Start by marking “Enemy Territory” as Want to Read:
Enemy Territory

Enemy Territory

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Trained to hate, two boys discover friendship instead."

Sam, an Israeli teen whose leg may have to be amputated, and Yusuf, a Palestinian teen who has lost his left eye, find themselves uneasy roommates in a Jerusalem hospital. One night, the boys decide to slip away while the nurses aren't looking and go on an adventure to the Old City.

The escapade turns dangerous when th
Published June 21st 2012 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Enemy Territory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemy Territory

Initial reaction: Wow, this book was very good. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, and I thought it was a very realistic, eye-opening look at two boys with rooted prejudices that learn to become friends over some rather tough events. The story itself is quite character focused and I personally love these kinds of stories, but what really hit home with me was how well McKay touches on the divisions and assumptions between groups without forcing the ideals down the throat of the reader. ...more
Sally Kruger
ENEMY TERRITORY by Sharon E. McKay artfully presents man's struggle to identify with other cultures and recognize that despite our differences, we are the same. In choosing two cultures that have historically been at odds, McKay illustrates her point and hopefully leaves readers with a lot to think about.

Sam is Jewish and lives in Israel. Yusuf is a Palestinian teen currently in a Jerusalem hospital for complications from an eye injury. The two become uncomfortable roommates. The tension is obvi
Ruty  B
In a war you are taught that the enemy is the bad guy and you have to hate the people on the other side. But sometimes in a war there are no good and bad, death is part of it and the pain and suffering touches all the members in the conflict.

Enemy Territory is a beautiful story about fear, hate, hope and above all humanity. It helps us see how we create demons with the faces of our enemies forgetting that we have the same essence. We are all people who hurt, cry, laugh, dream and love.

Sam, an Is
Margo Tanenbaum
Given the complexity of the topic, it's perhaps not surprising that there's not a plethora of novels for young people on the Israeli-Palistinian conflict. It's a topic that ignites fires of passion on both sides, and what a challenge for a novelist to try to present a balanced point of view in a book for young people.

I was very impressed with Sharon McKay's take on this topic. She presents us with two teenaged boys, one Jewish Israeli and one Palestinian, who are thrown together as roommates in
Enemy Territory follows two boys, one Muslim, one Jewish, who find themselves in the same precarious situation by chance. Even though society dictates that they be enemies, something even they believed at first, Yusuf and Sam soon realize that there's more to each other than what they first thought, and that hatred is not the solution to anything.

This book was very heartwarming even if a little predictable in where it was going. Their friendship was very realistic which I liked. There isn't one
An Israeli boy and a Palestinian boy become friends in the hospital. Their decision to go find candy in the Old City leads to a journey of self-discovery. Great for study of perspective.
Sam is a Jewish Israeli teen, Yusuf is a Muslim Palestinian teen. They both end up in the same hospital in Jerusalem where they are very suspicious of each other's differences. However, they sneak out one night to explore Old Town. They get lost and end up relying heavily on each other to survive despite hostilities about their differing beliefs and backgrounds.

A fascinating look at the situation in the Middle East. A fast read also. HIghly recommend for reluctant boy readers - or anyone who wan
Sean Kottke
This reminds me of Sting's song "Russians," applied to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. How does a generation without direct connection to the roots of a multi-generational conflict choose to be in the world? Can both sides create a fresh slate, or are they doomed to perpetuate the conflict, inflicting fresh wounds to renew old grudges? Take "Russians," add in the Oscar-nominated documentary 5 Broken Cameras and pour into an After Hours mold, and voila!
Sam and Yusuf become friends even though one is Jewish and the other Muslim. They leave the hospital to get some candy for Alina and then they learn what it is like to live in each others skin. A good friendship is built but what makes this book standout in such a tragic world the boys still have a sense of humour.
Alec Hruby
An Israeli boy, Sam, and a Palestinian boy, Yusuf, are hospitalized at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem. Sam has an injured leg that may have to be amputated. Yusuf has lost an eye and his other one has become infected. Both are fourteen years old and are hospital roommates. Review By: Alec Hruby
Amelia Kathryn
Emotional, unputdownable, came away drained but happy, with hope.
Elvis Lewis
Elvis Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Susan Monmaney
Susan Monmaney marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Logan LeDuc
Logan LeDuc marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Tess added it
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sharon E. McKay was born in 1954 in Montreal, Quebec, and earned a B.A. from York University in 1978. She lives in Prince Edward Island.

* Our Canadian Girl: Penelope
* Charlie Wilcox

Arthur Ellis Award
Best Juvenile (2009): War Brothers - Winner

Hackmatack Children's Choice Book Award: Fiction
2002 – Charlie Wilcox – Winner
More about Sharon E. McKay...
War Brothers: The Graphic Novel Thunder Over Kandahar War Brothers Charlie Wilcox Esther