Start by marking “Superstition” as Want to Read:
Superstition

Superstition

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Parapsychologist Sam Towne believes that ghosts come from the human mind, not from "beyond". To prove his theory, he invites eight volunteers, including skeptical reporter Joanna Cross, to take part in an experiment. In a series of seances they invent "Adam Wyatt," a tragic Revolutionary War hero, and are thrilled when he starts rapping on tables and spelling out messages....more
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Warner Books, Inc (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Superstition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superstition

George
\had a few problems with this one , the lead characters annoying in a kind of Harry Potter way " well funny you should ask this is blah blah blah" is used to explain evrything , also the " ghost " is perfectly justified in killing everyone that created him , because they wrote the worlds dorkiest backstory for him. really bad
Lois Duncan
I found what might otherwise have been an ordinary horror story, (I'm not a fan of horror), surprisingly interesting because of the thought provoking concepts it contained. I've written a number of novels that involve the paranormal--(THE THIRD EYE, STRANGER WITH MY FACE, SUMMER OF FEAR, etc.)--as well as one non-fiction book, PSYCHIC CONNECTIONS: A JOURNEY INTO THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD OF PSI (now out of print) which I co-authored with parapsychologist Dr. William Roll. During the course of that pr...more
Shannon
This one has the feel of an old-school horror movie, like Psycho, The Exorcist, or an old Hitchcock film - it's definitely a psychological suspense. A lot of it is setting the mood, meeting the characters, and all that stuff. I would say the first two-thirds of the novel moves pretty slowly, although that's not to say it wasn't interesting. Basically, the characters are planning on creating a ghost, with the idea that the mind has the power to do so, and there's a lot of discussion about how thi...more
Teji
Frances Taylor-smith
I found this book much by chance. I was waiting for my friends to arrive so we could catch up and I'd just received a call to tell me they were running late so I decided to have a look at the books in the local charity shop. I read the blurb and was vaguely intrigued so I bought it for 50p and off I went.

I honestly never been happier that my friends were late. It gave me an extra hour to read this book and it was worth it.

This story is so thought provoking, it really does make you question the r...more
Laurie Rigler
LOVE THIS BOOK--read twice and will definitely read again.
Holly Rusak
Paige
I stumbled upon this novel when I was searching for thrillers that were suspenseful and genuinely creepy, and this book certainly meets (and exceeds) those criteria.

I won't rehash the plot, because others have done such a good job of detailing it. I have to say, though, that the subject matter is certainly provocative, in that it explores the genesis of ghostly encounters and stories by focusing on the power of the mind in terms of first creating and then actually manifesting entities and energ...more
Jay T.
Superstition by David Ambrose

Ambrose uses an actual experiment carried out in Toronto Canada by a team of Parapsychologists known as the “Phillip Experiment” as a platform and structural foundation for his novel. Ambrose writes a rather decent suspense/ Ghost story, definitely scary in its’ own way. In 1972 the Phillip experiment was conducted to try to prove a theory that simply stated that ghosts and possibly other forms of paranormal activity were produced in the human mind, and can be produc...more
Anurag
The book's got its own moments.
I really liked the amalgamation of science and supernatural element, especially the part where the experiments are detailed out.
There are some chills in the first half of the book.
But I thought the book lost it way somewhere thereafter and the ending was a disaster. I had expected a lot more from what could have been a real interesting read, but rather turned out to be a disappointing one.
Jan
Convinced that ghosts are actually manifestations of the combined will of living individuals, Sam creates an experiment bringing a group of people together to try to do just that. They create a fictional character and start the experiment. But when things start to go bad and they want to stop the test, people start dying.

I enjoyed this book. I like the premise and think it is very original. It kept me engaged but there is quite a bit of theory that got repeated often. So at some points I felt li...more
I really enjoyed this book, it kept me gripped right to the end and I didn't see the twist coming at the end.
Tracy Zavaleta
I loved this story. I thought it was such a new take on the traditional horror/ghost story.
Tina
This is exactly what a psychological/supernatural thriller should be. The pacing was excellent, and it even brought in some sci-fi and paranormal concepts that helped to "fill out" the plot with some research based science. I can't wait to read another book by Ambrose! Oh, and I know it's an excellent thriller when I have to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and I turn on the light. I was a tad creeped out, which is a good thing! It takes a lot to spook me.
Jessica
I read this book as a kid (I got very bored with the selection in the Children's section of the library, so I regularly wandered over to the grown-up section) and then mostly forgot about it until one day I remembered a particular scene and decided to find the book again.

The book didn't really hold up to my memories. I found that I didn't like it as much this time around, and was almost bored waiting for things to pick up. It is a good story, though, and I did finish it.
Zauberlehrling!
Eher harmlos und wie ein Buch das aufdecken will kommt es daher und entwickelt sich schnell zu einem Roman der Extraklasse. Spannend von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite, die einem eine Ahnung davon gibt, das das noch lange nicht das Ende war. Man bekommt Angst länger über eine Sache nachzudenken, aus Angst sie könnte sich materialisieren und meine Vergangenheit / Zukunft verändern. Ein kurzweiliges Buch für einen super Filmstoff.
Ann M
A pretty good story, but the narrative voice could have been a lot sharper. I didn't have a good sense of character or place -- it was all kind of foggy. There is a parapsychology researcher and a journalist who likes to expose psychic frauds. They fall in love, and try to conjure up a fake ghost, to see what will happen. What happens is the course of their lives are changed...weirdly.
Debra
Great story supposedly based on a parapsychology experiment performed in the 70s. (I've ordered the witness account of the experiment just for grins and giggles. I'm gullible, what can I say?)

This isn't your average ghost story in my opinion. It's very unique and intriguing and I felt deeply for the main characters. Throw in a good curse and you've got an interesting novel.
Emma
I read the whole of this book but I did not enjoy it at all. The premise is a good one but it just turned out to be your average ghost story, so I was seriously let down by it.

The only redeeming parts were the small moments of suspense about half way in and the ending (not just because I disliked the book - it did have a decent ending).
Doreen
This one keeps you guessing right up to the end. Even after! I am still not sure what I just read and what really happened...

The story line is great, the book was well written, but boy are there some major twists and turns in this one.
Caitlin
The book itself was pretty entertaining most of the time, enough for me to keep going anyway.
But the ending was so disappointing and poorly put together that I finished regretting I'd kept going in the first place.
Ratforce
If you don’t mind a hint of the paranormal in your thrillers, this white-knuckle, lights-on book by David Ambrose may be for you. It has the intensity, fast pace and suspense you seem to enjoy in a book.
Tess
Really really good. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, but I enjoyed the thrill all the way through. Totally recommend to any ghost fan who wants a little bit more thought in their paranormal fiction.
Daniel
Sep 18, 2013 Daniel added it
this book is good but i thought it was kind of boring so i started to read another book called door in the lake it is going so good i love reading it,it also helps me with my vocabulary in my writing.
Soul Impulse
This book has had quite a lot of impressions of his own, truly unique, intricate plot ... A very detailed description of the characters are very colorful, which is ... In general, this is a solid five.
Cindi
*** Update: I decided that I did actually read this. ***

Sounds familiar and maybe I read this quite a while ago? I'll have to get it from the library and make sure I don't get it on the Kindle.
Paige
Doesn't quite make my keeper shelf, but this is a good one. A thriller with a paranormal skew. A group undertakes an experiment to see if they can create a ghost. Things go rather predictably wrong.
Steven Koch
I liked this book, but it kind of took a while for it to grow on me, and the end, although satisfying was quite unexpected, I won't tell any more so as not to spoil it for anyone else.
Tim
Held my interest, then lost steam at the very end. I found that to be most unfortunate since the last quarter was the best part of the story. 5 of 10 stars for this almost good tale.
Jane
I would recommend this book to people who are into thriller/supernatural stories. A mind-boggling book that will leave you hanging afterwards.
  • Possession
  • Salsa Nocturna
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Candlenight
  • Lucretia and the Kroons
  • The Intruder
  • Ghosts
  • The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)
  • Night of the Ripper
  • Act of Love
  • Journal: The Short Life and Mysterious Death of Amy Zoe Mason
  • Nevermore
  • Higgs Discovery: The Power of Empty Space
  • Psychlone
  • Mr. Monk Gets Even (Mr. Monk, #15)
  • The Art of Murder
  • The Big Nap (A Mommy-Track Mystery #2)
  • Requiem
The Man Who Turned Into Himself Coincidence The Discrete Charm of Charlie Monk Mother of God A Memory Of Demons