012 Eloise rated it really liked it
Quite detailed picture book.
Polly
Oct 18, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it
Charming!
Sherri
Feb 11, 2016 Sherri added it
Shelves: picture-book
A very sweet picture book about the Tooth Mouse in France choosing her successor by making those who want to take her place perform their difficult tasks that force them to be brave, honest and creative. My special education students will love this story about how children from another country give up their baby teeth.
Debby Baumgartner
Who will be the next tooth mouse since the present one is retiring? Those who wish to become the next tooth mouse must pass three tasks that demonstrate bravery, honesty and wisdom. One little female mouse wants to the tooth mouse. Will she pass the three tasks?
Eva Kelly
Feb 27, 2015 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
So THIS is what those mice do!
And the teeth all go to babies. That makes sense.
I'm glad Sophie got the job. I knew she would.
This one has such great pictures.
They said "mais non," which means "but no."
Kadie
Jul 06, 2015 Kadie rated it really liked it
The story of the tooth mouse is a cute twist on the American tooth fairy. It also gives your readers some exposure to French.
Brianna
Apr 28, 2015 Brianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, reviewed
A really cute story about a small and sleepless mouse who enters a competition to become the Tooth Mouse. Sophie learns to be brave, honest, and creative. Even with the odds against her, Sophie tries her best to reach her goal. The Tooth Mouse takes place in France so you can introduce a new culture and some new phrases to your child in another language. I think this is a good book for showing kids that they can be and do anything they want if they try and really want that something bad enough. ...more
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it really liked it
A well-crafted story about the Tooth Fairy, otherwise known as the Tooth Mouse in some parts of the world!
A Tisbear
Sep 03, 2015 A Tisbear rated it really liked it
Quaint introduction to tooth mouse through a tale of persistence & creative thinking.
Dotty
Jun 30, 2015 Dotty rated it it was amazing
LOVED this one! Storyline, illustrations and French connection very fun!
Lorelie
Dec 29, 2015 Lorelie rated it really liked it
Very interesting tale.
Clarissa
Mar 02, 2013 Clarissa rated it liked it
A charming picture book. In some cultures instead of a toothfairy there is a tooth mouse who takes teeth from under pillows and puts money in their place. Sophie really wants to become the next tooth mouse since the old one is about to retire. Will Sophie complete the three tasks that the toothmouse sets? The illustrations are a delight, and much of the story takes place in a Cathedral in Paris.
Jen
Jul 27, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
This is the story of the Tooth Mouse who is getting up there in age and is looking for a replacement. She's looking for someone brave, wise and honest. Can little Sophie Mouse make the cut? I enjoyed reading this book, but I didn't care for the French terminology used in it. I don't know any French at all, so while I could figure out some of the terms, I couldn't do that with all of them.
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I think that in France they must have a tooth mouse versus a tooth fairy (like in the US). In this tale, a little mouse wants to be the tooth mouse and finally gets a chance at the job when the current tooth mouse retires and is having "tryouts" for her replacement.

Story emphasizes creativity and ingenuity.

Charming illustrations.
Shawna
Dec 31, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it
Sophie, a tiny mouse who would not go to bed, decides to try to become the Tooth Mouse. She must prove that she is brave, honest and wise if she is to be chosen. The book begins by explaining that in some parts of the world, instead of the Tooth Fairy there is a Tooth Mouse. With French phrases intermixed and lovely illustrations, this book make an enjoyable read aloud!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Harlem's Little Blackbird: The Story of Florence Mills
  • Oliver
  • Cecil the Pet Glacier
I am a children's picture book author with three new books coming out this summer and fall!

JUST SAY BOO!