Start by marking “Solar Flare” as Want to Read:
Solar Flare

Solar Flare

Without the sun's powerful gravity, our earth would fly into space. The sun keeps us from freezing to death, allows food to grow and gives us energy to fuel everything from calculators to cars. Yet this faithful lifeline also has the power to wipe us
Published September 1st 1997 by Northfield Press (first published September 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Solar Flare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solar Flare

Kyle Pratt
Jan 24, 2013 Kyle Pratt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Not recommended
As a Christian and a fan of science fiction, I had great hopes for Solar Flare as I opened the book and began to read. Christian art in all its forms is used to glorify God and/or as a vehicle to present ideas about the faith. Solar Flare is Mr. Burkett's means to discuss ideas about society from a Christian perspective. If you do not want to hear those ideas, do not buy this book.

The book is an easy read and is suitable for young readers however, the pacing is slow to begin with and that my cha
Barbara
Jul 14, 2008 Barbara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christian Sci-Fi
Jenny
Oct 30, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is phenomenal, idea wise. I like the writing style in that it is simple and gets to the point. The storyline can be annoyingly frustrating at first while you are waiting for the shoe to drop, but it makes the result all the better. This book has phenomenal ideas and thoughts, and it really makes you question the way we run society today. Is it better than our past? I love that there is no real conclusive answer in this book, either. This is a very human book, and Burkett really details ...more
Glenn
Oct 30, 2013 Glenn rated it really liked it
This was a great book about what it would be like returning to the days pre-electronic age... Interesting take on crime and punishment etc. Where people are made to work to eat, no slacking. Where the community is safe for children to go and play... Enjoyable read
Chele
Nov 19, 2009 Chele rated it it was amazing
Hard to get in to but GREAT after you do!!! I own this book! All of the family (cept Jess) has read it and like it a lot.
Rick
Aug 07, 2008 Rick rated it it was ok
An interesting premise, but fairly predictible
Jim Carey
Nov 07, 2012 Jim Carey rated it it was ok
Not a very good book.Poor editing detracted from what could have been a good story.
Larry Wegman
Feb 03, 2017 Larry Wegman rated it it was ok
I thought very highly of Burkett as a financial advisor using the Bible as the source for the financial principles he espoused. BUT, he's no novelist. His view here of groups with whom he (and often I) disagrees is simplistic, and he has people do things that seem to be unlikely given the circumstances. Some of his ideas about how the government should handle a Carrington event seem good. I need to check on whether some of the effects of a flare on electric and magnetic systems that he has happe ...more
Wayne
Feb 18, 2017 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Great read. Flowed good. Just when you thought it was over, something else happened. A lot of info on how our wonderful world was created. Gave a scenario of the effects of a liberal worldview.
Alexandra
May 17, 2014 Alexandra rated it liked it
3/5 stars

Let me first say this book was to be rated 3.5-4 stars.

Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of this book - a massive solar flare hits earth and people scramble to take power and save lives. I found the human nature in the book to be realistic - should this happen today, there will be power struggles and conflicting opinions and a fight to survive. I enjoyed the science fiction plot and realistic apocalyptic scenario.

(view spoiler)
Paula
Feb 22, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: nana-owns
This one started off so badly written that I wasn't sure I would be able to stick to my 100-page rule. I got to page 81 and at some point after that, it got interesting enough to stop counting. As a story, this was actually quite gripping. But it was still painfully poorly written in places. There was a lot of repetition of facts that were quoted only a page or two previously - as though the reader might have forgotten (or gotten bored, gone away, and picked up again after two weeks). The prolog ...more
Michael
Dec 05, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2013
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. A friend recommended it and brought it to me when she found it at a yard sale for $1. I read the into and sat it down to continue a couple books of the series I was reading. I picked it up when I didn't have the next book in the series, and after digging through the first couple chapters it really picks up. I was expecting a whole science fiction "lets go put something in space", but it turned into a "end of the world" story. Would recommend.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 05, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: thrillers
This was a decent read. I picked it up because I love astronomy. Compared to other books out there, it probably doesn't stack up. Pick it up if your reading list is growing thin.
Eric
Feb 11, 2015 Eric rated it it was ok
What happens when a almost-disgraced scientist forecasts a disastrour solar flare, what happens to the US in the first year after such an event.
faithful
Jul 29, 2008 faithful rated it really liked it
A book that my science / non-reading son picks up and reads over and over which is always a good thing. I like it myself as well even though it made me stretch.
Nick Woodall
Jan 22, 2016 Nick Woodall rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction, novel
A fun novel about what happens on Earth when a huge solar flare erupts from the sun. Some interesting scenarios.
Lugene
Feb 27, 2012 Lugene rated it really liked it
What would happen if the world was forced to go back to the life style of the 1800s? How would people react, what would happen to our government, who would survive?
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Dan Porter
Dan Porter rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Carolyn Shepherd
Carolyn Shepherd rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Carol Thompson
Carol Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Zeb Frye
Zeb Frye rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Donita Toavs
Donita Toavs rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2009
Alan
Alan rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2009
Dj Wells
Dj Wells rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Rob Dennis
Rob Dennis rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2007
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2011
Shatasha M. Lawson
Shatasha M. Lawson rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, #1)
  • The Silent Victor (Beginnings Series, #1)
  • War with the Robots (Science Fiction)
  • Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth (2000AD Presents)
  • The Third Millenium
  • Nightfall [Short story]
  • In My Father's House (Shiloh Legacy #1)
  • Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters from Mickey Mouse to Aladdin
  • Sometimes a Light Surprises
  • Miranda (Miranda Trilogy #3)
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • Dead Days: Episode One (Dead Days Season One #1)
  • Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Larry Burkett was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After completing high school in Winter Garden, Florida, he entered the U.S. Air Force where he served in the Strategic Air Command.

Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned t
More about Larry Burkett...