Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey

Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  829 ratings  ·  10 reviews

Young Fiona, rider of the gold queen Talenth, has returned from the past, where she and a group of dragons and riders fled so that the wounded could heal from their previous battles with Thread and the younger dragons could safely grow to fighting age. Gone only three days, yet aged more than three years, Fiona is no longer a child but a woman prepared to fight against the...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Createspace (first published November 23rd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonholder

Sharon
A biography only a son could have written, with love and respect. This does cover very well Anne's life (so far). I've loved her books for as long as she's been writing so to have an opportunity to look into a window into her life, not intrusively, was exquisite. Very much enjoyed the book.
Evelyn Ryan
Mine is autographed by Todd (10/12/08)!!
Stasha
A short biography of one of my favorite authors, written by her son who doesn't like his father much. It made me want tofo out and find some of her early stories. It's hard to forget that before Anne - women wore chainmail bikinis when they wore clothes ar all. She pioneered the strong female lead. Lessa and Menolly not to mention Killashandra. She was a strong woman who endured a lot. When I met her at a booksigning in college, she looked like everyone's ideal grandmother. It wasnice to learn t...more
Sara
I picked up this book thinking it would be a Pern story. It's actually a biographical story about Anne McCaffrey, written by her son. I went ahead and read it. I learned some interesting things about her--she used to make homemade bread, is a good cook. It talks about her progress as an author, a little about her family and her divorce. Other careers she pursued-in theater and music in addition to her writing, and some of the people who inspired stories and characters she's created.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Although short, this biography was very welcoming. Both Anne and Todd invite the reader in to get to know them, telling stories about the past the way good friends do over coffee or beer or whatever. It has a slightly rambling quality that reminiscences often have, and both humor and heart are at the center of it all. I would be happy to read an expanded and more detailed version of this sometime in the future, though at the same time, the length of this one feels just right.
Too short. Didn't really get into it.
Jack R Mason
If you love Anne McCaffrey you need to read this book. It was written by her son Todd and gives you some great insight into where she got her ideas and what her life was like. It was amazing. A lot of her characters were based on people in her life. Events and situations her characters were in related to things that were going on in her life at the time she was writing. All in all this book is a must read for any Anne McCaffrey fan.
Icarus
I enjoy biographies so much, I probably should seek them out more. But I pretty much only read them when they fall into my lap. Oh well. I enjoyed learning the history behind McCaffrey's creation of Pern and her rise to prominence in SF.
Rabbitt
Oct 18, 2008 Rabbitt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was a nice read. I don't often read biographies but enjoyed a brief look into my favorite authors life. It was fun to see how some of her books came about.
Sharon
An account of the high points of McCaffrey's life. Sheds quite a bit of light on her fiction. I'd like more detail on what she's been up to since this one was written.
Lynne Freiberger
Lynne Freiberger marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Brian Duckworth
Brian Duckworth marked it as to-read
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Myra Peterson
Myra Peterson marked it as to-read
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Malin Strandli
Malin Strandli marked it as to-read
  • A Diversity of Dragons
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
Dragonheart (Pern, #21) Dragonsblood (Pern, #18) Dragongirl (Pern, #22) Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern City of Angels