Start by marking “The Collected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Collected Short Stories

The Collected Short Stories

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Jean Rhys was one of the twentieth century's foremost writers, a literary artist who made exqusite use of the raw material of her own often turbulent life to create fiction of memorable resonance and poignancy. Here for the first time in one volume are her complete stories.
Published June 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Short Stories

Joan Colby
Aug 27, 2011 Joan Colby rated it it was amazing
What amazing stories, some of the best I have read. While her earliest pieces are simply vignettes, she exhibits an authority of voice that bodes well for her future as a writer; a future that is achieved especially with stories like Temps Perdi (my favorite), Let Them Call It Jazz, Till September, Petronella, Vienne, La Grosse Fifi and Pioneers, Oh Pioneers. Some of her best writing is centered in the West Indies which is also the setting for her masterpiece Wild Sargasso Sea.
Sharon
Feb 12, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
There’s always something of the fallen woman about these tales, some being quite short but so skillfully sketched that they dwell in memory long after the last page is turned. The solitary woman remains alone, even when surrounded by others. When she has a companion she always seems along for the ride and not too invested in it. Her relationships with men are blasé, her observations of other women competitive more often than not, only adding to persistent loneliness.

The stories are arranged chr
Kathryn
Jan 23, 2008 Kathryn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Corinne
Recommended to Kathryn by: Memory
Jean Rhys is a quiet force and I had forgotten all about her until I walked into the Oakland Public Library's Lake Merritt branch the other day and there she was. She had a long, not necessarily happy life; died in her eighties in the Left Bank. It's really fascinating to watch her prose evolve across this book--in some ways, it's like watching the structure of the short story become itself.

She is a gifted, gifted descriptor. Reading her sketches of cafes in Paris late at night is like seeing th
Keili Rae
Mar 30, 2016 Keili Rae rated it it was amazing
Some of these stories blew me away: I think Til September, Petronella is one of the best short stories I've ever read anywhere. A lot of them were very interesting snapshots of Paris in the twenties and thirties, and if you're into The Lost Generation, you'll really appreciate Rhys' (often overlooked!) perspective. I'm not sure that readers who aren't already a little in love with Rhys and her woman because of Good Morning, Midnight and Wide Sargasso Sea will want to read this collection cover t ...more
Susanna
Jan 30, 2014 Susanna rated it really liked it
I love a good story of a depressed woman a city with no options. This is why Mary Gaitskill is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Jean Rhys is like her godmother.

Every day that you read Rhys, you should listen to "LA Woman" by the Doors and when it's time, sing out "I never met a woman....SO ALONE!!! SO ALOOOONE!"

Stefania
Apr 07, 2009 Stefania rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
descriptive, atmospheric, darkly skewed stories. delightful discovery in mastery of the genre.
Jeff Hoiland
Jul 05, 2014 Jeff Hoiland rated it it was amazing
I just opened this book randomly and read 'hunger' and was astonished
Velma
Feb 02, 2014 Velma marked it as tbr-recommended
Shelves: short-stories
Recommended by Joanna Walsh for #readwomen2014: http://booksbywomen.org/readwomen2014...
Natalie sagadevan
Jan 14, 2008 Natalie sagadevan rated it it was amazing
I love her stuff. If you are a fan of short stories this is great to keep on the night stand for a quick read before bed. Always makes me feel like I have completed something maybe because it never happens in my every day life.
Aurora Deshauteurs
Jul 12, 2010 Aurora Deshauteurs rated it liked it
It is fascinating to read writing from during and after the Second World War. Some stories were better than others were. The collection spans several years, so it presents a glimpse at her development as an author.
Kaeleigh Forsyth
Jun 23, 2014 Kaeleigh Forsyth rated it it was amazing
mmhmmmmm
Gina
Dec 05, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing
jean rhys is the shit. her stories run the gamut from short and odd to long and devastating.
Claire Hirashiki
Claire Hirashiki marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Emily Quane
Emily Quane marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Amanda Veazey
Amanda Veazey rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Lisa Phi
Lisa Phi marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Rwb8765
Rwb8765 marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Lucille
Lucille marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Thehangover
Thehangover marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Hanka Šmídová
Hanka Šmídová rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
JimZ
JimZ rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Iti Libe
Iti Libe marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jean Rhys Reading...: Short Stories 1 3 Jul 21, 2016 06:11AM
  • The Selected Stories of Patricia Highsmith
  • Dorothy Dandridge
  • Original Bliss
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • The Lonely Hunter: A Biography of Carson McCullers
  • The Portable Faulkner
  • The Rise of Life on Earth
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • Painted Shadow: The Life of Vivienne Eliot, First Wife of T. S. Eliot
  • Trance
  • October Suite
  • Lithium for Medea
  • Madame de Treymes and Three Novellas
Jean Rhys originally Ella Gwendolen Rees Williams, was a Caribbean novelist who wrote in the mid 20th century. Her first four novels were published during the 1920s and 1930s, but it was not until the publication of Wide Sargasso Sea in 1966 that she emerged as a significant literary figure. A "prequel" to Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea won a prestigious WH Smith Literary Award in ...more
More about Jean Rhys...