Start by marking “The Hostage Bride (Bride #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hostage Bride (Bride #1)

The Hostage Bride (Bride Trilogy #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  952 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Dear Reader,

Here is the first of my new "Brides" trilogy, in which three unconventional young women vow they will never marry--only to be overtaken by destiny. Bride #1 is the outspoken Portia....

Published June 1st 1998 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage Bride

Kit★
As soon as I saw this book sitting on the shelf at the Salvation Army, I had to grab it up. I read The Accidental Bride, the second in the series, a while back, and really enjoyed it, so I was keeping an eye out for the other two. In fact, I was so excited to find it that, despite having many other books in my TBR pile that have been there for months, and in some cases years, I had to read this one right away. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the heroine, Portia, that well at first. Scrawny ...more
Juliana
Terrific 17th century romance with a highly unusual heroine and an easy-to-fall-for hero [4.5 stars:]

The Hostage Bride is the first in Jane Feather's Brides Trilogy, but I actually read it after having already read The Accidental Bride (Book 2) and The Least Likely Bride (Book 3). I normally read Regency and Victorian era romances, but I really loved this book and although Feather writes in much more of a historical background than one often gets from regency romances, it is by no means overwhel
kris
The Hostage Bride felt like a huge, sprawling book, set as it was amongst the trappings of the English Civil War. Portia Worth is the unwanted daughter of the half-brother of the Marqius of Granville. His arch-nemesis is Rufus Decatur who's supposed to be an Earl but isn't because his father and Granville's father had a spat and Decatur was accused of treason.

It's all very complex and prime for The Vengeance Arc (which is not my cup of tea on a good day) and there's a bff-pact and outlaws and l
Liv
When I feel like listening to an intricate story with rich, well developed characters, I know that Feather will not disappoint. Yes, Feather is an accomplished author, but more than that, she is an excellent story teller. After listening to this first book in her Bride trilogy, narrated by Jenny Sterlin, I am fully invested in the series. The narration was authentic and very well done. Sterlin's performance brought these fantastic characters to life. Now about those characters....

Feather weaves
Elle
This is book one in the Bride trilogy, the story of three unlikely friends who bond at a young age while hiding from a wedding. Their names are Olivia, Phoebe and Portia.

First up is Portia, the bastard daughter of Olivia's wastrel uncle. She's grown up in taverns and pretty much all sorts of unsavory places. Her father finally succumbs to the ravages of his lifestyle, and she is taken in by her uncle Cato Granville, Olivia's father. The good part is she gets to hang with Olivia, who is reduced t
Sandra
It's bad enough that seventeen-year-old Portia Worth is taken in by her uncle, the marquis of Granville, after her father dies. As the bastard niece, Portia knows she can expect little beyond a roof over her head and a place at the table. But it truly adds insult to injury when the Granvilles' archenemy, the outlaw Rufus Decatur, hatches a scheme to abduct the marquis's daughter--only to kidnap Portia by accident. Portia, who possesses more than a streak of independence as well as a talent for r ...more
EB
The title of this book is a bit of a misnomer. I read the summary and was genuinely expecting a kidnapping-and-forced-marriage trope. This was not that.

This book is, in my opinion, more in league with Philippa Gregory novels than with Harlequins. There’s a great amount of plot and the love story is almost secondary to the plot. Almost. The prologue of the books sets up the three heroines of this trilogy (Portia, Phoebe, and Olivia) as young girls who are outcasts, and determined to never marry.
KyBunnies
This review is my personal opinion, this is not a paid review. To form your own opinion please support the author and invest in your own copy to read.

This is the first in a 3 book series. The series is Bride Trilogy by Ms. Feather. This book is set in the mid-17th century.

This book start out with a wedding and 3 misfit young females. The 3 females form a bond of sorts. They each make a small cut on the palm of there hand to mix there blood and cut 3 locks of there hair to braid in to a circle.
Ann has a dirty mouth
For some reason, there are loads of reviews for this book that mention finding it in a thrift story, and oddly enough, this is exactly how I encountered it.

The good- this is a historical with a unique setting- the English civil war. Those of you, like me, who were indifferent students may want to brush up on your history because this book incorporated actual historical events more than many novels. Or maybe it is all bullshit, I didn't fact check it on wikipedia or anything.

The Plot- Sassy bast
Judith
The Hostage Bride is the first in Jane Feather's Brides Trilogy, but I actually read it after having already read The Accidental Bride (Book 2) and The Least Likely Bride (Book 3). I normally read Regency and Victorian era romances, but I liked this book and although Feather writes in much more of a historical background than one often gets from regency romances, it is by no means overwhelming and only adds to the book.

This book was a cute, sweet and very typical story. We've heard it all before
Bunga
Saya kasih 4 deh soalnya bisa bikin saya mewek beberapa kali. Hehehe...
Berawal dari salah nyulik, malah akhirnya jatuh cinta.
Portia, heroine di buku ini, gahar banget dan gigih. Sampai bisa bikin Rufus bener-bener menyerahkan hatinya. Dan yang bikin menye di sini adalah karena Portia adalah keponakan dari musuh bebuyutan si Rufus, jadinya Portia sering konflik batin. Apalagi saat Rufus sedang menyerang kastil pamannya Portia--Portia sampai nekat renang menyeberangi selokan/moat yang mengeliling
Rachel Brand
I only have 100 pages left of this but I really can't be bothered finishing it. It was interesting to begin with, but I'm really not convinced by the heroine and hero's love story - mainly because we never get inside their heads! - and I'm getting to the stage where I care more about Olivia and her parents than I do Portia and Rufus. There was also far too much war detail for me - I feel like I should go and read up on the time periods in order to understand the plot! Seriously, this book had po ...more
Minh
So many recommendations for this series, yet I really disliked it. Mainly it was because I didn't really feel for the heroine and thought that a lot of her decisions were pretty stupid. Basically involved the heroine (unwanted bastard child of the family) being kidnapped in the place of her cousin. As an unwanted hostage she becomes part of the Rebel army and falls in love with the family who she's sworn to hate.

I was interested in one of the 3 heroines who has a stutter and an evil stepmother s
Modesty_b
It has its ups and downs ... still a good story :)
Amy
Meh. While the book was very well written, I think I do not enjoy the time period that it is set in. It is a period in English history that I know very little about. Maybe wikipedia can help me with that before I start on the next one in the series...

One thing I really hate about romances in general, however, is when the hero loses all of his trust in the heroine near the end/climax of the book. I am not sure why, but when it happens, it always annoys me. (it is just as annoying when it is vice
Stephanie Williams
luved it... can't wait to read the next one
penelopewanders
Hadn't read a book set in this time in a long time - Cromwell and the Roundheads... of course that was only one aspect of the story.Likewise it had been a while for a Jane Feather. On the whole I enjoyed it, although much of it seemed wildly implausible. Fun anyway.
Leea
3.5 stars... I loved this book but have to say that the start was a little slow. This was my first Jane Feather book and I have to say that i'm very excited to find out what happens to Olivia and Phoebe. These girls, Olivia, Phoebe and Portia make a blood pack to not get married and live out their dreams. So far Portia does become a soldier...
Mimi
I've read this book before (this is why I decided to start using Goodreads), and I still like this book. It has a bit too much war and tactic for me in there, but it's not pages and pages of war stuff that some books have so it doesn't get bogged down by the details.

This is a nice, quick read.
Susan (the other Susan)
Ruined by a Big Misunderstanding, and the unnecessary cruelty that Big Misunderstandings inspire in the heroes of too many romance novels. I should have read a few reviews before I read this.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: C+

Started out slow but did pick up pace. A fair to middlin story. This is the first of a trilogy and I read the other two stories first. Both were horribly boring!
Hannah Victoria Katherine
This was an ok story. I thought the characters were a bit static in places. I would give this book only 1 1/2 stars but goodreads doesn't allow half stars when rating
Jessika
Holds up about as well as I had expected, which is to say so much purple prose, but with a surprising amount of agency for Portia.
Deidre
This book was o.k not bad but not great just kinda of run of the mill for me...
Ashley
First of a series! Tom-boy turns wife, but doesn't lose her spunk!
Owusua Adwoa Ayeh
She couldn't be more hostage and what a really strong character.
Tooba
Cute story with a reedy girl and the kind hero who adores her.
Whitney
What a wonderful book--Entertaining and interesting!
Fil
Jul 16, 2012 Fil rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
need to put this on the burner too.. can't get into it??
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 09:51AM
  • An Honorable Man (Logan Duology, #1)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • A Year and a Day (DeWarenn, #1)
  • A Most Unsuitable Groom (Romney Marsh #4)
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Border Wedding (Border Trilogy II, #1)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #7)
  • The Offer (Baron, #1)
  • Deadly Illusions (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #7)
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • More Than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1-2)
  • The Husband Test (Brides of Virtue, #2)
  • The Wild Child (The Bride Trilogy, #1)
Jane Feather was born in Cairo, Egypt, and grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She began her highly successful career after she and her family moved to Washington D.C. in 1981. She now has over ten million books in print.

Has also written under pseudonym of Claudia Bishop (books written in 1984)
More about Jane Feather...

Bride Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)
  • The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3)
Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2) The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2) Rushed to the Altar (Blackwater Brides #1) The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3) A Wicked Gentleman (Cavendish Square, #1)