Start by marking “Ice Story: Shackleton's Lost Expedition” as Want to Read:
Ice Story: Shackleton's Lost Expedition

Ice Story: Shackleton's Lost Expedition

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This dramatic, suspenseful narrative reads like an adventure story-but it is true. In 1914, Sir Ernest Shackleton and a twenty-seven-man crew set off on an expedition to reach and cross Antarctica. Just a month and a half into the voyage, their ship, the Endurance, was caught fast in heavy pack ice. The men had no radio contact, and no one knew where they were or even that ...more
Published February 16th 1999 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Ice Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Story

Sharon
May 03, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing
A strong 5! One of the most amazing stories I have ever read. I was touched through out the story with the incredible endurance and strength of Shackleton and his team of men. I would like to read Shackleton's own account of the experience as well as other crew members. A fabulous account attesting to true optimism, endurance and hope in the face of terrible circumstances. A very well written story also.
Evileye
Feb 15, 2016 Evileye rated it it was amazing
It was really interesting to learn more about the Shackleton Expedition. I first learned about Shackleton through the Cragbridge Hall series; I found the brief rebelling of his story very interesting and wanted to learn more, but didn't get around to it until my dad got the book from the library. This was a great read and I highly recommend it!
Stacy
May 15, 2014 Stacy rated it really liked it
I was listening to the audiobook Endurance, which is about Shackleton's expedition, when I stumbled across this at the library. The photographer in the crew was mentioned regularly and I wanted to see his photos so I checked out the book. While Endurance tells a better tale and gives a more thorough description of daily life, this book is excellent for a younger crowd or as a companion
Lisa
Sep 28, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
What an adventure. There were so many obstacles against Shackleton and his Antarctic journey, again and again, it is an absolutely amazing story (in only 120 pages, accompanied by actual photographs!).
Shackleton's ship, the Endurance, gets caught in a sea of ice as it freezes around the ship. They plan on waiting out the thaw, but the ice crushes and sinks the Endurance. They have no way to contact anyone or get any help. No one knows exactly where they are or that they are even in danger. They
Heidi
Aug 15, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
The strengths of this book are the readability of the text and the numerous photographs. The photographs really help the reader appreciate the pickle that Shackleton and his crew found themselves in. This is the book that I plan to share with my fifth graders, simply because it's so readable. I did notice that some of the things the author includes don't quite line up with other accounts. However most of these things are minor and the inconsistencies are to be expected based on the sources used. ...more
Terrance Zepke
Mar 29, 2016 Terrance Zepke rated it liked it
I'm an adventurer and I've been to Antarctica so I really enjoyed this book. Cannot believe the conditions in which they endured and the obstacles they overcame. Absolutely incredible true life story!
Cameron Stclair
Apr 17, 2014 Cameron Stclair rated it really liked it
A truly amazing insight of a long lost expedition
Alana
Mar 28, 2014 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
very interesting. loved the pictures.
Betty
Jun 30, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing
Having never before found anything the least bit interesting or intriguing about exploration, but having just read a couple of books about the siege of Leningrad, I found the human survival aspect a sort of magnet. After all, we could, any one of us, in a moment, be plunged into extreme, life-threatening circumstances. How would we react? Would we rise or fall to the challenge? Ice Story is the incredible account of an amazing man. It is a tribute to one who put his crew's safety above that of h ...more
Beth
I can't even imagine spending two years of your life attempting to explore Antarctica and then getting shipwrecked at the bottom of the world and living to tell the tale. Until you read the story of Ernest Shackleton and his crew's amazing feats of courage and survival, you will never fully appreciate how amazing it is that they lived to tell the tale.
Wesley Andrews
Nov 14, 2012 Wesley Andrews rated it it was amazing
An inspiring and haunting tale of Antarctic survival. This story is truly epic; a real-life Odyssey. It is well-written for adults and young adults. I was so moved by the heroic displays of courage, perseverance, hope, discipline, loyalty, hard labor, and mental strength. I highly recommend this telling which is easily read in a few short hours.

Samwise
Jan 23, 2014 Samwise rated it it was ok
While this story followed an interesting expedition, I found it hard to read. The way the author wrote the book made it hard to get through. I am not a huge fan of non fiction, but there are some books in that genre that are good. This was not one of them. I wish it had been slightly more concise, and shorter.
Sara
Aug 31, 2014 Sara added it
Shelves: paper
It's a fascinating story, and this is a quick read with lots of pictures
Barbara Maguire
Sep 17, 2010 Barbara Maguire rated it it was amazing
I used this book as a read-aloud with gifted primary children. The writing style was engaging and kept the interest of the children through every page. The photographs helped tell the story of Shackleton--and what a story it is!
Michelle Van Matre-Keis
Loved learning about this adventure....the writing was dry. Repetitious at points. They killed the last dog ...they killed the last dog. I think if the writing style would have been different, it could have been a five star.
Jrobertus
Jul 19, 2007 Jrobertus rated it liked it
another accounting of the amazing, but true story of the 1914 shackleton expedition to the antarctic, their entrapment in the ice and heroic escape to s. georgia. it is too amazing to be fiction.
Carli
Feb 04, 2010 Carli rated it really liked it
Teaching this book in my 7th grade classes
Shackleton's ill-fated expedition to Antarctica
especially love how it focuses on the providential events that led to their survival
Hannah
Aug 29, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, novel
This is a quick read of an amazing story. Very well written, fast paced and well worth the read. Full of pictures from the expedition. Check it out!
Julie
Sep 18, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
It's so cool to read an adventure story about heroes and have it be real. Also, good literary devices used in an info-text.
Kirk
Jun 04, 2012 Kirk rated it it was amazing
I've only heard about Shackleton, never read anything until now. An amazing story.
Natasha
Nov 20, 2010 Natasha rated it really liked it
got read to me for school. Pretty awesome.
Tracy
Sep 09, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Great Adventure book for middle school.
Najae
Dec 12, 2010 Najae added it
good good good i love it!
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Sandra Biermann
Sandra Biermann rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
David Josph
David Josph marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Brooke Keach
Brooke Keach marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016