Start by marking “Solar Flare” as Want to Read:
Solar Flare

Solar Flare

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Without the sun's powerful gravity, our earth would fly into space. The sun keeps us from freezing to death, allows food to grow and gives us energy to fuel everything from calculators to cars. Yet this faithful lifeline also has the power to wipe us
Published September 1st 1997 by Northfield Press (first published September 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Solar Flare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solar Flare

Kyle Pratt
Jan 25, 2013 Kyle Pratt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Not recommended
As a Christian and a fan of science fiction, I had great hopes for Solar Flare as I opened the book and began to read. Christian art in all its forms is used to glorify God and/or as a vehicle to present ideas about the faith. Solar Flare is Mr. Burkett's means to discuss ideas about society from a Christian perspective. If you do not want to hear those ideas, do not buy this book.

The book is an easy read and is suitable for young readers however, the pacing is slow to begin with and that my cha
Barbara
Jul 20, 2008 Barbara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian Sci-Fi
Jenny
This book is phenomenal, idea wise. I like the writing style in that it is simple and gets to the point. The storyline can be annoyingly frustrating at first while you are waiting for the shoe to drop, but it makes the result all the better. This book has phenomenal ideas and thoughts, and it really makes you question the way we run society today. Is it better than our past? I love that there is no real conclusive answer in this book, either. This is a very human book, and Burkett really details ...more
Ally
3/5 stars

Let me first say this book was to be rated 3.5-4 stars.

Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of this book - a massive solar flare hits earth and people scramble to take power and save lives. I found the human nature in the book to be realistic - should this happen today, there will be power struggles and conflicting opinions and a fight to survive. I enjoyed the science fiction plot and realistic apocalyptic scenario.

(view spoiler)
Chele
Hard to get in to but GREAT after you do!!! I own this book! All of the family (cept Jess) has read it and like it a lot.
Jim Carey
Not a very good book.Poor editing detracted from what could have been a good story.
Rick
An interesting premise, but fairly predictible
Paula
This one started off so badly written that I wasn't sure I would be able to stick to my 100-page rule. I got to page 81 and at some point after that, it got interesting enough to stop counting. As a story, this was actually quite gripping. But it was still painfully poorly written in places. There was a lot of repetition of facts that were quoted only a page or two previously - as though the reader might have forgotten (or gotten bored, gone away, and picked up again after two weeks). The prolog ...more
Eric
What happens when a almost-disgraced scientist forecasts a disastrour solar flare, what happens to the US in the first year after such an event.
Michael
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. A friend recommended it and brought it to me when she found it at a yard sale for $1. I read the into and sat it down to continue a couple books of the series I was reading. I picked it up when I didn't have the next book in the series, and after digging through the first couple chapters it really picks up. I was expecting a whole science fiction "lets go put something in space", but it turned into a "end of the world" story. Would recommend.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 05, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: thrillers
This was a decent read. I picked it up because I love astronomy. Compared to other books out there, it probably doesn't stack up. Pick it up if your reading list is growing thin.
Lugene
What would happen if the world was forced to go back to the life style of the 1800s? How would people react, what would happen to our government, who would survive?
faithful
A book that my science / non-reading son picks up and reads over and over which is always a good thing. I like it myself as well even though it made me stretch.
Chad Mitchell
Chad Mitchell marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Naomi Coffren
Naomi Coffren marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
Montanamarynotmartha
Montanamarynotmartha marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Adina
Adina added it
Dec 10, 2014
William Billar
William Billar marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kevin Mccann
Kevin Mccann marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, #1)
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • War with the Robots (Science Fiction)
  • The Third Millenium
  • Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Victories and Sacrifices (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Imposter
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Warning: The Story Of A Reluctant Prophet Chosen By God
  • The Shiloh Legacy Complete Set (#1-3)
  • Double Helix
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
Larry Burkett was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After completing high school in Winter Garden, Florida, he entered the U.S. Air Force where he served in the Strategic Air Command.

Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned t
More about Larry Burkett...
The Illuminati Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace The Thor Conspiracy: The Seventy-Hour Countdown to Disaster Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples Debt Free Living