Start by marking “Enemy Territory” as Want to Read:
Enemy Territory

Enemy Territory

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"Trained to hate, two boys discover friendship instead."

Sam, an Israeli teen whose leg may have to be amputated, and Yusuf, a Palestinian teen who has lost his left eye, find themselves uneasy roommates in a Jerusalem hospital. One night, the boys decide to slip away while the nurses aren't looking and go on an adventure to the Old City.

The escapade turns dangerous when th
Published September 1st 2012 by Annick Press (first published July 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Enemy Territory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemy Territory

Rose
Initial reaction: Wow, this book was very good. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, and I thought it was a very realistic, eye-opening look at two boys with rooted prejudices that learn to become friends over some rather tough events. The story itself is quite character focused and I personally love these kinds of stories, but what really hit home with me was how well McKay touches on the divisions and assumptions between groups without forcing the ideals down the throat of the reader. ...more
Sally Kruger
ENEMY TERRITORY by Sharon E. McKay artfully presents man's struggle to identify with other cultures and recognize that despite our differences, we are the same. In choosing two cultures that have historically been at odds, McKay illustrates her point and hopefully leaves readers with a lot to think about.

Sam is Jewish and lives in Israel. Yusuf is a Palestinian teen currently in a Jerusalem hospital for complications from an eye injury. The two become uncomfortable roommates. The tension is obvi
Salsabrarian
This book had promise: an Israeli boy and a Palestinian boy end up in the same hospital in Israel and after a long, unthinking escape from the hospital, become friends. It comes off awkwardly though, as the boys spout platitudes and have sudden moments of doubt about what they've been raised to believe about the other. The message of peace among brothers is too obvious to an adult reader, but likely this concrete delivery is appropriate for children who are being introduced to the Middle East co ...more
Ruty  B
Jan 27, 2014 Ruty B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a war you are taught that the enemy is the bad guy and you have to hate the people on the other side. But sometimes in a war there are no good and bad, death is part of it and the pain and suffering touches all the members in the conflict.

Enemy Territory is a beautiful story about fear, hate, hope and above all humanity. It helps us see how we create demons with the faces of our enemies forgetting that we have the same essence. We are all people who hurt, cry, laugh, dream and love.

Sam, an Is
Margo Tanenbaum
May 21, 2013 Margo Tanenbaum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaism, israel
Given the complexity of the topic, it's perhaps not surprising that there's not a plethora of novels for young people on the Israeli-Palistinian conflict. It's a topic that ignites fires of passion on both sides, and what a challenge for a novelist to try to present a balanced point of view in a book for young people.

I was very impressed with Sharon McKay's take on this topic. She presents us with two teenaged boys, one Jewish Israeli and one Palestinian, who are thrown together as roommates in
Jenny
Aug 20, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Enemy Territory follows two boys, one Muslim, one Jewish, who find themselves in the same precarious situation by chance. Even though society dictates that they be enemies, something even they believed at first, Yusuf and Sam soon realize that there's more to each other than what they first thought, and that hatred is not the solution to anything.

This book was very heartwarming even if a little predictable in where it was going. Their friendship was very realistic which I liked. There isn't one
Sally
Sam, the Israeli, and Yusuf, the Palestinian, are both fourteen and in hospital in Jerusalem - and sharing a room. I have to admit I knew very, very little about this situation in Israel and Palestine prior to reading this, and unfortunately I still know quite little - I would have liked just a little more educational detail in with the story! But it's still very interesting seeing how the boys grow from being enemies into close friends. I loved how all of their parents had good attitudes as wel ...more
Kim
An Israeli boy and a Palestinian boy become friends in the hospital. Their decision to go find candy in the Old City leads to a journey of self-discovery. Great for study of perspective.
Anne
Feb 08, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Sam is a Jewish Israeli teen, Yusuf is a Muslim Palestinian teen. They both end up in the same hospital in Jerusalem where they are very suspicious of each other's differences. However, they sneak out one night to explore Old Town. They get lost and end up relying heavily on each other to survive despite hostilities about their differing beliefs and backgrounds.

A fascinating look at the situation in the Middle East. A fast read also. HIghly recommend for reluctant boy readers - or anyone who wan
Sean Kottke
Feb 28, 2013 Sean Kottke rated it really liked it
This reminds me of Sting's song "Russians," applied to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. How does a generation without direct connection to the roots of a multi-generational conflict choose to be in the world? Can both sides create a fresh slate, or are they doomed to perpetuate the conflict, inflicting fresh wounds to renew old grudges? Take "Russians," add in the Oscar-nominated documentary 5 Broken Cameras and pour into an After Hours mold, and voila!
Naomi
Nov 02, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Sam and Yusuf become friends even though one is Jewish and the other Muslim. They leave the hospital to get some candy for Alina and then they learn what it is like to live in each others skin. A good friendship is built but what makes this book standout in such a tragic world the boys still have a sense of humour.
Alec Hruby
May 19, 2014 Alec Hruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
An Israeli boy, Sam, and a Palestinian boy, Yusuf, are hospitalized at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem. Sam has an injured leg that may have to be amputated. Yusuf has lost an eye and his other one has become infected. Both are fourteen years old and are hospital roommates. Review By: Alec Hruby
Rivkah
Jul 03, 2012 Rivkah rated it it was amazing
Emotional, unputdownable, came away drained but happy, with hope.
(Netgalley)
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Alexia Berguño
Alexia Berguño marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Nopie
Nopie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Debera Harrington
Debera Harrington marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Shifra
Shifra marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Olivia Rayos
Olivia Rayos marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Kate Pretty
Kate Pretty marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Stevie
Stevie rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Bookworm
Bookworm rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Sharon Bragg-Garvey
Sharon Bragg-Garvey marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Elvis Lewis
Elvis Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Poornima Shanmugam
Poornima Shanmugam rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sharon E. McKay was born in 1954 in Montreal, Quebec, and earned a B.A. from York University in 1978. She lives in Prince Edward Island.

Series:
* Our Canadian Girl: Penelope
* Charlie Wilcox

Awards:
Arthur Ellis Award
Best Juvenile (2009): War Brothers - Winner

Hackmatack Children's Choice Book Award: Fiction
2002 – Charlie Wilcox – Winner
More about Sharon E. McKay...