Start by marking “Disraeli: The Victorian Dandy Who Became Prime Minister” as Want to Read:
Disraeli: The Victorian Dandy Who Became Prime Minister

Disraeli: The Victorian Dandy Who Became Prime Minister

3.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
To Thomas Carlyle he was "not worth his weight in cold bacon," but, to Queen Victoria, Benjamin Disraeli was "the kindest Minister" she had ever had and a "dear and devoted friend." In this masterly biography by England's "outstanding popular historian" (A.N. Wilson), Christopher Hibbert reveals the personal life of one of the most fascinating men of the nineteenth century ...more
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Disraeli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disraeli

Rebecca
Oct 04, 2013 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: history
I have a certain affection for Victorian history, and kept coming up against Disraeli as a personage of the age. I thought perhaps I should learn a little bit more about him.

I have now read an entire book on the guy, and I still feel like I don't know anything about him.

I have no idea what Hibbert's goal was in writing this book. As far as I know, it's not inaccurate, and it's not unreadable on a sentence level. But it's just...pointless. He somehow miraculously drains any interest from his subj
Relstuart
May 27, 2015 Relstuart rated it liked it
Both Gladstone and Disraeli have been names I've run across as significant folks in British political history on many occasions but I've not taken the time to read anything in depth on either of them till I picked this book up.

Disraeli was very peculiar as a young man, more fop than dandy. Dressing in brilliant hues and extravagant clothes. And running up debts that would haunt him for years though he seemed fairly good at ignoring those.

He seemed to come to a political career as an interest b
Adriana
Jul 06, 2013 Adriana rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I have thoroughly enjoyed other books by Hibbert, and Disraeli is a fascinating figure, but this book was mainly focused on his personal life, and reads more like a series of invitation lists for the hundreds of dinners he attended...it doesn't even quote any of his speeches in Parliament!
Bradley
I will have to read another biography in order to get beneath the surface of Benjamin Disraeli. This author was fascinated with Disraeli's personal life: travel, house parties and dining with the great and good. He shows almost no interest in Disraeli's political life. The Suez Canal purchase, the Act that made Victoria Empress of India and the various cabinets he served in and led are nothing more than incidental. Often it's not possible to tell whether he is in or out of office at a particular ...more
Jamie Deal
Jan 10, 2008 Jamie Deal rated it it was ok
BORING
Kurtbg
Nov 18, 2012 Kurtbg rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, politics
I was interested in a bio on Disraeli and picked this up at Borders before it became the economic dodo. It was the only one there so I grabbed it. Let me say that this is not a bio on Mr. D. This book seems to cover correspondence between Disraeli and various people, and occasionally letters talking about Disraeli. The books is set in a chronological order and tries to give a continuity to him.

This books gives me the impression that he was a son-of a respected writer which gave him access to a b
Andy
Dec 01, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it
What an incredibly strange man - I guess I would have been among his detractors in his day. His flamboyent dress, cavalier attitude toward debt, and sheer egotism would have offended. But he was undeniably brilliant - with a WF Buckley-esqe productivity. He wrote a score of decent novels, gave multi-hour speeches without notes, mastered the arcana of British Administration without seeming really very interested in it. The Conservative Party leaders, as a group, couldn't stand him, but really had ...more
Matt
May 22, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
It's hard to really describe how much I enjoyed this book. Hibbert gives a rich and enthralling portrayal of Disraeli the man. His flaws and strengths are fairly honestly discussed, and enabled me to view Disraeli with the kind of rich affection generally reserved for people you know and know well. I don't know that it will have the same impact on others, but I found this book fascinating from beginning to end, and I find myself quite moved having finished it. Overall a remarkable book, and a re ...more
Jason
Apr 22, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew little to nothing about Disraeli, other than he had been Prime Minister, so it was great to read a little more about him. This biography is a great introduction to the man. There is so much to him, that one biography that fully covers every interesting facet about him and the time in which he lived would fill a massive set of tomes, so I may have to get a few more bios to get further info.
Colin Flanigan
Nov 28, 2009 Colin Flanigan rated it liked it
This English politician (1804 - 1881) wrote novels, started as a Radical, ended as a Tory, and gave one of the greatest quotes about politics in a speech in the house of Commons, March 3rd 1845 . "A conservative government is an organized hypocrisy." This was not an insult, he himself being a Tory was a Conservative. A very complex man with a complex mind that loved irony and knew how to use it.
Megan
Oct 04, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
Might have been easier to follow if I had any previous knowledge of Victorian England, but the book doesn't give much background. Kind of disorganized, too.
Jonathan
Mar 21, 2007 Jonathan rated it liked it
Sort of the Bill Clinton of 19th-c Britain, except he wrote novels and was more flamboyant and was MP and PM many times.
Richard
Oct 09, 2009 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although a decent biography of the man himself, this book is ultimately disappointing, as it fails to adequately place Disraeli in the wider historical context. Although his personal life is detailed exquisitely, the details of his political career are glossed over. This often leaves the narrative feeling disconnected. A pity, as he was one of the most fascinating figures of the 19th century, and one of the major inspirations for my own (rather heterodox) conservatism.
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Nicolas D'Alessandro
Nicolas D'Alessandro marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Loveblind
Loveblind marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Ben Locker
Ben Locker rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Muhammad Nouman
Muhammad Nouman marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Anat
Anat marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
maven
maven marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Cyrano Demontcuq
Cyrano Demontcuq marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Mary Rose
Mary Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
David
David is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2016
Jeff Kaye
Jeff Kaye marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Mark Brewer
Mark Brewer rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christopher Hibbert, MC, FRSL, FRGS (5 March 1924 - 21 December 2008) was an English writer, historian and biographer. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and the author of many books, including Disraeli, Edward VII, George IV, The Rise and Fall of the House of Medici, and Cavaliers and Roundheads.

Described by Professor Sir John Plumb as "a writer of the highest ability and in the N
More about Christopher Hibbert...