Start by marking “The Collected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Collected Short Stories

The Collected Short Stories

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Jean Rhys was one of the twentieth century's foremost writers, a literary artist who made exqusite use of the raw material of her own often turbulent life to create fiction of memorable resonance and poignancy. Here for the first time in one volume are her complete stories.
Published June 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Short Stories

Joan Colby
What amazing stories, some of the best I have read. While her earliest pieces are simply vignettes, she exhibits an authority of voice that bodes well for her future as a writer; a future that is achieved especially with stories like Temps Perdi (my favorite), Let Them Call It Jazz, Till September, Petronella, Vienne, La Grosse Fifi and Pioneers, Oh Pioneers. Some of her best writing is centered in the West Indies which is also the setting for her masterpiece Wild Sargasso Sea.
There’s always something of the fallen woman about these tales, some being quite short but so skillfully sketched that they dwell in memory long after the last page is turned. The solitary woman remains alone, even when surrounded by others. When she has a companion she always seems along for the ride and not too invested in it. Her relationships with men are blasé, her observations of other women competitive more often than not, only adding to persistent loneliness.

The stories are arranged chr
Jan 23, 2008 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Corinne
Recommended to Kathryn by: Memory
Jean Rhys is a quiet force and I had forgotten all about her until I walked into the Oakland Public Library's Lake Merritt branch the other day and there she was. She had a long, not necessarily happy life; died in her eighties in the Left Bank. It's really fascinating to watch her prose evolve across this book--in some ways, it's like watching the structure of the short story become itself.

She is a gifted, gifted descriptor. Reading her sketches of cafes in Paris late at night is like seeing th
I love a good story of a depressed woman a city with no options. This is why Mary Gaitskill is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Jean Rhys is like her godmother.

Every day that you read Rhys, you should listen to "LA Woman" by the Doors and when it's time, sing out "I never met a woman....SO ALONE!!! SO ALOOOONE!"

Jeff Hoiland
I just opened this book randomly and read 'hunger' and was astonished
Feb 02, 2014 Velma marked it as tbr-recommended
Shelves: short-stories
Recommended by Joanna Walsh for #readwomen2014:
Natalie sagadevan
I love her stuff. If you are a fan of short stories this is great to keep on the night stand for a quick read before bed. Always makes me feel like I have completed something maybe because it never happens in my every day life.
Aurora Deshauteurs
It is fascinating to read writing from during and after the Second World War. Some stories were better than others were. The collection spans several years, so it presents a glimpse at her development as an author.
jean rhys is the shit. her stories run the gamut from short and odd to long and devastating.
descriptive, atmospheric, darkly skewed stories. delightful discovery in mastery of the genre.
Colby marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Randi marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Ania Ruda
Ania Ruda marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Schinzepa marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Sirenstone marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Henrique Romoff
Henrique Romoff is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2015
Rachel Buckmaster
Rachel Buckmaster marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Anna Lomakina
Anna Lomakina marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Tasha marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Daniela_x marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jamison marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Deborah marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Emmanuelle Maupassant
Emmanuelle Maupassant marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
lola Franco
lola Franco marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Joanne added it
Sep 21, 2015
  • The Selected Stories of Patricia Highsmith
  • Dorothy Dandridge
  • The Lonely Hunter: A Biography of Carson McCullers
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • Original Bliss
  • Her First American
  • Letters to Montgomery Clift
  • Trance: A Novel
  • Lola, California
Jean Rhys originally Ella Gwendolen Rees Williams, was a Caribbean novelist who wrote in the mid 20th century. Her first four novels were published during the 1920s and 1930s, but it was not until the publication of Wide Sargasso Sea in 1966 that she emerged as a significant literary figure. A "prequel" to Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea won a prestigious WH Smith Literary Award in ...more
More about Jean Rhys...