Start by marking “With His Lady's Assistance: A Regent Mystery” as Want to Read:
With His Lady's Assistance: A Regent Mystery

With His Lady's Assistance: A Regent Mystery (The Regent Mysteries #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The prince regent recruits Wellington's best spy, Captain Jack Dryden, to find out who's trying to murder him. But in order to mix in the highest echelons of English society, the exceedingly handsome spy must feign an engagement to the prodigiously plain spinster Lady Daphne Chalmers. As this unlikely couple's investigation deepens, so does their attraction to one another.
Published April 1st 2012 by Createspace (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about With His Lady's Assistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With His Lady's Assistance

This was an ok historical romance with a mystery surrounding assassination attempts on the Prince Regent, a dashing captain disguised as a nobleman, and a bluestocking wallflower as his partner. As I said, it was ok - worth the 99 cents, I suppose.

The romance was predictable, and the mystery just went around in circles for most of the book, with a lot depending on feminine intuition and coincidence. When they finally figured it out, the solution came out of the blue. I prefer mysteries that giv
An enjoyable read, a free bookbub read on my phone. Liked the historical bits , the very intelligent heroine, and the adorably straight laced hero. Will look for the other books in the series. Keeping track of the adultorous relationships was quite fun,especially after reading some of the biographies of the time, like "Duchess of Devonshire". Very fascinating, yet quite sad in a way. Anyway, Regency, mystery, love story very neatly wrapped up with quite a bit of humor. Lady Dafne presents her "f ...more
To help him mingle in the highest echelons of English society to investigate threats on the Prince Regent's life, super spy Captain Jack Dryden must feign an engagement to the exceedingly plain spinster, Lady Daphne Chalmers. Together they embark on an investigation which brings them into grave peril – and makes the captain reevaluate the skinny maiden who has a most amorous effect upon him.

The plot line has some basis in history, but is VERY LOOSELY incorporated, especially the parts that deal
More Regency Romance than a true mystery.
Both hero and heroine were cute.
She is a plain, spectacle wearing spinster.
He is a dashing spy.
No graphic details- clean romance.
Lori McD
3.5+ stars

This story is a bit unusual... it's a Regency romance + mystery, and one of the main characters is an aristocratic spinster!

Lady Daphne is the eldest daughter of an earl. She's amiable enough, but she doesn't care much for fashion or hair, and she thinks like a man; consequently, she's considered "one of the guys" in ton circles. Except the Prince Regent (Prinny) knows that Lady Daphne is discreet. She's kept a few secrets of his.

Captain Jack Dryden is a spy for His Majesty's Army - an
I belong to a "Clean Romance" group on Goodreads for those of us who like romance without explicit intimacy. This book was recommended on the site as a clean romance. Since it was regency I decided to buy it. It starts out with a British spy, Captain Jack Dryden, being called back from the Peninsula to help find the assassin who was targeting the Prince Regent. Of course, the spy couldn't function among the ton without someone to smooth the way, so the Prince Regent suggests a woman who has all ...more

There is an assassin on the loose and after several attempts on his life, the Prince Regent enlists the help of the best spy in his majesty's army, Captain Jack Dryden. In order for Captain Dryden to infiltrate the necessary societal circles, he is paired up with a fake fiancee, Lady Daphne Chalmers, an unattractive spinster, who is well liked and respected by the ton. In a society where it is well accepted that adultery is more the rule than the exception, their list of suspects grows
Miguelina Perez
Ms. Bolen’s “With his Lady’s Assistance” is a beautiful love story mixed with humor, murder, fact and fiction. Bolen uses a threat against the Prince Regent as her plot to thrust her hero and heroine together into an investigation that will take them from finding a killer to finding love. There is a brilliant element to the story as Bolen consistently mocks the social manners and peerage of the era—evident through the eyes of her hero.

Captain Jack Dryden is a spy for the British monarchy and the
This review was originally posted on The Historical Romance Critic.

This was a fun twist on the "spinster" storyline. Although the heroine is initially considered dowdy and in her twenties, she is not a retiring wallflower. Instead, her amicable nature and intelligence means that nearly everyone considers her a friend and she rares lacks for a dance partner. Unfortunately for the heroine, however, everyone thinks of her as "just a friend" - nobody seems to have a romantic interest in her. Until t
This is the first book I've read by this author. I enjoyed this mystery romance very much.

The story is about the ugly duckling elder sister(Lady Daphne)who feels that her role in the family is to be a spinster. Everyone likes and admires her. The gentleman are comfortable in her company, but no one wants to marry her. She's very comfortable with this life. Anyway the story opens with Capt. Jack Dryden going to meet the Regent Prince. It seems that someone is trying to kill Prinny and he wants t
Despite other slightly blasé reviews, I genuinely liked this novel from start to finish. I found the characters endearing, and the mystery intriguing enough. I will most certainly be looking forward to reading the following books in this series. :)
Teresa Williams
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I loved how Lady Daphne and Captain Jack Dryden both had moral values above the norm of the day, and fell in love with each other's intelligence, honor, and moral fiber over their looks. And then she became beautiful to him, and he "worthy" of her.
This is the first novel by Cheryl Bolen that I've read. The plot had many weak points as a mystery, a few of the circumstances of the investigation were somewhat far-fetched, but I found that the interaction between the hero and heroine more than made up for that. I found myself completely charmed by Daphne Chalmers and Captain Jack Dryden as their romance progressed. The details of the time period as to customs and settings were well done. I could tell that this author had done her research. In ...more
This book was quite charming. Not the most interesting mystery but I liked the hero and the heroine.
much better than I expected. gotta get the second book now! somewhat "syrupy" but totally loved jack and daphne.
Silver James
With His Lady's Assistance While a bit rough in places, with sometimes pedantic language, Cheryl Bolen's story was still an enjoyable read. Captain Jack Dryden is an engaging hero and Lady Daphne Chalmers makes an excellent foil for the intrepid spy. The best parts of the book were their repartee. The story was well-researched and was a nice blending of fact and fiction.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This was on my wish list and on my last Amazon order I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did as it is very entertaining. There is great dialog, a good mystery and some romance. It is listed as a Humorous Regency Romance Mystery and it is. This is the first of a new series and I am waiting for A Most Discreet Inquiry, book 2 due out in August.
A very well written story. I admit I was gripped by the plot, as I love anything to do with Prinny. Lovely characters and a very nice balanced book. Very enjoyable read.
This is a cozy historical mystery, with romantic elements. The hero and heroine banter with each other in a "Nick and Nora" kind of way. It's a cute read.
Light fun. Engaging characters against a background of the strictures of Regency society.
Vikki Vaught
What a refreshing story. Jack Dryden was a truly honorable gentleman. The story was a bit weak, but the characters more than made up for that.
This is a regency romance with a lot of mystery and adventure. I really enjoyed the characters and the writing. I love this author's books!
Christina Haggerty
Christina Haggerty marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
  • An Heir of Uncertainty
  • A Loyal Companion
  • Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #1-3)
  • Cut from the Same Cloth (Regency Trilogy, #3)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • A Gentleman and a Scoundrel (Regency Gentlemen, #1)
  • The Mésalliance
  • The Girl He Knows
  • Untying the Knot
  • Code of Honor (Intrepid Heroines, #1)
  • A Garden Folly (Country House Party, #1)
  • By Eastern Windows
  • Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career
  • Frederica in Fashion (The Six Sisters, #6)
  • A Curvy Girl for the Cadet (Perfect Fit, #4)
  • Trevor's Song
  • The Man Behind the Scars
Cheryl Bolen has enjoyed several successful careers. She's been a stay-at-home mother, a journalist, a public school English teacher, an antiques dealer, and in 1998 she debuted with her first novel, A DUKE DECEIVED.

With each endeavor came rewards. For the years she spent as a nurturing mother (including being a PTA officer, room mother, team mom, etc.), she looks with pride now on two extraordina
More about Cheryl Bolen...

The Regent Mysteries (4 books)
  • A Most Discreet Inquiry (The Regent Mysteries, #2)
  • The Theft Before Christmas (The Regent Mysteries, #3)
  • An Egyptian Affair (Regent Mysteries, #4)