Start by marking “The Tempest for Kids” as Want to Read:
The Tempest for Kids

The Tempest for Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun!)

The Tempest is an exciting tale of jealousy and betrayal, magic and romance, repentance and forgiveness, and has all the elements necessary to ignite a young child's imagination and creative energy. By her use of rhyming couplets, Lois Burdett has once again succeeded in transforming Shakespeare's complex verse into a format readily understood by children.

Children's enthus
Published September 1st 1999 by Firefly Books

To ask other readers questions about The Tempest for Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tempest for Kids

Malea Potter
Jan 27, 2014 Malea Potter rated it liked it
Shelves: january
This is a good way to introduce kids to Shakespeare. I love that the illustrations of done by children and the book also includes parts of the play retold by children which are also very fun. However, I couldn't help wonder if the retold parts are completely in the words of the children or if they have been changed/edited a little bit. I just felt like some of the word choice was too mature or advance for kids of 8-10 years old. All in all though, it was a fun read. (Plus, I actually think it's ...more
Aug 12, 2013 Lorraine rated it really liked it
We read this aloud around the dinner table in preparation for Shakespeare in Clark Park. We had fun reading it, and it seriously enhanced my experience of watching the production. These books are great. We always read them before going to see a Shakespeare play. It really helps the kids take in so much more than if we'd just read a synopsis. (Umm, and I guess that goes for me, too.)
Mar 02, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folklore
As an adult, I love Shakespeare, but I was not a fan when I was a student. I think this is a great way to introduce the tempest along with others in the series. The story is identical to the play, but the pictures and little notes from other students allow it to be more easily relative to the student's lives. Not only do the pictures allow for relativity, but they are quite hilarious as well.
Jan 07, 2011 Charlene rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific series, written in verse with some of the more memorable lines from the original retained but mostly put into language easier for small people to follow. The illustrations are drawn by children and The Tempest included short notes from all the characters, also written by kids. It's a good way to introduce young readers to some classic tales, very fun for all ages.
Charles Perkins
Jan 31, 2014 Charles Perkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
Loved this book. The story of the tempest, but illustrated by children, and explained by children. Any teacher who seeks to expose their students to Shakespeare, must at some time use this book. Two thumbs up!
John Barbour
Jan 25, 2015 John Barbour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, fiction
Boy! I wish I knew about you and your work and books when I was teaching. Thanks for still inspiring us.
May 09, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
My daughter and I loved these books by Lois Burdett when she was younger. What a wonderful introduction to Shakespeare!
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
The Tempest for Kids
Burdett, Lois
children's drawings, reports, and letters explaining the plot retold by the author in a more modern langauge for the kids.
Karen Armstrong
Karen Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Rebekah rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Pamela rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
A rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Emma rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Emily Pambianchi
Emily Pambianchi rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Kaylee Carter
Kaylee Carter rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2015
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Clyde Burch
Clyde Burch rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Eric Black
Eric Black rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Kylie rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
BiblioBrandie rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2010
LaDonna rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Karen rated it it was ok
May 25, 2012
Alexandrea rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Kylie rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Sasha rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Elaine rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Tian rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2010
Denise rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Shakespeare Can Be Fun! (8 books)
  • A Child's Portrait of Shakespeare
  • Hamlet for Kids
  • Macbeth For Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun series)
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids