Start by marking “The Treasure Is The Rose” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Treasure Is The Rose

Julia Cunningham

The Treasure Is The Rose

Though Ariane lives in poverty, her castle is invaded by three strangers determined to find a treasure.
Published 1973 by Pantheon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Is The Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Is The Rose

Josiphine
I read this book ages and ages ago (maybe when I was ten years old) and something recently reminded me of it so I tried to find it again. It's a perfect fairy tale and I enjoyed re-reading it very much.
Amanda
Jan 27, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
I first read this as a kid and I loved it. For years and years I looked for it, but could not remember the exact title. It was a happy day when I picked it up at a church book sale and recognized my childhood friend.
It is a short and simple story of Ariane, a Countess who lives a simple life tending the garden her late husband created for her. Her castle is rundown and she is poor, but she's happy surrounded by the roses that remind her of her beloved husband. Three vagabonds, led by the cruel Y
Cera
Jun 03, 2011 Cera rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books when I was a child, and it holds up beautifully. It's set loosely in medieval France, but it's an imagined one, I think -- there's no details, no pinning it down in time & place. A snow-globe setting, where the focus is on what is important, and then everything starts to fade around the edges. Thinking about it more, it's a story about healing and redemption and finding a place in the world, so it's not a surprise I've loved it for so long.
Jennifer Rockwell
Sep 22, 2012 Jennifer Rockwell rated it really liked it
A simple, quietly haunting tale for the kind-hearted.

As a girl I loved this story of a gentle young widow beset upon by three wayward thieves, and I still do. A tale of quiet bravery and redemption, it will resonate with young dreamers. I can remember teaching myself to play the simple song at the end of the book on the recorder. I still know the words and can play it to this day.
Arlene Allen
Another one that held up over time. Technically a children's books but the characters are actually young adults. A bandit approaches a lady's manor looking for treasure - and the actual treasure he finds is unexpected. Oh I love this book. This is one of those books that put romantic notions in my head that outlaws can be reformed. Only in books and movie and tv, my friends.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I'm baffled, because I'm almost certain that I had reviewed this previously, and yet I can't find the review here on GR. Anyway, I liked the illustrations. But the story seemed kind of meh. A little too sweet in places.
Kelly
Jan 17, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I adored this book when I was younger, and I just picked it up to reread. I love it just as much, if not more, now than I did then. It's written beautifully and it's very easy to get lost in the story. It's a quick and very enjoyable read.
Julian Griffith
Dec 29, 2012 Julian Griffith rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much when I was young. It's thinner and sparser now than I remembered it, but then, it was a vivid window into the Middle Ages, and I adored it. I still hold a fondness for it even now.
CLM
Jul 28, 2007 CLM rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrensbooks
This reminded me of that awful book, The Giving Tree. Ugh! It was recommended by a Maudler but I was somewhat disappointed. I still can't imagine it being someone's favorite book!
Firefly_1824
It's a nice story, but I'm not really sure I believe the ending. The illustrations are nice, and the heroine displays a virtuous character.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Lisa Tow
Lisa Tow rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Carla Joy
Carla Joy rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2008
Vesna Denić
Vesna Denić rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2013
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2009
Lovely Rita
Lovely Rita rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Tess Avelland
Tess Avelland rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Grant&Mimi
Jan 13, 2009 Grant&Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood favorite
Jenny Schwartzberg
Jenny Schwartzberg rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Impyfiche
Impyfiche rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
MaDiSoN_RaNaE
MaDiSoN_RaNaE rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Kaylynn
Kaylynn rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Abigail Ray
Abigail Ray rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
On October 4, 1916 in Spokane, Washington, Julia Cunningham was born. Julia went to school for a short time in Virginia. She was an editor and held various other jobs before writing children's and young adult books. The Vision of Francois the Fox, Ms. Cunningham's first book, was published in 1960, followed by Viollet (1966), The Treasure is the Rose (1973), and Tuppeny (1978).

Her book, Dorp Dead
More about Julia Cunningham...