Start by marking “Superstition” as Want to Read:
Superstition

Superstition

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Parapsychologist Sam Towne believes that ghosts come from the human mind, not from "beyond". To prove his theory, he invites eight volunteers, including skeptical reporter Joanna Cross, to take part in an experiment. In a series of seances they invent "Adam Wyatt," a tragic Revolutionary War hero, and are thrilled when he starts rapping on tables and spelling out messages. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Warner Books, Inc (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Superstition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superstition

George
Apr 27, 2008 George rated it it was ok
\had a few problems with this one , the lead characters annoying in a kind of Harry Potter way " well funny you should ask this is blah blah blah" is used to explain evrything , also the " ghost " is perfectly justified in killing everyone that created him , because they wrote the worlds dorkiest backstory for him. really bad
Shannon
Aug 06, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it
This one has the feel of an old-school horror movie, like Psycho, The Exorcist, or an old Hitchcock film - it's definitely a psychological suspense. A lot of it is setting the mood, meeting the characters, and all that stuff. I would say the first two-thirds of the novel moves pretty slowly, although that's not to say it wasn't interesting. Basically, the characters are planning on creating a ghost, with the idea that the mind has the power to do so, and there's a lot of discussion about how thi ...more
Lois Duncan
Feb 15, 2012 Lois Duncan rated it really liked it
I found what might otherwise have been an ordinary horror story, (I'm not a fan of horror), surprisingly interesting because of the thought provoking concepts it contained. I've written a number of novels that involve the paranormal--(THE THIRD EYE, STRANGER WITH MY FACE, SUMMER OF FEAR, etc.)--as well as one non-fiction book, PSYCHIC CONNECTIONS: A JOURNEY INTO THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD OF PSI (now out of print) which I co-authored with parapsychologist Dr. William Roll. During the course of that pr ...more
Teji
Jan 24, 2009 Teji rated it liked it
Frances Taylor-smith
I found this book much by chance. I was waiting for my friends to arrive so we could catch up and I'd just received a call to tell me they were running late so I decided to have a look at the books in the local charity shop. I read the blurb and was vaguely intrigued so I bought it for 50p and off I went.

I honestly never been happier that my friends were late. It gave me an extra hour to read this book and it was worth it.

This story is so thought provoking, it really does make you question the r
Kimberly Yates
Jan 27, 2015 Kimberly Yates rated it really liked it
Great story line where a group comes together to try and disprove the existence of ghosts or of the unknown in general. Coming at it from the perspective that we ourselves are creating the paranormal occurrences that may happen. So they try to create a ghost, someone who has never existed before, but what happens when the Ouija board comes out blows them away. This is a great ghost story and I loved this book.

This was one of those "unputdownable" books. Its broke up into short chapters, which I
Laurie Rigler
Jul 24, 2009 Laurie Rigler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE THIS BOOK--read twice and will definitely read again.
Holly Rusak
Jun 10, 2012 Holly Rusak rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
Donnelle
Apr 11, 2010 Donnelle rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this novel when I was searching for thrillers that were suspenseful and genuinely creepy, and this book certainly meets (and exceeds) those criteria.

I won't rehash the plot, because others have done such a good job of detailing it. I have to say, though, that the subject matter is certainly provocative, in that it explores the genesis of ghostly encounters and stories by focusing on the power of the mind in terms of first creating and then actually manifesting entities and energ
Jay T.
Dec 16, 2012 Jay T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Superstition by David Ambrose

Ambrose uses an actual experiment carried out in Toronto Canada by a team of Parapsychologists known as the “Phillip Experiment” as a platform and structural foundation for his novel. Ambrose writes a rather decent suspense/ Ghost story, definitely scary in its’ own way. In 1972 the Phillip experiment was conducted to try to prove a theory that simply stated that ghosts and possibly other forms of paranormal activity were produced in the human mind, and can be produc
Ernesto Astorga
Jul 24, 2015 Ernesto Astorga rated it it was amazing
Este libro es algo nuevo para mi. No había probado este género antes y este libro para mi fue el indicado porque me ha encantado y me ha parecido de lo más interesante. Al principio a mi me pareció un poco que no llegaban al tema y comenzaba a creer que trataría de algo distinto, pero ya más adelante llegó al punto. Le daría algo superior a las 4.5 estrellas pero sin llegar a las 5. Pero en el rango que. puedo darle en mi celular con goodreads le doy las 5
Anurag
Mar 20, 2014 Anurag rated it it was ok
The book's got its own moments.
I really liked the amalgamation of science and supernatural element, especially the part where the experiments are detailed out.
There are some chills in the first half of the book.
But I thought the book lost it way somewhere thereafter and the ending was a disaster. I had expected a lot more from what could have been a real interesting read, but rather turned out to be a disappointing one.
Maryann Troche
Nov 20, 2014 Maryann Troche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What just happened?

WOW!!!!!! I would really love to discuss this book with different people and get their takes on "what just happened"? This book is captivating, can't put it down, you think you know what is going on - but do you? Without spoiling the book by telling you what goes on - all I will say is my cousin and I read the book together and she couldn't figure it out. I actually couldn't either; however, I kept pondering over it like a sliver stuck in my hand that needed to come out yet I
Firebolt
Jun 06, 2015 Firebolt rated it it was amazing
I read this more than ten years ago and couldn't forget it afterwards. If you want to know what "chilling" means, come read this story. A 5-star recommendation.
Jan
Jul 25, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, ghosts
Convinced that ghosts are actually manifestations of the combined will of living individuals, Sam creates an experiment bringing a group of people together to try to do just that. They create a fictional character and start the experiment. But when things start to go bad and they want to stop the test, people start dying.

I enjoyed this book. I like the premise and think it is very original. It kept me engaged but there is quite a bit of theory that got repeated often. So at some points I felt li
Apr 11, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it kept me gripped right to the end and I didn't see the twist coming at the end.
Emme Zava
Aug 16, 2014 Emme Zava rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I thought it was such a new take on the traditional horror/ghost story.
Jan
Jan 22, 2016 Jan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
Great book. Keep you thinking and trying to see how it could happen!
Sheila
Oct 28, 2014 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, read-in-2014
Doing a reread of a book I really liked about 15 years ago.

I still really like this book; keeping it at 4 stars. It feels like a throwback to the late 70s/early 80s books about telekinesis and studying ghostly phenomena and the like. The character attitudes and dialogue were a bit dated too (I kept looking at the copyright page to confirm: huh, it really was published in 1997!).

There are cheesy moments here, but overall this is gripping story--and an unusual take on ghosts.
Tina
Jun 15, 2009 Tina rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what a psychological/supernatural thriller should be. The pacing was excellent, and it even brought in some sci-fi and paranormal concepts that helped to "fill out" the plot with some research based science. I can't wait to read another book by Ambrose! Oh, and I know it's an excellent thriller when I have to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and I turn on the light. I was a tad creeped out, which is a good thing! It takes a lot to spook me.
Jessica
I read this book as a kid (I got very bored with the selection in the Children's section of the library, so I regularly wandered over to the grown-up section) and then mostly forgot about it until one day I remembered a particular scene and decided to find the book again.

The book didn't really hold up to my memories. I found that I didn't like it as much this time around, and was almost bored waiting for things to pick up. It is a good story, though, and I did finish it.
Cynthia
Dec 31, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a book. It has been a long time since a story managed to startle me and Superstition did it. Maybe it is the fact that this is not only a ghost tale but a narrative that makes you consider what is possible and what is not. It made me wonder about the relation about logic/science and all those things that happens around us and that we cannot fully place under one of this categories, still they are undeniable there and, one way or another, we use.
Zauberlehrling!
May 15, 2012 Zauberlehrling! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, favorites
Eher harmlos und wie ein Buch das aufdecken will kommt es daher und entwickelt sich schnell zu einem Roman der Extraklasse. Spannend von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite, die einem eine Ahnung davon gibt, das das noch lange nicht das Ende war. Man bekommt Angst länger über eine Sache nachzudenken, aus Angst sie könnte sich materialisieren und meine Vergangenheit / Zukunft verändern. Ein kurzweiliges Buch für einen super Filmstoff.
Irinel Finco
Feb 03, 2016 Irinel Finco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I read the book in pretty much one day, it was good, but it freaked me out quite a bit. This is the best I read of Ambrose's books.
Ann M
Apr 13, 2009 Ann M rated it liked it
A pretty good story, but the narrative voice could have been a lot sharper. I didn't have a good sense of character or place -- it was all kind of foggy. There is a parapsychology researcher and a journalist who likes to expose psychic frauds. They fall in love, and try to conjure up a fake ghost, to see what will happen. What happens is the course of their lives are changed...weirdly.
Debra
Aug 11, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Great story supposedly based on a parapsychology experiment performed in the 70s. (I've ordered the witness account of the experiment just for grins and giggles. I'm gullible, what can I say?)

This isn't your average ghost story in my opinion. It's very unique and intriguing and I felt deeply for the main characters. Throw in a good curse and you've got an interesting novel.
Emma
Oct 27, 2009 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, david-ambrose
I read the whole of this book but I did not enjoy it at all. The premise is a good one but it just turned out to be your average ghost story, so I was seriously let down by it.

The only redeeming parts were the small moments of suspense about half way in and the ending (not just because I disliked the book - it did have a decent ending).
Elizabeth Kennedy
Nov 24, 2015 Elizabeth Kennedy rated it liked it
THoroughly frightening but also hard to follow and understand.
Doreen
Nov 19, 2013 Doreen rated it really liked it
This one keeps you guessing right up to the end. Even after! I am still not sure what I just read and what really happened...

The story line is great, the book was well written, but boy are there some major twists and turns in this one.
Gmaharriet
Jan 30, 2016 Gmaharriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book enormously. It takes a lot of suspension of disbelief, but if you just go with it, it's very rewarding. There are some strange twists and turns, and the ending is completely unexpected. Highly recommended!
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2013
  • The Eerie Adventures of the Lycanthrope Robinson Crusoe
  • Spectrums: Our Mind-boggling Universe from Infinitesimal to Infinity
  • Lucretia and the Kroons
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Possession
  • A Child Across the Sky (Answered Prayers, #3)
  • Nevermore
  • Salsa Nocturna: Stories
  • Five Mile House
  • Higgs Discovery: The Power of Empty Space
  • The Broken Ones
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
  • Grimoire
  • La couleur de l'âme des anges
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • The Confessions of Rick James: "Memoirs of a Super Freak"
  • Dunkel