Start by marking “Dolores Meets Her Match” as Want to Read:
Dolores Meets Her Match

Dolores Meets Her Match

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Dolores is the cat expert, always bragging about her cat, Duncan. But when Hillary arrives on the scene, proud owner of Harold, a Siamese kitten from a family of prize-winning show cats who has seven different ways of saying meow, Dolores knows she's in trouble. How can Duncan compete? Even though her older sister, Faye, advises, "Just let Duncan be Duncan," Dolores is det ...more
Published September 18th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dolores Meets Her Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolores Meets Her Match

The Brothers
Jan 23, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Charming little story about how a cat-obsessed girl named Dolores gets competition in the classroom when a new kid shows up with a similar cat hyper-focus. Loved how the big sister kept telling Dolores to just "let Duncan [the cat] be Duncan." Good advice for us all when it comes to trying to change our friends and family to suit our needs.

Fun and cartoony illustrations.
Christie Lee
Jun 30, 2015 Christie Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: eled-413
This is a great book about acceptance, of yourself, of others and in this case of your pet. Dolores learns that just because her cat is not like the new girl's cat, it doesn't mean he isn't special in his own ways. A great book about friendship and the illustrations are fun and comical too.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
While I can see that the arrival of a new girl in the class who claims that her cat has all kinds of star qualities might arouse Dolores' jealous/rivalry, I think it far more likely that the two would become instant friends because of their mutual interest in cats. The whole story of how Duncan "saves" Hillary's cat Harold doesn't really make sense either. The whole plot seems weak to me. Only the ending makes sense! Disappointing.
Treasa
Jan 25, 2010 Treasa rated it liked it
Dolores has always been the cat expert in her class, but when Hillary shows up, this just might change. How can Dolores's fat and lazy cat, Duncan, possibly compete with Hillary's exquisite Siamese, Harold?

Good story about friendship and accepting people (or cats) for who they are.
Tricia
Apr 19, 2011 Tricia rated it it was ok
Dolores has competition for being a cat-know-it-all when Hillary arrives in town with her Siamese, Harold. Cute enough for early elementary with a clear message of accepting others as they are (in this case accepting that her cat Duncan would never be Harold).
Bethany
Feb 13, 2009 Bethany rated it liked it
nice story, humorous illustrations support the story line; good read aloud for older audience (ages 5-7); themes: pets cats, school, show-and-tell
Rachel
Oct 08, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a great book that teaches the reader to be happy about who you are, &, consequently, happy about who your pet is.
Judy
Jun 22, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Good book about jealousy resolution and compromise. I found this book to be very cute and very appropriate for 7-9 year olds.
The Library Lady
Nov 30, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Dolores, I love Duncan, and I love this latest book of their adventures!
Susan Erhardt
Dec 06, 2007 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
Funny! Shows that fancy and sophisticated isn't always better.
Gigi
Gigi rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
N Waters
N Waters rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
ForemanTeaches
ForemanTeaches marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Bookslut
Bookslut rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Alcey
Alcey rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2013
Mel-Mel
Mel-Mel rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Anusha
Anusha marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2013
Mturney1010
Mturney1010 rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2013
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012