Start by marking “The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story ” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Buddha, Geoff and ...

Edward Canfor-Dumas

The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Ed is having a hard time - at work, in his love life and, well, generally. Then he meets an unlikely Buddhist - who drinks and smokes and talks his kind of language. Bit by bit, things begin to change... Ed doesn't always take Geoff's advice. Or, when he does he lapses at the crucial moment. His path to understanding is not a straight one, especially as life keeps throwing ...more
Published 2005 by Rider & Co

To ask other readers questions about The Buddha, Geoff and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddha, Geoff and Me

Sal Coraccio
The Buddha, Geoff and Me is, as one might expect, a lightly disguised Buddhist primer of sorts. The story the teachings ride on is compelling enough, likely based on real events (the author's) and generates sympathy for the main character, Ed. It isn't high art, but it is touching and there's enough educational content and a satisfying arc to make it worth your while.

What it did for me personally is introduce me to another perspective on Buddhism - a more approachable side; less... pretentious(
Lupurk
Il classico libro giusto al momento giusto. Ricevuto in prestito da un'amica, l'ho lasciato da parte per mesi, perché presa da altre letture o perché poco attirata. Poi, qualche giorno fa, ho deciso di prenderlo in mano e di dargli una possibilità. Appena ho letto le prime righe della quarta di copertina ho capito che il libro stava parlando proprio con me, che in qualche modo mi aveva chiamato...e l'ho divorato, assaporandone ogni frase e ogni attimo, senza riuscire a staccarmene. Non so se in ...more
Gary Cooper
first heard as podcast. pageturning story
Bistra Ivanova
Беше ми твърде очевидна.
Steve H
Ed is living in the London area just after the dot.com bust. His girlfriend has broken up with him, and he hates his job. In short, things aren't going well. While at a pub he runs into Geoff, an unusually calm, friendly, and helpful guy. Through his talks with Geoff and a number of Geoff's friends, Ed winds up learning the basic precepts of modern-day, practical Buddhism.

This is a thoughtful book that makes me think of all the Christian inspirational books where a non-believer ends up learning
Michel Franzoso
A livello letterario non sarà certamente un capolavoro, ma quello che vuole dire Canfor-Dumas lo dice in maniera semplice e diretta, e va dritto là dove fa più male.

Perché, come più volte dice nel romanzo, si tratta di considerazioni sotto gli occhi di tutti ma che molti ci sforziamo di non vedere: perché ogni cambiamento e ogni possibilità partono da noi, e nulla è più evidente di questo.

E dopo averlo letto forse non sarò diventato Buddista, sperò però di essere diventato un po' più saggio.
Linda
I found this book witty and intelligent. I understood the characters and felt their highs and lows. It is a good book to read if you have ever wondered about faith, in this book it is Buddhism, but it gave me a general understanding that faith is hard and not like I always thought you either have it or you don't. This book explains you need to work at it and it wont always be easy, but it isn't a sermon or a preaching. It is a story of a guy having a hard time in life, looking for some explanati ...more
Jim
My wife enjoyed this, although she felt the first half was very slow to get moving. To me it was written a bit like a bad TV sitcom with lots of dialogue that seemed to go nowhere in particular, or if it went somewhere it went there at snail's pace. All in all it was a thinly veiled lecture on the benefits of Sōka Gakka Buddhism. The author seems to have forgotten the first rule of novel writing - "show me, don't tell me".
Jessica
Aug 15, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone slightly interested in Buddhism
In the same vein as Ishmael (Quinn), a cynical man learns a lot from an unexpected source (a real person this time). There's not much in the way of plot, but I still thought it was a very interesting book.

Ed is having a hard time in life and meets Geoff, who begins to teach him about Buddhism. At first Ed is very cynical and has many questions, but then he becomes more and more interested.

I learned a lot, too.
Geoff
I was bought this book as a gift from a very good friend & have thoroughly enjoyed reading it & will reread pretty much straight away.

A very ease read & I was able to relate to the "me" character throughout the book. It has opened my eyes to further investigations to Buddhism. I am now applying the Goal setting to my own personal goals & they now seem less daunting.

Thoroughly recommend to all inquisitive minds.
Ma. Lalaine
It teaches the philosophy of Buddhism. You will learn how to be a monk in a modern society. For starters, Geoff cleans the window of the towering buildings as a living. He is happily contented and appreciates the natural way of life. I pretty much forgot the twist and turn of the plot. Nevertheless, I remember feeling elated after reading this in a bookstore six years ago.
Steve H
Ed is having some problems in life. His girlfriend has left him. He hates his job. He's not sure where he's headed. Then he meets this odd guy named Geoff at a bar and starts to learn life lessons from a Buddhist perspective. It's an easy way to digest a lot of the basics of Buddhism through a pleasant and entertaining story. The narration is good, too.
Carmen Rotaru
The book presents the reader practicality of buddhism in real life, how we could implement principles of enlightment in difficult situations and not losing hope. Though, I found the storry is dragging and doesn't captivate your attention through out the end.
You can find good ideas and put them in practice.
Fc O'neill
This does for Buddhism what "Sophie's World" does for philosophy. As a reader i was going "Is this moronic or is it genius.?" ... and d'ya know what... cos i ended up happier at the end of this book , I'm gonna plum for the latter. Enjoy while being at the bottom of a hole in your life!
Kita
I really enjoyed this book - taking the journey with the narrator on his path to enlightenment. The ending when he hooked up with the lady was a little off for me... they could have just remained close friends buuuut other than that. I keep it on my shelf for a once in a while re-read.
Kylie Martin
Wow, this is the fastest book i have ever read. If i could give it 10 stars i would.

I am new to the practice and it's great for practical explanations, it's cleared up some questions and given me encouragement to continue

Megan Taylor
Blinking fabulous read - made me think and look at how I approach buddhism. A must read for anyone who is interested in enlightenment. You will walk away from this book with a new outlook.
Deborah J.
I really, really loved this book and have, since then, bought several copies, giving them away to friends interested in Lotus Buddhism. It's written as a very good and very down-to-earth novel.
Christiane
Just loved this book! It gives you a true view of Buddism in a daily life. I did not agree with all their thoughts but nevertheless I was able to pick up some easy hints for a daily life practise!
Ammonite
Excellent layman's introduction to Buddhism from a personal point of view. Autobiographical account of a friendship and how this drew the author into examining and chaanging his life.
Ymfoo1
An interesting 'novel' about life. About strengths, weaknesses and believes.. about ego-less, about compassion, about Buddhism.
Pamela
Jan 18, 2013 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pamela by: Yvonne Chng
Shelves: religion
"Problems are just facts. It's our attitude to them that makes us suffer - or not. And that depends on our state of life."

Dylan
Great book, highly recommend, especially for beginner Buddhists. The British take on Dharma is unique, fun, and interesting.
Jamey
One of my all-time favorites, and a great fictional introduction into practical Buddhism. This book helped change my life.
Joel Kelly
Not too bad really, if you're looking for a practical guide to understanding the practice of modern Buddhism.
Janina
Jun 08, 2013 Janina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to get this! If what I read is true, then Geoff is loosely based on my dad :-)
Karen Brooks
A real eye opener to some of the principles of Buddhism in an everyday western setting. Inspiring.
Deb Aspland was swindley
One of those books that you beg your friends to read so you can discuss it with them
Jamie Baywood
I missed the characters in the book after I finished reading. Really enjoyed this book!
Susu
Feels like a guidebook on Buddhism and "How to survive" dressed up as a novel
  • The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
  • The Buddha In Daily Life
  • Unlocking the Mysteries of Birth & Death: . . . And Everything in Between, A Buddhist View Life
  • Return to Tibet
  • The Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama
  • Life's Too F***Ing Short: A Guide to Getting What You Want Out of Life Without Wasting Time, Effort or Money
  • Why I Am a Buddhist: No-Nonsense Buddhism with Red Meat and Whiskey
  • The Search for the Dice Man
  • Cityboy: Beer And Loathing In The Square Mile
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • The Lotus Sutra
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Schoolchildren: Finding Calm in the Chaos of the School Years
  • The Everyday Language of White Racism