Start by marking “Leading at the Edge : Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition” as Want to Read:

Part adventure story, part leadership guide, this intriguing book examines Shackleton's legendary Antarctic expedition through the lens of business--to reveal a set of powerful strategies for corporate leaders.

In the chronicles of extraordinary adventures and against-the-odds survival, nothing compares to the story of Sir Ernest Shackleton and his team of South Pole explor
Published May 5th 2000 by AMACOM (first published April 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Leading at the Edge , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading at the Edge

Sharon
Aug 12, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because of the stories and examples that accompany the guiding principles. A lot of that might be my personal preference because I like context and stories, which is why I hated history class but like history shows on tv that tell peoples' stories. The principles aren't earth-shattering compared to other leadership books, but there are a few that have a different perspective like celebrating. The principles are also presented in a simple way and the stories/examples help ...more
Keith
Mar 22, 2008 Keith rated it it was amazing
Based on Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition, I believe this book to be one of the best on leadership principles. The author Perkins lays down 10 principles Shackleton used to get everyone home safe, and applying them in the every day life examples. The distilled knowledge in this book I am still learning to appreciate. Anyone wanting to go into business should read this book.
Robert Mosley
Jan 12, 2016 Robert Mosley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book illustrates methods of leadership at the Edge that can be applied todsy

In this book on leadership I observed the key notes of leadership that can be applied in both my military and civilian life. These nuggets of gold bring an old feel to modern problems. Focusing on not how to accomplish the mission rather what is the mission and what makes it great leaders.
Kevin
Dec 03, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it
10 things that keep Shackleton and his crew alive while trapped in the ice. Think leading your team cohesively is tough, image doing it while nearly freezing to death.

I still take a look at the 10 rules and try and apply them.
David
Jun 24, 2016 David rated it really liked it
The book ties leadership principles back the story of Antarctic explorers. The detail and research on the explorers is very good.
Carol
Oct 07, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
In August, I went to the Connecticut Library Association's Leadership Conference, at which our speaker was Jillian Murphy, one of the authors. She gave a really engaging talk based on this book. It was way better than I was expecting from a leadership conference. Out library director got several copies of the book, and gave one to me, so I went ahead and read it.
Like the talk, this book was way better than I was expecting from a management text. It's all built around the Shackleton expedition to
David
Feb 01, 2011 David rated it liked it
This kept me engaged through the whole book. The chapters are essentially broken down into what happened during the course of the expedition and how those actions map into the author(s) leadership attributes. Each chapter ends with a case study of an influential person and how the Shackleton story has affected how they approach leadership. While some of the attributes are a little contrived (I can be somewhat cynical), I still think this is a worthwhile read. Shackleton was an rare person who wa ...more
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Lecciones de liderazgo, de Dennis N. T. Perkins.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: liderazgo, características de un buen líder, analizar y tomar decisiones.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Lecciones de liderazgo, 10 estrategias para liderar al límite de la resistencia humana: Lecciones de liderazgo
Jessica
Oct 07, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was another assigned reading for my Leadership class. I loved it! I'm a fan of survival stories and this was an amazing one! The fact that all of the crew survived the ordeal is a testament to Shackleton's leadership. This is the best leadership book that I've read so far! The contemporary examples of "leading at the edge" were good as well.
Patrick Matte
L'histoire de Shackleton est très intéressante et c'est une bonne idée d'en faire un exemple de leadership. Par contre, comme bien des livres de "self-help", on aurait pu couper le livre de moitié et passer le même message. Je vais me garder une copie des 10 leçons présentées dans ce livre et méditer un peu là-dessus.
Michelle Powers
May 27, 2011 Michelle Powers rated it really liked it
It was like an Eric Larson book, but about leadership! Ten strategies of effective leadership were outlined, examples from Shakleton were given, and then examples from today’s world. It really made the topic very interesting. I would recommend for anyone that needs a book on leadership but is scared they would find a book on the topic boring.
Zachary
Aug 15, 2010 Zachary rated it really liked it
Will always remember this: when the crew had to leave the ship and make a run for life across the Antarctic, Shackleton had the men leave their valuables behind; gold and trinkets would just be extra weight when fighting for life. However, he made sure that one man still brought his musical instrument so that they could sing together over the months of the trek.
Dena Rosko
Jul 18, 2011 Dena Rosko rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I appreciated the author's emphasis on taking risks, renewal/self-care, and persevering when it's hard to see progress on a plateau. Readable, includes stories of Shackleton's Antarctic expedition, and does go on a bit, but chapters are brief. Overall, an encouraging read.
David Eversole
Jul 25, 2013 David Eversole rated it liked it
This was a better and quicker read than I expected. The lessons were well tied to the stories of Shackleton's expedition and other 'Edge' stories. The stories were compelling and the illustrated well the principles that were described.
Peter Andrus
Jan 23, 2014 Peter Andrus rated it really liked it
The stories of Shackleton's expedition were amazing. I need to read more about it. I think the book should've been formatted to accommodate the story, instead of the other way around. Great leadership lessons from an amazing story of leadership.
Yeva
Mar 27, 2012 Yeva rated it really liked it
This book is organized really well and is truly interesting. I can't help but recommend it. I found so much that pertained to my work and to aspects of life in general. It is also well-written and that is something we don't always see these days.
Carrie
Sep 01, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it
Overall this book is great -- it has good practical leadership lessons built on top of interesting survival stories. I really wish the author hadn't kept capitalizing The Edge everywhere, though. It made me keep thinking of U2.
K
Aug 28, 2010 K rated it it was amazing
Using Shackleton's Antartic expedition as a foundation for teaching real-world leadership principles proved to be both a page-turning read and a practical knowledge goldmine.
Ckg
Oct 14, 2011 Ckg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a fantastic book that teaches while it entertains. I recommend it to every one I know because at some point every one is called on to lead.
Jason A.
Jason A. rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2008
Stephen Leonard
Stephen Leonard rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Nancy Wohlrab
Nancy Wohlrab rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Ibrahim Sofrata
Ibrahim Sofrata rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Paul Champion
Paul Champion rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Kyle
Kyle rated it did not like it
Nov 09, 2015
Ralph
Ralph rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2007
Elizabeth B.
Elizabeth B. rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Know Your Power: A Message to America's Daughters
  • UnSelling: The New Customer Experience
  • The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse
  • Ben Franklin: America's Original Entrepreneur, Franklin's Autobiography Adapted for Modern Times
  • Rescue Warriors: The U.S. Coast Guard, America's Forgotten Heroes
  • Leading So People Will Follow
  • The Living Company
  • Golf for Dummies
  • Intellectual Capital: The new wealth of organization
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • More than Coffee: The Secrets of Starbucks Success
  • Ice Cream Social: The Struggle for the Soul of Ben & Jerry's
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
4619534
DENNIS PERKINS is the author of Leading at The Edge and CEO of Syncretics Group, a consulting firm dedicated to helping leaders and teams thrive under conditions of adversity, uncertainty, and change. A graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, he successfully completed his first Sydney Hobart Race in 2006.
More about Dennis N.T. Perkins...