Start by marking “Reluctant Saint: The Life of Francis of Assisi” as Want to Read:
Reluctant Saint: The Life of Francis of Assisi

Reluctant Saint: The Life of Francis of Assisi

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Acclaimed biographer Donald Spoto strips away the legends from the life of Francis of Assisi to reveal the true story of a man who has too often been obscured by pious iconography. Drawing on unprecedented access to unexplored archives, plus Francis's own letters, Spoto places Francis within the context of the multifaceted ecclesiastical, political, and social forces of me ...more
Published September 30th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Reluctant Saint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reluctant Saint

Dec 20, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Jackie Giles
3 1/2 stars

Whatever it is that keeps me from selling all that I own and living a life of servitude and simplicity is probably also keeping me from reaching a level of holiness that Francis Bernardone achieved. Clearly the man was holy.

While traveling in Italy, and Assisi in particular, during college, I was introduced to Francis of Assisi via Cimabue and Giotto's frescoes in the Upper Church of Francesco's (pre-earthquake!) as well as a visit to the Poor Clares of San Damiano. But my true admir
Apr 15, 2008 Marissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: catholics; those searching for strength
Recommended to Marissa by: Jeffery Turman
It is definitely a different take on Francis, one that really gets into the nitty gritty of who he was as a man. The author mentions somewhere in the book that saints are often portrayed as these people who looked at life with rose colored glasses and never faltered. This is not that type of story. It allows the reader to see the true humanity of Francis, being able to identify with his pain and suffering, as well as his triumphs. It makes me want to know more about Francis, to delve deeper into ...more
I thought this book was absolutely exquisite. It gives a frank look at life in the middle ages and a wonderful down-to-earth portrait of St. Francis. The prose is intelligent but still accessible. I found St. Francis to be personally inspirational. I have a new hero! What a magnificent person. He struggled to know God's will for Him, and had to accept that what God wanted him to do and what he wanted for himself was not the same. A must read for any wishing to become a true Christian and true di ...more
Dan Hazen
Scholarly foundation, but highly readable. The author is respectful, and orthodox in his view, yet doesn't romantasize and oft overly romasntasized subject.

I love Francesco even more than I did before reading this...
I was expecting this to be a biography but it is more of a commentary, interpretation, and application of lessons learned from the life of Francis. Spoto's opinions are many. At times, his editorial remarks eclipse the story of the life of Francis.

Some of the lessons I took away: (1) Francis followed the Nike dictum: "Just do it." He did not plan, think through, justify, or contemplate. He heard the command of Jesus and just did it, without considering the consequences. This got him into trouble
I'm not Catholic but I read this book before I visited Assisi this summer. St. Francis was an interesting character, to say the least, and someone for whom I have the upmost respect. This book seems to be one of the better, more balanced biographies, and Spoto does a good job of historically contextualizing the stories and legends. I don't read a lot of this type of book, and I didn't know what to expect, but I liked it.
Willa Grant
This is the best biography of St Francis I have ever read, the author presents a good medieval history backround & has clearly studied his references well. I loved Francis even more after reading this. Francis was no plaster saint but a real, human & holy man of medieval times. As a follower of Francis I appreciated the realities of his life & beliefs being presented in such a clear manner.
Spoto gives a fascinating cultural/historical framework for St. Francis' life. This is not a work of hagiography, but a responsible and respectful biography on this most popular saint in the Christian world. Spoto adds his own musings on the challenge of following Christ as he tells us about St. Francis. A very inspiring book.
This is the second time I have read this book. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to read a meaningful biography, grow deeper in acts of Faith, or better understand such amazing characters in the Middle Ages.
Wonderful description of a life that I knew vaguely, in romantisized terms, and a prayer that I had grown up with. Well researched with insight into faith and relationships to God.
The bio of St. Francis that I consider the best I've read: complete with historical background and culture of the time, to help the reader try to understand this saint. I loved it.
Margie Dorn
Really the best telling about Francis that I can imagine, for the modern reader. I've now read it twice.
Max Anadon
Well, the reading is going a little slow, and I'm usually not one for biographies. I had this in my library because I've always been humbled by the prayer of his namesake.

A lot to think about so far in this book, but one section I wanted to highlight was on page 48..."We begin to acknowledge, accept and know God--always imperfectly and darkly--when we seek to be free of our idolatry of self, love others unselfishly and accept our existence as meaningful, despite its unmanageability. When we reno
Don Becher
Although the author/biographer treats the subject with respect and is obviously a fan of the saint, this was meant to be a book that was not done through a religious haze, but as an accurate account of this twelfth century man’s life. This honest treatment of the man who became the saint, increased my understanding of him and respect for him. As an aside, the book is made even more interesting by its incorporation of the politics and competing empires and beliefs of the time.
If you want to understand Pope Francis, studying St. Francis of Assisi is a must. This book was factual and did an excellent job explaining the Middle Ages (while Francis was alive) and how this beloved saint became the man he was and the legacy he has left in his wake.

Here is the money quote from the book: "As life became more problematic, more complicated and more painful, he kept his focus not on himself but on God. He did not use people to find God: he began with God and then moved on to fi
This was my latest read in a study of the life of St Francis of Assisi. Donald Spoto has a whole series of life examinations, and spends time examining old documents, diaries, etc to prove/disprove myths and legends about famous people. The author describes the book in this fashion: "Reluctant Saint has been writen from the author's perspective that faith is primarily an attitude about reality. In the final analysis, that is what attracted me to Francis of Assisi--that he saw his journey to God ...more
A great inside look at the life of a saint - not just what he did, but a glimpse into how he felt and how he attempted to live a life pleasing to God. A great reminder to seek God's will and to carry our cross as God intended and not as the world or our own fleshy desires intend us to. Also a good reminder that saints are people who at times struggle in their pilgrimage to make sense of it all just as we do. Dry at times, but well worth the read to discover the richness within.
Tammy Reasbeck
I'm not an overly religious person but I have always been interested in the life of this man, not the perfect saint but the man. Every book I have read so far on him has depicted him as flawless and saintly, which is unrealistic of anyone. This is the first bio about him that I felt showed me who he truly was, a flawed man who strived to be better and serve God. I could actually relate to him as a fellow human being! This is an amazing book if your interested in the truth verses a depiction of p ...more
very good how Donald Spoto unravels the tapestry made of history and mythmaking.
Not a fast read, but certainly a good read!
This is a short (ca. 200 pages) bio of St. Francis that does a great job of going back to source documents to explain his life. I could have done without the author's theologizing, but I appreciated the great research that went into the book. I read the book because my ex-husband used to say that St. Francis was crazy, and I wanted to see for myself. Good news--apparently he wasn't. It's an inspiring book, good for spiritually-minded readers (and even ex-Catholics)!
Albert Hong
It was alright. I may just not be that into biographies. I found most comfort and encouragement in the stories of Francis' failures. That I can relate to!
This was a great new look at someone I thought I knew. Apparently I didn't! So well researched, well written, and interesting. Biographies can sometimes be dry, but this one kept me going- I couldn't put it down. Francis was so revolutionary: teach by example, don't judge, love everyone. Such an interesting view into the Medieval Church and times. Any book that inspires me to want to be a better person should get 4 stars.
review coming soon
This book was wonderful! It was a little hard to read through at times but I loved learning about a "Saint" that was so simple and down-to-earth and just loved Jesus! Catholicism tends to taint everything and everyone in overly religious tones and it was great to find that Francis of Assisi was just not that way!
Mary Jane
This book appears to have been well-researched. Indeed, I learned quite a bit about St.Francis - more than I ever gave thought to. What I did know - and had confirmed - was that he spoke and lived a simple truth - love Jesus, live simply, treat others with peace in one's heart.
I'm glad I read this one.
Always wanted to know what made a saint. This was interesting. Not a perfect person, but one who sought to serve, and sought holiness. Interesting. At times the supposition and lack of concrete data bored me although I suppose the author did the best he could with the information available.
Tobey Aubert
Up to date, historically detailed bio with spiritual insight. I wish he had detailed what the friars in the later years of Francis' life were retaining of his original lifestyle when they wanted to stray into areas that other Orders had. Besides that, I enjoyed it immensely.
This is a very interesting and readable book about Francis of Assisi. Many parts of the book read like a devotional book. The author is obviously a devout man who wants to inspire his readers to walk more closely with God.
  • Francis of Assisi: A Revolutionary Life
  • An Infinity of Little Hours: The Trial of Faith of Five Young Men in the Western World's Most Austere Monastic Order
  • A Book of Hours
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • Catherine of Siena
  • Saints and Sinners: A History of the Popes
  • The End and the Beginning: Pope John Paul II -- The Victory of Freedom, the Last Years, the Legacy
  • Hope Against Darkness: The Transforming Vision of Saint Francis in an Age of Anxiety
  • Aquinas
  • A Concise History of the Catholic Church
  • Strange Glory: A Life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • The Violence of Love
  • Maurice and Therese: The Story of a Love
A prolific and respected biographer and theologian, Donald Spoto is the author of twenty published books, among them bestselling biographies of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Alfred Hitchcock, Tennessee Williams, and Ingrid Bergman. His books have been translated into more than twenty languages. Donald Spoto earned his Ph.D. in theology at Fordham University. After years as a theology professor, he t ...more
More about Donald Spoto...
Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn High Society: The Life of Grace Kelly Marilyn Monroe: The Biography The Dark Side Of Genius: The Life Of Alfred Hitchcock Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life

“The idea of Christian perfection, which began in the ancient monasteries and spread to the world as an ideal, is one of the most appealing, demanding and ultimately hopeless notions of the spiritual life. By definition, only God is perfect—that is, complete and independent unto [God’s] self. Humans, on the other hand, are radically imperfect, and that, paradoxically, is welcome news, for the recognition of our incompleteness throws us on the mercy of God and enables us, as Saint Paul stressed, to put up with one another’s faults.” 0 likes