Start by marking “The Magician” as Want to Read:
The Magician
read book* *Different edition

The Magician

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,756 ratings  ·  188 reviews
Arthur and his fiance Margaret dislike the fat, eccentric Oliver Haddo, but they are fascinated by his stories of black magic. When Margaret suddenly elopes with Oliver, Arthur wonders what powers the magician has used.
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2012 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician, please sign up.

McKenzie I am assuming you mean "Left Hand Path," and I found this author from the 1930's; Dennis Wheatley under a Google search of LHP.
Under Explore Tab at…more
Under Explore Tab at top menu of screen, drop down shows Listopia where can be found under the search box entry of Occult Fiction a few Categories of relevant lists of books:
1. Gurdjieff Work in Fiction,
2. The Dennis Wheatley Library of the Occult
3. Magical Fiction For Magicians

Hope this helps.(less)

Trevor
Cat
The Magician may not be Maugham's most known work, but it's my favourite so far.

Arthur and Margaret are about to marry when the sinister Oliver Haddo comes into their lives. Haddo is known for practising ocultism and to deal with the dark arts. At first, Arthur doesn't take him seriously; when strange things concerned with Margaret start taking place, Arthur is forced to realize that maybe he should have taken care not to offend the man who is known as a magician.

After having read two of Maugham
Ali
This is certainly a novel worth persevering with. The beginning is dare I say dull, and for a little while it drags, but then suddenly it develops into a truly gripping read. The awfully sinister Oliver Haddo is a sly practitioner of the occult, who appears to use his skill to ruin the lives of a couple of good and innocent souls. An excellent read.
This book has a very slow start but then picks up into something horrifying. I just wanted it all to be over. It's so dark and freaky. The descriptions have you holding your breathe for it to end quickly. If you like horror then highly recommend. If you are squeamish then may not be of your liking. First time reading this author and he can make your skin crawl. One of the nastiest antagonist in literature.
Benjamin Duffy
What a surprising, interesting book. After reading all of W. Somerset Maugham's most celebrated works several times over, and delving eagerly into his lesser-known (though not necessarily lesser in quality) material afterwards, this is the first one to completely surprise me.

The book is preceded, happily, by a foreword, "The Fragment of Autobiography," in which Maugham admits that the character of Oliver Haddo is indeed based on Aleister Crowley. He pulls no punches in his assessment of the real
Tom
"The Magician" is a captivating story.

Margaret is engaged to Arthur, a well-off English surgeon. Margaret shares a Paris flat with Susie. One evening, they meet Oliver Haddo, a very large, very odd man, around whom the most unusual stories swarm.

Basically, Oliver is a magician, who uses his powers to lure Margaret away from Arthur, which pisses everyone off, and leads to a showdown.

When "The Magician" was published, Aleister Crowley wrote a review, contending that Maugham had plagiarized the st
Marts  (Thinker)
Aisling
I'm not entirely sure what to make of The Magician. It's written beautifully, it is unsettling at times, sometimes it drags and other times it's rushed, but altogether it's very good.

Unfortunately, a large plot point was spoiled for me by another review, so I knew what to expect. Thankfully, the whole novel is saturated with mystery, so there was more to be enjoyed.

The character of Oliver Haddo truly is repulsive, and Maugham manages to communicate his cruelty effectively without ever really sho
Free download available at Project Gutenberg

An astonishing gothic story written by Somerset Maugham.

Location 122:
Dr Porhöet knew that a diversity of interests, though it adds charm to a man´s personality, tends to weaken him.

Location 140:
One of my cherished ideas is that it is impossible to love without imagination.

Location 277:
She had learnt long ago that common sense, intelligence, good-nature, and strenght of character were unimportant in comparison with a pretty face.

Location 384:
I shall not
Anushree Rastogi
Maugham's novel The Magician is an aesthetic disaster. From the fumbling realism at the beginning of the novel to the childishly Gothic fable that it turns into, the book seems to lack structure, design and well developed characters.
Maugham himself, on reading the book later, described it as “lush and turgid.” Cluttered with adjectives, the writing, bordering on being kitschy, does little to gloss over a story that is formulaic and shallow.
The plot is facile and it is no surprise that it was m
Kaloyana
Не съм доволна от тази история на Моъм. Един магьосник прави експерименти за създаване на хора. За целта прецаква всичко живо по пътя си. Доста противни неща имаше и като цяло не беше интересно, нито силно психологическо. Силата на Моъм е в историите, където може много да се научи за взаимоотношенията между хората в различни житейски етапи и ситуации. Това ми липсваше. И макар да не е съвсем зле тази книга ѝ давам 2 звездички, защото Моъм винаги ме е карал да немея и да го чета с кеф и нетърпени ...more
I adored this book. I could visualize every scene and when you realize that Maugham had actually lived with Aleister Crowley it makes the book even more terrifying. The scene toward the end of the book with the hommunculi was completely prescient. It perfectly predicted our fears of human clones.
Sycobabel
W. Somerset Maugham is consistently one of the most fascinating writers I've ever read.
Joseph Grinton
Maugham's caricature of Aleister Crowley (Oliver Haddo) is brilliant and, no doubt, accurate. Maugham says in his preface that Crowley recognised himself. I'm sure he did. He was probably even flattered in spite of Maugham's blatantly unflattering portrait. Maugham says he never read the review by 'Oliver Haddo' (Aleister Crowley) in Vanity Fair and wishes he had. I have read it and enjoyed it immensely. I love it when two very smart men clash. Maugham has definitely researched his subject and g ...more
Aussiescribbler Aussiescribbler
This simple little novel was inspired by Maugham's brief acquaintance with the notorious occultist Aleister Crowley in Paris in 1907. And it is unlike anything else of his that I've read. It begins in typical Maugham territory by describing the bohemian art community in Paris, but it gradually mutates into pulp horror territory ending up with scenes more reminiscent of H.P. Lovecraft. Along the way there is much fascinating discussion of the principles and history of occultism. How much of this ...more
Martin Nesmerakova
I was really looking forward to this book as it is set in 'bohemian cafe society of Paris' at the end of 19th century, and everyone who knows me knows that I adore nothing more than Paris and it's people. I was also interested in how the book was going to deal with the occult and magic. But this book failed to catch my interest and actually took me 3 month to read.

The start was bit slow but it was quite nice as you got to meet all the characters and were introduced to the time and era. The chara
Elizabeth
This was so worth reading, flawed as it is, in order to get a glimpse into a historic moment when neo-Jeckyll-Hyde-ish sciencey ghost stories were so popular that a writer wishing to "sell out" would choose the Victorian culture surrounding the idea one can manipulate soul/spirit/science for genre/setting. S Maugham does a fine job impersonating any genre, even if it's not the one he writes in most authentically. Also to see Maugham's span, between this v early book and, say, Razor's Edge, is to ...more
Caglar Koca
The Magician is one of Maugham's early works. Even though it contains some marvelous features of Maugham, it stands away from most of his other works. The descriptive language that marks Maugham's style is as good as any other of his books. In fact, by choosing a doctor as his protagonist, he achieves a higher level in vivid descriptions. (view spoiler) ...more
Tim Pendry
The Penguin edition is not being reviewed here. This is the Vintage Edition. The only difference in practice is that this does not have Calder’s introduction but has a short and somewhat languid autobiographical sketch from Maugham himself.

Written around 1907 before he began to make serious money as a playwright, this exhibits all the strengths and weaknesses of Maugham.

The strengths are (in general and allowing for a few moments where he shifts in to the purple-conventional) his exceptional abi
Steve Dewey
The Magician describes the relationships between two women and a man, and how these relationships are affected by their meeting with the magician of the title.

Margaret and Susie share rooms in Paris. Arthur Burdon is Margaret's fiance. Burdon is a renowned surgeon; his mentor is the retired doctor and occult scholar Dr. Porhoët. Porhoët introduces Oliver Haddo to his friends; Haddo is an occultist, a magician - loosely based on Aleister Crowley, "the wickedest man in the world", whom Maugham ha
Jeanne Thornton
I would love for independent game developers to produce a Castlevania-themed "port" of this book, because it's basically just Dracula with Aleister Crowley. It even ends with Crowley's evil castle CRUMBLING TO DUST, REVEALING THE SUNSHINE. Good descriptions of fancy clothes and some fun hijinx early on with Oliver Haddo, but the characters are laughably thin, description is vague or absurd (Haddo's magickal laboratory has ordinary lab equipment, EXCEPT IT'S GIANT, as mages use), and by the end, ...more
June Louise
Well, if I have to be blatantly honest - the first half of this book had me wondering whether I should give up with it. It was slow, and a little boring. We met Arthur, Margaret, Susie and Dr Porhoet as well as the villain, Oliver Haddo. A few weird happenings occurred and thence begins the second part of the book.......

All I can say is that after having read it, I now have no nails left! It is unusual for me to yell whilst reading, but this book scared me rigid! (Yes, ok - it's probably not the
Suzanne
I saw this on a list of portrayals of Aleister Crowley in popular culture. The lore goes that Maugham crossed paths with Crowley, thought he was a pompous ass, and modeled the antagonist in The Magician after him. Crowley went on to write a piece for Vanity Fair (under the fictional name Maugham had given to his Magician character) and accused Maugham of plagiarism. How could I resist?

This is probably somewhere between a 3- and 4-star read, and lately, pacing seems to be my tiebreaker. The begin
Phil
Finally got around to reading this, and after a slow start, it finally kicked off about a third of the way in once Oliver Haddo (the Crowley carcicature) starts to take centre stage. After that is was a roller-coaster ride to the end with some surprisingly grim plot twists. The preface is also fascinating, in which Maugham describes his real-life encounter with Crowley.
Per

Title: How to Write a Novel! After W. S. Maugham
Type of Media: Periodical.
Name: Vanity Fair (UK).
Date: 30 December 1908.
Don
A delicious depiction of fin de siecle Paris and the bloated vainglorious Oliver Haddo (Aleister Crowley) whose bombast proves to mask a terrible secret. Debauched and terrible but also tender.
F.R.
Magician Oliver Haddo (who is somewhat based on Maughan’s acquaintance Aleister Crowley) bewitches a young woman so that she marries him and ruins her life. This tale of European horror takes a while to get going, but once it does is genuinely chilling and builds to a horrible climax.

Somerset Maughan is not a writer I’ve ever read before (his work isn’t really in vogue these days is it?) and as far as I can tell this isn’t overly typical of his oeuvre, however I will check out some of his other
Andy
Well, a rabbit doesn't get pulled out of a hat and there are no gay German couples making white tigers disappear, in fact there's more occult and psychic phenomena at play than magic. Nevertheless, this book is delightful in a creepy Jekyll & Hyde-Invisible Man way. I think this would have made a great Universal Pictures horror film in the Thirties in it's own wickedly lurid way. A fun read and catch it before Tim Burton or Christopher Nolan ruin it with their pretentiousness.
Fabiola G.
Credo un 3+*...
Non mi sento di dare di più a questo libro, sebbene non mi sia dispiaciuto. Il fatto è che avevo un po' di aspettative che sono andate parzialmente deluse.
Parto col dire che la scrittura in sé mi è piaciuta: lo stile era scorrevole ma curato, mai banale - ma da quest'autore non mi aspettavo di meno.
La storia inizialmente risulta un po' lenta, ma poi procede tranquillamente (a parte qualche pezzo qua e là che per me poteva essere tagliato, ma robette ininfluenti ai fini del giudizi
Judi
I am glad that I have read other offerings from W. Somerset Maugham prior to "reading" this one. It is a bit uneven, but captivating and quite different from his other books. I would say that this is very much a book of its time. Late Victorian. Ghost stories, seances, ouija boards, the occult and the like. This is a gem in that sense. Perhaps a guilty pleasure read back in the day. I savored it as such. A bite of dark chocolate. Tasty.
  • Leviathan
  • The Beautiful Mrs. Seidenman
  • The Beetle
  • El perseguidor
  • The Secret Lives of Somerset Maugham: A Biography
  • The Tooth (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • The Lost Stradivarius
  • The Voices of Marrakesh: A Record of a Visit
  • Fantômas (Fantômas, #1)
  • Mutmassungen über Jakob
  • Eine blaßblaue Frauenschrift
  • Marie Stuart
  • The Flight from the Enchanter
William Somerset Maugham was born in Paris in 1874. He spoke French even before he spoke a word of English, a fact to which some critics attribute the purity of his style.

His parents died early and, after an unhappy boyhood, which he recorded poignantly in 'Of Human Bondage' , Maugham became a qualified physician. But writing was his true vocation. For ten years before his first success, he alm
More about W. Somerset Maugham...
Of Human Bondage The Razor's Edge The Painted Veil The Moon and Sixpence Theatre

“Yet magic is no more the art of employing consciously invisible means to produce visible effects. Will, love, and imagination are magic powers that everyone possesses; and whoever knows how to develop them to their fullest extent is a magician. Magic has but one dogma, namely, that the seen is the measure of the unseen.” 5 likes