Start by marking “Load of Old Balls: A Ranking of Men in History” as Want to Read:
Load of Old Balls: A Ranking of Men in History

Load of Old Balls: A Ranking of Men in History

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The comedienne Jo Brand has selected her top 50 men in history, and provided brief, sometimes witty, sometimes savage portraits of them. Genghis Khan, John F. Kennedy and Henry VIII are some of those she lampoons in this guide to the men who have shaped our world.
Published April 22nd 1996 by Not Avail (first published October 17th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Load of Old Balls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Load of Old Balls

Great to read in little snippets, and great to read from a feminist point of view. A funny retelling of lives of famous men through history.
Was bought this as a Christmas gift with a bottle of wine (by someone who knew me well).
Talk about interesting, written about people we all know about but in a completely different light, Jo is blunt and to the point but makes it so funny too, the little illustrations are great too.
Has been borrowed and returned by many a friend with thanks for the the laugh so we all can't be wrong, can we?
I expected this to be funnier. It is a little dated (written in 1994), and I wasn't familiar with all of the men included here, but it was still a nice book to read when I only had a few minutes to spare.
I picked this one up because I love Jo Brand on QI. It's pretty dated, but I got some good laughs out of it. It would make a good bathroom book!
I listened to the audiobook narrated by Jo Brand. I really enjoyed this satirical view of historical figures.
a load of old balls is right!! worst book i ever read!!
Very funny!
Emma added it
Oct 11, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Dina added it
Sep 12, 2015
Paula Williams
Paula Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Jacqueline Carvell
Jacqueline Carvell marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Angelina marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Margaret Moody
Margaret Moody marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Ruth Johnstone
Ruth Johnstone marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Cefakat marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Josephine "Jo" Grace Brand is a BAFTA winning English stand-up comedienne, writer and actress.
Commencing her entertainment career with a move from psychiatric nursing to the alternative comedy stand up scene and early performances on Saturday Live, she went on to appearances on The Brain Drain, Channel 4's Jo Brand Through the Cakehole, Getting On and various television appearances including as a
More about Jo Brand...