Start by marking “The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story ” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Buddha, Geoff and ...

Edward Canfor-Dumas

The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  346 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Ed is having a hard time - at work, in his love life and, well, generally. Then he meets an unlikely Buddhist - who drinks and smokes and talks his kind of language. Bit by bit, things begin to change... Ed doesn't always take Geoff's advice. Or, when he does he lapses at the crucial moment. His path to understanding is not a straight one, especially as life keeps throwing ...more
Published 2005 by Rider & Co

To ask other readers questions about The Buddha, Geoff and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddha, Geoff and Me

WizBang
A story about the gradual indoctrination of a troubled man into a worldwide religious cult. This book left me feeling extremely angry, as so many people seem to be taken in by the quasi-religious teachings within. Like all religiously indoctrinating literature it carefully cherry-picks examples to support its own dangerous view of the world we live in, whilst glossing over any real concerns with the standard type of fantasy answer found in any Jehovah's Witness or Christian literature. In fact a ...more
Jim
Feb 04, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
My wife enjoyed this, although she felt the first half was very slow to get moving. To me it was written a bit like a bad TV sitcom with lots of dialogue that seemed to go nowhere in particular, or if it went somewhere it went there at snail's pace. All in all it was a thinly veiled lecture on the benefits of Sōka Gakka Buddhism. The author seems to have forgotten the first rule of novel writing - "show me, don't tell me".
Sal Coraccio
Oct 16, 2014 Sal Coraccio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Buddha, Geoff and Me is, as one might expect, a lightly disguised Buddhist primer of sorts. The story the teachings ride on is compelling enough, likely based on real events (the author's) and generates sympathy for the main character, Ed. It isn't high art, but it is touching and there's enough educational content and a satisfying arc to make it worth your while.

What it did for me personally is introduce me to another perspective on Buddhism - a more approachable side; less... pretentious(
Christiane
Just loved this book! It gives you a true view of Buddism in a daily life. I did not agree with all their thoughts but nevertheless I was able to pick up some easy hints for a daily life practise!
Ammonite
Oct 23, 2009 Ammonite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Excellent layman's introduction to Buddhism from a personal point of view. Autobiographical account of a friendship and how this drew the author into examining and chaanging his life.
Ymfoo1
Aug 13, 2010 Ymfoo1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting 'novel' about life. About strengths, weaknesses and believes.. about ego-less, about compassion, about Buddhism.
Kakul
Feb 03, 2015 Kakul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I practice Buddhism which is to say that I approached the book with a certain perspective. What was thrilling and beautiful about it though, was how simply and effectively the narrative flowed. The story is based on insights and questions we've all had when we first hear about this life philosophy. To the books credit it doesn't pander, patronize or in anyway preach. Props to Edward, brilliantly done
Lupurk
Il classico libro giusto al momento giusto. Ricevuto in prestito da un'amica, l'ho lasciato da parte per mesi, perché presa da altre letture o perché poco attirata. Poi, qualche giorno fa, ho deciso di prenderlo in mano e di dargli una possibilità. Appena ho letto le prime righe della quarta di copertina ho capito che il libro stava parlando proprio con me, che in qualche modo mi aveva chiamato...e l'ho divorato, assaporandone ogni frase e ogni attimo, senza riuscire a staccarmene. Non so se in ...more
Janina Walters
Aug 18, 2015 Janina Walters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on the author's friendship with and introduction to Buddhism by my father. It was interesting to read the factionalized perspective of someone unrelated to him.
Mitch S
Mar 25, 2015 Mitch S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me by a friend, I recommend to anyone that has a passing interest in Buddhism. The story is about a troubled man who meets a selfless fellow, Geoff. Geoff turns his life around, and become eds anchor. The casual approach to Buddhism makes this book readable to anyone. The first half I was reluctant to keep reading, but when the protagonist starts coming around to the teachings, you start coming around to the story.
Heather
May 27, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I listened to the podcasts. (Abuddhistpodcast.com) The reader is awesome!
This is an excellent introduction to Buddhist concepts and how they apply to real life, from the perspective of a person who makes it quite clear he does not want to hear about anything religious.
Jane Gollner
Mar 17, 2015 Jane Gollner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book highlights the Buddhist perspective very well, without being patronising. A joy to read, heartwarming and sad. I cried lots, but then wanted more.
Bhagyasree Kakoty
Written very well about the teachings of Nicheren Daishonin.
Gary Cooper
Nov 03, 2014 Gary Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first heard as podcast. pageturning story
Sallyann Phillips
Jul 29, 2015 Dinazitawe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it
Steve H
Apr 26, 2012 Steve H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed is living in the London area just after the dot.com bust. His girlfriend has broken up with him, and he hates his job. In short, things aren't going well. While at a pub he runs into Geoff, an unusually calm, friendly, and helpful guy. Through his talks with Geoff and a number of Geoff's friends, Ed winds up learning the basic precepts of modern-day, practical Buddhism.

This is a thoughtful book that makes me think of all the Christian inspirational books where a non-believer ends up learning
Michel Franzoso
Mar 19, 2013 Michel Franzoso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A livello letterario non sarà certamente un capolavoro, ma quello che vuole dire Canfor-Dumas lo dice in maniera semplice e diretta, e va dritto là dove fa più male.

Perché, come più volte dice nel romanzo, si tratta di considerazioni sotto gli occhi di tutti ma che molti ci sforziamo di non vedere: perché ogni cambiamento e ogni possibilità partono da noi, e nulla è più evidente di questo.

E dopo averlo letto forse non sarò diventato Buddista, sperò però di essere diventato un po' più saggio.
Linda
Sep 27, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book witty and intelligent. I understood the characters and felt their highs and lows. It is a good book to read if you have ever wondered about faith, in this book it is Buddhism, but it gave me a general understanding that faith is hard and not like I always thought you either have it or you don't. This book explains you need to work at it and it wont always be easy, but it isn't a sermon or a preaching. It is a story of a guy having a hard time in life, looking for some explanati ...more
Jessica
Aug 15, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone slightly interested in Buddhism
In the same vein as Ishmael (Quinn), a cynical man learns a lot from an unexpected source (a real person this time). There's not much in the way of plot, but I still thought it was a very interesting book.

Ed is having a hard time in life and meets Geoff, who begins to teach him about Buddhism. At first Ed is very cynical and has many questions, but then he becomes more and more interested.

I learned a lot, too.
Geoff
Feb 17, 2013 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was bought this book as a gift from a very good friend & have thoroughly enjoyed reading it & will reread pretty much straight away.

A very ease read & I was able to relate to the "me" character throughout the book. It has opened my eyes to further investigations to Buddhism. I am now applying the Goal setting to my own personal goals & they now seem less daunting.

Thoroughly recommend to all inquisitive minds.
Elham
Feb 07, 2015 Elham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely brilliant
Ma. Lalaine
Mar 31, 2011 Ma. Lalaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It teaches the philosophy of Buddhism. You will learn how to be a monk in a modern society. For starters, Geoff cleans the window of the towering buildings as a living. He is happily contented and appreciates the natural way of life. I pretty much forgot the twist and turn of the plot. Nevertheless, I remember feeling elated after reading this in a bookstore six years ago.
Steve H
Ed is having some problems in life. His girlfriend has left him. He hates his job. He's not sure where he's headed. Then he meets this odd guy named Geoff at a bar and starts to learn life lessons from a Buddhist perspective. It's an easy way to digest a lot of the basics of Buddhism through a pleasant and entertaining story. The narration is good, too.
Carmen Rotaru
The book presents the reader practicality of buddhism in real life, how we could implement principles of enlightment in difficult situations and not losing hope. Though, I found the storry is dragging and doesn't captivate your attention through out the end.
You can find good ideas and put them in practice.
Fc O'neill
This does for Buddhism what "Sophie's World" does for philosophy. As a reader i was going "Is this moronic or is it genius.?" ... and d'ya know what... cos i ended up happier at the end of this book , I'm gonna plum for the latter. Enjoy while being at the bottom of a hole in your life!
Kita
Dec 04, 2012 Kita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book - taking the journey with the narrator on his path to enlightenment. The ending when he hooked up with the lady was a little off for me... they could have just remained close friends buuuut other than that. I keep it on my shelf for a once in a while re-read.
Kylie Martin
Aug 12, 2011 Kylie Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is the fastest book i have ever read. If i could give it 10 stars i would.

I am new to the practice and it's great for practical explanations, it's cleared up some questions and given me encouragement to continue

Megan Taylor
Jan 10, 2014 Megan Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Blinking fabulous read - made me think and look at how I approach buddhism. A must read for anyone who is interested in enlightenment. You will walk away from this book with a new outlook.
  • Faith Into Action: Thoughts on Selected Topics
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
  • The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • Return to Tibet
  • The Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama
  • Life's Too F***Ing Short: A Guide to Getting What You Want Out of Life Without Wasting Time, Effort or Money
  • I diari delle streghe (#1-4)
  • Gli incubi di Hazel
  • Why I Am a Buddhist: No-Nonsense Buddhism with Red Meat and Whiskey
  • Wonders of a Godless World
  • The Reluctant Buddhist: A Personal Look at Buddhism in the Modern World
  • Mindfulness for Dummies [with Audio CD]
  • Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life Inside the Rock and Roll Business
  • The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)
  • Tibet, Tibet: A Personal History of a Lost Land