Start by marking “Deathworld Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Deathworld Trilogy

Deathworld Trilogy (Deathworld #1-3)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,675 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
A legendary science fiction story, this trilogy, brought back into print in one single volume, presents hero Jason dinAlt as he discovers three separate planets. dinAlt finds excitement and intrigue as he investigates Pyrrus, a strange place where all the beasts, plants, and natural elements are out to destroy man; the unknown second planet, where every man has to kill oth ...more
Published May 15th 1984 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Deathworld Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathworld Trilogy

Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Stainless Steel Rat for President by Harry HarrisonA Stainless Steel Rat is Born by Harry HarrisonThe Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted by Harry HarrisonThe Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge by Harry Harrison
Harry Harrison 1925-2012
13th out of 54 books — 9 voters
Conan of Cimmeria by Robert E. HowardDiaries of a College Girl by Ava KensingtonDeathworld Trilogy by Harry HarrisonMidworld by Alan Dean FosterBright Orange for the Shroud by John D. MacDonald
Best Book of the Moment
3rd out of 12 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

John Kirk
As the name suggests, this collects three books together, imaginatively titled "Deathworld 1", "Deathworld 2", and (wait for it) "Deathworld 3". Based on the introduction, "Deathworld 1" may have been Harrison's first published work; there are certainly themes that he went on to develop more in his other novels. For instance, the concept of someone tech-savvy being dumped on a planet where they've forgotten how to use most technology came up in a few of the Stainless Steel Rat books, and "Jason ...more
F.P.
Jun 13, 2015 F.P. added it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was my first attempt at reading anything from Harrison, and I absolutely LOVE his clear writing style. But I absolutely hate most of his content here.

I almost never judge book insides by their covers or titles, so I figured I'll try this one, especially because I loved the casino-stuff in the beginning. But there is wall-to-wall barbarism and cruelty farther in.

The read first started going to shit for me when it turned into a stereotypical patriarchal fantasy over a nineteen-year old who
Charles Dee Mitchell
Apr 29, 2012 Charles Dee Mitchell rated it it was ok
Shelves: mid-century-sf
I have not chosen well when it comes to my reading of the Grand Masters of Science Fiction. I have searched out early honorees by whom I had previously neither read nor been inclined to read anything. BIg surprise. I haven't much liked anything I've come across. Some of it I have admired and found historically interesting, but nothing have I been crazy about,

And now I've done it again with Harry Harrison. Years of working with used books made me familiar with Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat serie
Marsha
“The Deathworld Trilogy” is old-school sci-fi writing, with plenty of action, derring-do, hard science and hardscrabble living on alien worlds. However, it also features an engaging anti-hero, the gambling, conniving, fast-talking, war-starting, gun-toting Jason dinAlt, a man whose morals shift with every new planet he encounters.

Jason is a realist and pragmatist, a man blessed with infinite reserves of strength, stamina, cunning, intelligence and sheer luck. He manages to pull success from alm
Samuel Lubell
Mar 05, 2015 Samuel Lubell rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, paperback
The first book is really good classic sf. A gambler is coerced into helping a planet that needs weapons. He goes and visits it, discovering that all the life forms have become hostile to humans yet some humans are able to live outside the highly defended city. The second and third books are not as good. In the second, Jason is kidnapped and becomes a slave on a primitive planet, where different tribes keep different aspects of technology as tribal secrets. Naturally Jason is able to reinvent the ...more
419tjhamilton
Jul 08, 2009 419tjhamilton rated it it was ok
Fun when you're young. Probably does not stand up well if you read it as an adult.
April
Jan 20, 2011 April rated it liked it
The Deathworld Trilogy
Harry Harrison
Berkley Publishing Corporation
1976 (original copyright - 1960, 1964, 1968)

Deathworld
In this first book, Jason, a gambler with a psi advantage is pulled into a plot to raise funds for a mysterious individual and the planet he represents. Eventually Jason ends up on this planet, the most dangerous planet in the galaxy.

Jason, as a character suffers from being better and smarter than everyone else, and he can be rather smug about it. The other characters are rath
Matt Dalzell
Apr 16, 2015 Matt Dalzell rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty solid old school sci-fi if you are looking for a light read. I really dug some of the more hippie-ish overtones that you don't always see in sci-fi (care for the environment, pitfalls of closed source technology).

There are big plot-holes and unanswered questions throughout the three novels, but if you're worried about those you're probably thinking to much. Just sit back and enjoy your anti-hero getting out of increasingly improbable situations.
Dale Renton
Deathworld was written in 1960 and - like myself - is showing its age a little. But not too much to discourage you from reading what is a bit of a SF classic. There are "future-tech" references to tapes and wires where we digital age people already consider such technologies as borderline archaic. There are explicit and implied social values reflective of an age where the role of women, in particular, was somewhat more passive and restricted than now. The protagonist, Jason Dinalt, is a little o ...more
Karina
Finished the first two and currently onto the third. I found it a bit disconcerting that though the title of the second book in the series is "Deathworld 2" it deals with a different planet... And the fact that the protagonist suddenly obtained additional skills not mentioned in the first. In the first book he has the psi ability (used to control objects, read the moods, command animals) and he's a successful gambler. In the second book suddenly he's a technician, he knows a whole bunch about ch ...more
Elena
Jun 03, 2016 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
В книге три романа - Неукротимая планета, Специалист по этике, Мир смерти, а также рассказ Линкор в нафталине. Бодрая такая крепкая сай-фай. Главный герой - хитрый, умный, прагматичный и зовется Язоном, что должно начитанным людям намекать. В целом отличный сборник, и не зря на обложке вынесен теглайн "заезды мировой фантастики".
Raja99
See my reviews for the individual novels: Deathworld 1 , Deathworld 2 , and Deathworld 3 . I actually re-read these novels with short breaks between them, and I read them from the recent Benbella hardcover, which includes "The Mothballed Spaceship", a Deathworld short story that Harrison wrote as a memorial to John Campbell, Jr. when Campbell died. (One of my good friends gave me this older edition after he got the Benbella hardcover.)
Reagan
Aug 10, 2014 Reagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the reasons Harry Harrison is one of my top three favorite science fiction authors. I have read this book at least three times, that I can recall. Each time, I'm amazed at how absorbing it is. Some day, I'll expand this review....
Doug Dandridge
Jun 24, 2012 Doug Dandridge rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of Harrison
Kind of an anachronism, but still good.
The Deathworld trilogy is three novels/novelettes in one. The stories
revolve around a group of people who colonize a world that really doesn't
want them there. Everything that creeps, crawls or flies attacks the
colonists with tooth, claw and stinger. Even some plants get in on the
act. An outsider is brought in who determines what the problem is, and
gives them a temporary solution. The others stories are about the efforts
of the colonists, who are all st
Erik Graff
Apr 28, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harrison fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I started reading the Deathworld books as a little kid, picking up the original novel at Knack's Drugstore in Bridgman, Michigan while still in elementary school. By my immature standards it was very sexy and the violence exciting, so I picked up the second one when it became available as well. By 1968, when the three were bound in one hardcover available through The Science Fiction Bookclub, I ordered it and read the last of the three volumes, no longer anywhere near as impressed as I was previ ...more
Melyfong
Feb 24, 2014 Melyfong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty upset that this is the "Deathworld Trilogy" but when you click the read now button all you actually get to read is the first book. It says it's the trilogy, but it only gives you deathworld. I'm so disappointed. :[
Shari Scott
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book; didn't like the second one much; the third one was okay. I found the unique qualities of the first book were totally lost in the second and third, and I don't understand why he went so far afield from a winning combination of character, plot, and suspense. Too bad.
ScoLgo
A fast-paced, entertaining read. Although there are plot-holes you could navigate a spaceship through, I still found this to be a pleasant way to pass some reading hours.
Adam
Jun 10, 2013 Adam rated it liked it
Finished this a while ago, just catching up.

Any one of these novellas deserves a higher rating than three stars. They are excellent, classic science fiction. However, there is both painful repetition (philosophical themes) and a lack of continuity in some character attributes. Trying not to get into spoiler territory here.

Each of the novellas has its own attributes that makes it interesting and fun despite these complaints, and they all have a place in science fiction history. So, despite the lu
Steven Schreier
May 04, 2014 Steven Schreier rated it liked it
Not the best of Harry's work but enjoyable none the less.
Stas
Jun 21, 2010 Stas rated it it was ok
In the interest of fairness and semi- i mean self- transparency, I must and I do confess that before I retourned to reading serious fikshan, such as Middlemarch, I fell from grace almost completely, and wallowed in trash:
three novels by Harry Harrison. I still love the first one, having read it probably every few months all through my very young teen years. No 2 and 3 kinda suck. I can only imagine how terrible are the later sequels, the ones he wrote just for the Russian market. (I'm not kiddin
Connor
Apr 30, 2014 Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book and favorite character is rhes
Katrina Mosler
Jun 29, 2014 Katrina Mosler rated it really liked it
Easy, fun reading
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Lots of fun & adventure, this contains 3 adventures of Jason, a gambler with a touch of psi ability that makes him a very comfortable living at the craps table. In the first story, he meets up with the Pyrann's, humans from possibly the most dangerous planet in the explored universe. In the second, he is kidnapped & winds up playing something similar to the Connecticut Yankee. In the third, he works on a new home for the Pyranns. It's funny, somewhat educational & always interesting.
Serdar
Jan 18, 2012 Serdar rated it really liked it
Was turned on to this through a friend in high school -- kind of a grittier take on the same turf trod by Harrison in "The Stainless Steel Rat" (which is superb). First book is the best; second is more like Robinson Crusoe in space; third is a reworking of the Genghis Khan story. All are buoyed up by the hero's acid humor and some clever situations. First installment also deserves to be filmed, although I wonder if at this point people would make unfair comparisons to "Avatar". Sigh.
Michael
Dec 13, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
A great read by one of the classic writers of science fiction. I read Deathworld many years ago as a teenager. I had never read Deathworld 2 and 3 until now. I bought this book at a used bookstore and I am glad I did. Some of the older science fiction from the 60's and before is pretty dated but except for a couple of small things these books have withstood the test of time. I recommend these books to anyone who enjoys Space Opera, action, or military type science fiction.
Writtenwyrdd
Jan 20, 2010 Writtenwyrdd rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Just got a copy of the science fiction book club copy of this trilogy. I used to own a copy back when, haven't read it but the one time in the 70s, and so (like many books I used to own) I've just bought a copy to replace the long-lost one in my library. I'll report back in when I finally get to rereading it. I'm sure it'll be somewhat dated, but I recall it as a fun read.

J.
The first book is a fantastic (and fantastically silly) sci-fi adventure. It's pulpy and ridiculous and fun. The second book is a terribly-written polemic defending a ridiculous position. It's full of straw men and boring discussions. It's barely a novel. The third book is totally ok all the way around. I would recommend just reading the first one.
Andreas
Apr 28, 2008 Andreas rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die-hard sf readers or if you study the Golden Age for historical reasons
Shelves: science-fiction
The first part of the trilogy was okay. Nothing outstanding but a solid adventure. The second part I liked much less. It's something I would have enjoyed in my youth but not anymore. The last part I didn't finish at all. It's a typical pulp SF book that has nothing to offer but dusty entertainment. Skip it.
Kerry
Feb 20, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book that I read when I started keeping my second book list in April of 1975. The one I read was the Science Fiction Book Club printing of the original hardcover from 1968. Since it is now 2010, I remember liking the three books (Deathworld, Deathworld 2, and Deathworld 3) but that is about all.
  • Planet of Adventure (Planet of Adventure, #1-4)
  • Brain Twister
  • Midworld (Humanx Commonwealth, #4)
  • Stories from The Hugo Winners 1962-1967
  • The Planet Buyer
  • Wine of the Dreamers
  • Starwolf
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • Tower of Glass
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • Davy
  • Satan's World
  • The Whole Man
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • Llana of Gathol (Barsoom, #10)
  • The Dream Master
  • Search the Sky

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Deathworld (3 books)