Leading at the Edge: Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Part adventure story, part leadership guide, this intriguing book examines Shackleton's legendary Antarctic expedition through the lens of business--to reveal a set of powerful strategies for corporate leaders.

In the chronicles of extraordinary adventures and against-the-odds survival, nothing compares to the story of Sir Ernest Shackleton and his team of South Pole explor...more
Published May 5th 2000 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published April 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Leading at the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading at the Edge

Sharon
I really liked this book because of the stories and examples that accompany the guiding principles. A lot of that might be my personal preference because I like context and stories, which is why I hated history class but like history shows on tv that tell peoples' stories. The principles aren't earth-shattering compared to other leadership books, but there are a few that have a different perspective like celebrating. The principles are also presented in a simple way and the stories/examples help...more
Keith
Based on Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition, I believe this book to be one of the best on leadership principles. The author Perkins lays down 10 principles Shackleton used to get everyone home safe, and applying them in the every day life examples. The distilled knowledge in this book I am still learning to appreciate. Anyone wanting to go into business should read this book.
Kevin
10 things that keep Shackleton and his crew alive while trapped in the ice. Think leading your team cohesively is tough, image doing it while nearly freezing to death.

I still take a look at the 10 rules and try and apply them.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Lecciones de liderazgo, de Dennis N. T. Perkins.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: liderazgo, características de un buen líder, analizar y tomar decisiones.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Lecciones de liderazgo, 10 estrategias para liderar al límite de la resistencia humana: Lecciones de liderazgo
David
This kept me engaged through the whole book. The chapters are essentially broken down into what happened during the course of the expedition and how those actions map into the author(s) leadership attributes. Each chapter ends with a case study of an influential person and how the Shackleton story has affected how they approach leadership. While some of the attributes are a little contrived (I can be somewhat cynical), I still think this is a worthwhile read. Shackleton was an rare person who wa...more
Patrick Matte
L'histoire de Shackleton est très intéressante et c'est une bonne idée d'en faire un exemple de leadership. Par contre, comme bien des livres de "self-help", on aurait pu couper le livre de moitié et passer le même message. Je vais me garder une copie des 10 leçons présentées dans ce livre et méditer un peu là-dessus.
Zachary
Will always remember this: when the crew had to leave the ship and make a run for life across the Antarctic, Shackleton had the men leave their valuables behind; gold and trinkets would just be extra weight when fighting for life. However, he made sure that one man still brought his musical instrument so that they could sing together over the months of the trek.
Jessica
This was another assigned reading for my Leadership class. I loved it! I'm a fan of survival stories and this was an amazing one! The fact that all of the crew survived the ordeal is a testament to Shackleton's leadership. This is the best leadership book that I've read so far! The contemporary examples of "leading at the edge" were good as well.
Michelle Powers
It was like an Eric Larson book, but about leadership! Ten strategies of effective leadership were outlined, examples from Shakleton were given, and then examples from today’s world. It really made the topic very interesting. I would recommend for anyone that needs a book on leadership but is scared they would find a book on the topic boring.
Dena Rosko
I appreciated the author's emphasis on taking risks, renewal/self-care, and persevering when it's hard to see progress on a plateau. Readable, includes stories of Shackleton's Antarctic expedition, and does go on a bit, but chapters are brief. Overall, an encouraging read.
Michael
Outstanding written book compare and contrast two different events with two different outcomes.
Peter Andrus
The stories of Shackleton's expedition were amazing. I need to read more about it. I think the book should've been formatted to accommodate the story, instead of the other way around. Great leadership lessons from an amazing story of leadership.
Yeva
This book is organized really well and is truly interesting. I can't help but recommend it. I found so much that pertained to my work and to aspects of life in general. It is also well-written and that is something we don't always see these days.
David Eversole
This was a better and quicker read than I expected. The lessons were well tied to the stories of Shackleton's expedition and other 'Edge' stories. The stories were compelling and the illustrated well the principles that were described.
Carrie
Overall this book is great -- it has good practical leadership lessons built on top of interesting survival stories. I really wish the author hadn't kept capitalizing The Edge everywhere, though. It made me keep thinking of U2.
K
Using Shackleton's Antartic expedition as a foundation for teaching real-world leadership principles proved to be both a page-turning read and a practical knowledge goldmine.
Ckg
This is a fantastic book that teaches while it entertains. I recommend it to every one I know because at some point every one is called on to lead.
Wai-kit Ng
Shackleton's story was great. Just that the insights drawn by the book was just so-so.
Nataliya Stelmakh
Statements are well supported with examples, a worthy reading!
Pratap
Pratap marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 09, 2014
Michael Schoeneis
Michael Schoeneis marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Dave Jacques
Dave Jacques marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Michael Ha
Michael Ha marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jason Kolar
Jason Kolar marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
4619534
DENNIS PERKINS is the author of Leading at The Edge and CEO of Syncretics Group, a consulting firm dedicated to helping leaders and teams thrive under conditions of adversity, uncertainty, and change. A graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, he successfully completed his first Sydney Hobart Race in 2006.
More about Dennis N.T. Perkins...
Into the Storm: Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race Managing Creation: The Challenge of Building a New Organization