Start by marking “Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)

Sons of the Oak (The Runelords #5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  2,168 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Certain works of fantasy are immediately recognizable as monuments, towering above the rest of the category. Authors of those works, such as Stephen R. Donaldson, Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind, come immediately to mind. Add to that list David Farland, whose epic fantasy series continues now.

The story picks up eight years after the events of Lair of Bones and begins a ne
Published November 14th 2006 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sons of the Oak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sons of the Oak

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
477th out of 2,258 books — 15,466 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Mormon Fantasy
98th out of 139 books — 292 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Schulzetenberg
David Farland continues his Runelords series, but introduces a new generation with new heroes, and new villains. Farland rushes to cut ties with the last book, killing off several familiar characters from the last series within the first 50 pages. He clearly wants us to realize that this is a new series.

So, this is a new series, but does it work? Mostly. There are a few familiar faces from the previous series who play large roles in the novel, but the cast of characters is mostly new. Our hero i
Boyd
This one was probably my least favorite book in the series. I just wasn't connecting with the new characters. and it was kind of like 'filler', waiting for something else to happen.
Angie
Apr 26, 2012 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers--this guy knows his craft
David Farland is a master at his craft. I have never read anything by any other author that is as effectively descriptive as this book. I read the first four books of the series a few years ago, and I distinctly remember feeling sick to my stomach quite a bit while reading. Part of it was the Runelords culture: weakening someone else to make someone stronger, killing the weaklings to make the Runelords weaker.

But it is Farland's use of words that makes me respond physically. His description of h
David Colpitts
An interesting read from David Farland. While not reaching the majesty of his previous four books he still manages to enthrall and entertain.

This novel finds us with the children of Gaborn, the Earth King, and the subsequent consequences of being his heirs. As well, Fallion, Gaborn's oldest son is an "old soul" one reborn thousands of times throughout history and his purpose for being reborn on this plane of existence.

Though I found the pacing to be a little odd in this novel and I found it dif
Dani
For some reason I almost see books of these types like cheating (and I’m also aware of what a hypocrite I will become when I finally pick up Brandon Sanderson’s new book The Alloy of Law, but it’s only because I love him most). The problem with a continuation of a series opting for the only change being new characters is that I always feel the author has become lazy. They no longer need to think up new concepts or conflicts, they can recycle what they’ve already written and twist it just enough ...more
Bookworm Smith
The fifth book of one of those long drawn out fantasy epics. Thousands and thousands of pages, filled with far flung mythical ideas to make the mind escape into another world...which I guess is the point of most fantasy books?

Luckily, I am into 'hardcore' fantasy. So, this book was a page turner for me.

You really need to read the first four books of the Runelords to get the full experience that is offered up in Sons of the Oak. If you recall, the previous books centred around a guy named Gabor
Garrett
It is always difficult to review a book that is middle in a long series. I obviously like the writing and world enough to keep going. But, I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't started the series yet. I also don't typically review the same things I do in other books (like Setting, Plot, Conflict, Characters, and Text). Instead, I focus on what keep me reading and what knocked me out of the story in general.

With book five in this series, Dave is actually starting a new set of a
Katrina
I am honestly quite shocked how much this book has drawn me into it. In the first hundred pages, it had me attached to characters...and then killed them off or holding my breath in suspense, thinking "Please don't kill them!" while reading to see what happened. My eyes have fogged with tears, and I've felt with the characters. There is a strange combination of limited narration with omniscient that works well.

I've been edging between giving this a 4 and a 5. THe first 200 pages flew by, I didn't
Jason
I hate to give bad reviews to books. Honestly this is one of the worst put together books I have read in a long long time. I read similar reviews before trying this one out and thought "Surely they jest." However that isn't the case. I have rarely ever put a book down and not finished it, this one almost made it. I think the saddest thing about this book is that it has such great and unique ideas to build from. Once of the most original magical systems in books in a long time, imho, is what the ...more
Johnny
Aside from the average writing, the mediocre characters and the unexceptional story present in all the books of the series, there was another issues with this book that made me wish the author had taken the time to study a little before getting published.

It is quite simple, really, something everyone knows, or should. I am talking about the point of view. Any author will tell you that is very important, how you present the story to the readers, through whose eyes. There was even this guide I rea
Kerry
I listened this book. As with Farland's other books, it is a loonnnggg book with some redundancy, but I love its originality which keeps me working through this series. Farland's detailed, repetitive descriptions can become fatiguing. His world-building is outstanding.

This book picked up after Gaborn's death and followed Fallon's young life. It introduced an old enemy in a new form. The use of magic was less prominent in this book when compared to the previous works in this series. I think this
Sara
The Sons of the Oak was an improvement, I think over the last few books. The first was the best by far, but still, I love this series as a whole. I was skeptical know that this book is all about the sons of Gaborn and he himself is passed. But I was pleased to find Fallion a likable character. It was a little creepy to see Myrrima and Borenson settle down on a farm... >.> But I guess they have to bow out somehow. Borenson hasn't any endowments now and Myrrima's not really so strong. I wond ...more
Kenneth Hayes Geary
OK this is where the series really picks up, not to knock the Earth King section of the series i enjoyed them. However if you are not into slow building of characters and plot you can just read the wikipedia pages for the first few books and pick up the series here. Farland does an amazing job of building a saga. He has seamlessly moved eight years forward from the previous trilogy of books and introduced us to the Heirs of the Earth King, goes deeper into his universe's history, and we finally ...more
Ben
A fun continuation of the Runelords series, this book feels more like "Part 1" of a new story arc (which, of course, it is) than a fully self-contained story. Still, it does a good job of introducing us to a new set of characters, problems, and ideas without suffering from Robert Jordan syndrome (i.e., everything is TWICE as dangerous as in the last book. Now everything is even MORE dire!) Worth the read if you've been keeping up with Farland's Runelords.
Lawrence Chang
The Earth King's last warning to his son Fallion:
"Learn to love the greedy as well as the generous . . . the poor as much as the rich . . . the evil . . . . Return a blessing for every blow. . . ." I'll never really be that kind and tolerant, but we all have to learn our lessons well. When we're getting old, you know the differences between good and evil seem to be blurred by our age. How noble it is to accept all!
J.A.
I was fortunate enough to sit between Brandon Sanderson and David Farland at an author signing in November 2006, just after this book was released. Farland said it was the first time he had seen it in its' finished form. I read the first four books in the series after that signing, and I'm just now returning to read the second set of four.

Farland is a facilitator when it comes to twisting the knife!
Aaron Anderson
This is the start of a second series in The Runelords. Like the first four I read, it wasn't bad, and wasn't amazing. They all probably deserve 3.5 stars, but goodreads doesn't let you do half-stars, so I've been giving them 4.

This one was actually shaping up slightly better than prior, but its end was so utterly abrupt and "the bad guys" seemed far too easy and simple to vanquish.
Divia
I'm a little more than halfway through and so far it seems okay. David Farland's writing seems to have improved since the first few Runelords book, but I still don't think the characters have much depth.

I'm finished now, and agree with what I said before. The book was entertaining enough to finish, but I won't be seeking out the next one in the series all that soon.
Michele
I didn't have high expectations for this book and was pleasantly surprised to find a fresh storyline with enough of a connection to the last book in the series to offer some continuity. I did feel like Farland's descriptions were much more gruesome in this book than they have been previously, so I couldn't in good conscience give 5 stars - but definitely a solid 4.
Phil
I think this series could have ended cleanly last book, but although this adds another tangent to the story line, it's still a great story. I'm pretty sure that I'll read anything with David Farland's name on it. Again, it's not the most cerebral writing, but it's easy to follow, easy to get into, creative and enthralling. What more could you ask for?
Tiffany Frey
I didn't think this was as good as the previous ones, not because of content but because it felt rushed. It felt as if there weren't enough details and the outline of the book was filled in with the bare minimum to get the book out. I think it should've been listed as a prequel to Worldbinder, which I am currently reading , and is much better, so far :)
Jesse
Sons of the Oak felt significantly slower than the previous Runelords books. I also had problems relating to and caring about the characters. Overall, a disappointment coming right after Lair of Bones. I'm thinking it might have been better to spin Fallion's story off as another series instead of a continuation.
Emily Karn
Oct 22, 2014 Emily Karn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Recommended to Emily by: bookstore clerk
Shelves: owned-books, fantasy
Wonderful new chapter in the Runelords Saga. A superb story with deeply empathetic characters.
Wm
Sep 29, 2008 Wm marked it as limbo
Perhaps I need a purgatory bookshelf. I read the first few pages, but then discovered that I wasn't really interested in this world anymore. The first two books in the Runelords series are fantastic. The second two were pretty good. And I have no desire to read what happens next.
Hanako
Aug 17, 2009 Hanako rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hanako by: Phillip
Shelves: 2009
i didn't like this one quite as much as the first four - perhaps because it's mostly different characters? but also somehow it felt like it was just told in broader strokes - or maybe i just read it faster.
Ginn
Gory but absolutely fascinating. At first I didn't want to read this because I thought it would be not as good as the others with Gaborn as the main male character but I was wrong. It was incredible.
Dee W.
The concept of magic in the earlier books set this book up to be heartbreaking. Everyone we know in love is dead, dying or shattered by the previous war. Yet, they tell a good story.
jane
I must have read this one, as it is a series I try to keep up with even though I don't like the idea of sacrificing some people to make other important people stronger.
William Campbell
One of the aspects of this series that loved was its attention to details and tight storyline. I was thoroughly disappointed with the departure this book led the series.
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Servant of the Dragon (Lord of the Isles, #3)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland...
The Sum of All Men (Runelords #1) Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2) Wizardborn (Runelords, #3) The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4) Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)