Start by marking “James May's 20th Century” as Want to Read:
James May's 20th Century

James May's 20th Century

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Our world has been transformed beyond recognition, particularly in the 20th century, and so were our lives and our aspirations. Throughout James May's Magnificent Machines, James May explores the iconic themes of the past hundred years: flight, space travel, television, mechanized war, medicine, computers, electronic music, skyscrapers, electronic espionage, and much mor
Published September 6th 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd

To ask other readers questions about James May's 20th Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James May's 20th Century

SilverRaindrops
I've rarely been so sad that I've finished something, but I guess I can always rewind a few chapters and listen to them again.

I've always had a thing for men with pleasant voices explaining interesting things, and combined with my love for James May, it makes this audiobook almost perfect. I can't imagine not listening to it, but - since James has a tendency to list quite a lot of facts in a relatively short amount of time, if you want to pause and research, you're going to have to rewind a lot.
Nikki
Apr 02, 2008 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History Channel viewers and people who secretly listen to BBC online
You'll get exactly what the title says- James May's take on what he considers the important bits of the 20th century. This book is like a lecture with one of those rare, passionate teachers that makes you suddenly take an interest in something you once considered mundane. If you like that sort of thing, or if you like James May, you're set. If you like both, you'll be really entertained.

Expect an overview of the history of the car, aircraft, and other technological tidbits with some odd facts,
Min
Anyone familiar with Top Gear will be familiar with James May's wonderful sense of humour. That comes through in the pages of this book, which I found both entertaining and informative. Oh, and be sure to read the photo captions.
Reed
I am a James May fan and honestly expected more from this book. If you want to learn about the history of invention you'd do we'll to read Bill Bryson's, "A Short History of Nearly Everything" instead.
Lindsay
Engaging book written in an entertaining style covering technological advances of the 20th Century. It really is amazing the progress that was made in that time period.
Becca
This book is so incredibly geeky, and I adored it.
Adam Frior
Adam Frior marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Jennifer Weir
Jennifer Weir marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
J. Joan
J. Joan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Frances maguire
Frances maguire marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Molly Greenleaf
Molly Greenleaf marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Duke
Duke marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Lezley
Lezley added it
Nov 25, 2014
Mahmoud Sindi
Mahmoud Sindi marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James May is a British television presenter and award-winning journalist.

May is best known as co-presenter of the motoring programme Top Gear alongside Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond. He also writes a weekly column for The Daily Telegraph's motoring section. On Top Gear, his nickname is "Captain Slow", owing to his 'careful' driving style. He has, however, carried out some exceptionally high-
More about James May...
Notes from the Hard Shoulder Car Fever: Dispatches From Behind The Wheel How to Land an A330 Airbus and Other Vital Skills for the Modern Man. May on Motors James May's Magnificent Machines: How Men in Sheds Have Changed Our Lives