Fuzzies and Other People (Fuzzy Sapiens, #3)

Fuzzies and Other People (Fuzzy Sapiens #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Cover art by Michael Whelan
Published November 15th 1986 by Ace (first published August 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Fuzzies and Other People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fuzzies and Other People

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCrime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyHamlet by William Shakespeare
Project Gutenberg
106th out of 131 books — 59 voters
Culloo by Murielle CyrNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillCatori's Worlds by Murielle CyrPhantom Bigfoot & The Vampettes From Venus by Simon OkillPhantom Bigfoot Strikes Again by Simon Okill
Trees, Woods, Forests
111th out of 201 books — 129 voters

More lists with this book...

John
If one reads this story on any level other than shallow, one will find several problems. The characters smoke like fiends, they drink to excess, they pass off bad habits to the aboriginal Fuzzies (including smoking and drinking), and the story comes close to advocating enslavement of a sapient species, even if it is in a gilded cage. If, however, one tosses off all care for moral considerations, this story is nothing but pure fun. All of our favorites in this series is here. Pappy Jack Holloway,...more
Rafe
Forgot to add this to my shelf. I finally read up on Piper after finishing his trilogy and the real tragedy is that he committed suicide the year the second book (Fuzzy Sapiens) was published. Fuzzies and Other People was found in his basement years after his death. The tragedy (beyond the suicide) is that he never lived to see his best book published. Maybe it's reading all three books in order, but I felt like Fuzzies and Other People finally gave me an emotional connection to the characters t...more
Bryan
A very satisfying capstone to a classic SF franchise. And to think it almost wasn't published at all - finding this manuscript in a trunk years after Piper's death certainly adds to the mystique. (Unfortunately a little polishing might have been advisable had Piper submitted this while still alive.)

One reason I liked this book so much was that it redeemed the series from many of the complaints I had while reading the 2nd volume (Fuzzy Sapiens). For once, Piper really focuses on what a fuzzy can...more
Cheryl in CC NV
I'm going to bump this series up to five stars. The sum really is more than the whole of its parts. Marvelous exploration of race, intelligence, loyalty, love, honor, friendship....
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is the third of the Fuzzy books that feature among the most memorable aliens in science fiction. Mind you, they're so cute as to induce sugar shock. Creatures "two feet tall, with wide-eyed... face... covered with soft golden fur," playful, sane, sweet and emotionally and intellectually about ten years old. The first book dealt with some sophisticated concepts. The "Fuzzies" are on a planet colonized by humans and largely owned and ruled by a corporation under a charter only valid if there...more
Teressa Morris
After H. Beam Piper committed suicide in 1964, two more Fuzzy books were produced by other writers. I don’t count those as part of the Fuzzy mythos, especially since they don’t mesh with this most recent book.

Fuzzies and Other People picks up where Fuzzy Sapiens left off. Hugo Ingermann’s crew is on trial for enslaving Fuzzies and forcing then to steal sunstones from the company vaults. But Ingermann has a trick up his sleeve. He intends to claim the Fuzzies were willing accomplices to the crime...more
J
Feb 07, 2008 J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
The third volume in Piper’s Fuzzy series, Fuzzies And Other People was prepared from a rough manuscript and published twenty years after Fuzzy Sapiens. I feel for the folks who had to wait that long. Lucky me, I didn’t read these books until the late 80’s and got to read them in order right away! This book provides a far more unified, appropriate third volume than William Tuning’s Fuzzy Bones, the book originally released as the third Fuzzy volume. While that book was good and introduced some i...more
Mdague
Love the series
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I hate to say it, but I was disappointed by this book. There was a lot of stuff, but the situation was basically the same as it was at the end of Fuzzy Sapiens. If you're a trial lawyer some of the shenanigans in that area might amuse you. But I would hesitate to recommend this to anyone but people looking to scratch their Piper or Fuzzies completionist itch.
Robert
Piper's politics and cultural comprehension is primitive, but this is still a pretty good story. The parts I liked the best were when the fuzzies were on their own. The whole fuzzies as children thing reminded me too much of the condescending attitudes of colonialists towards natives, which is exactly what it is in this case. I kept waiting for a plot twist that recognized this, but Piper seems to have been too confined by his prejudices.
Kat Klein
This book came out about 10 years after I read the first books in the series. It didn't disappoint at all! It was such a satisfying conclusion to the Fuzzy series. Not that I was unhappy with the series without the third book, but this one tied up the niggling little loose ends, and gave me more time with and perspective from the Fuzzies. If you've read and enjoyeed the first two, I would recommend this one very strongly.

Mickey Schulz
The long lost 3rd Fuzzy book was not published until the 80s. By the time this book was published, Ace had contracted William Tuning to write Fuzzy Bones and Ardath Mayhar to write Golden Dreams. This book definitely feels not quite finished, or edited. I think Piper probably would have fine-tuned it a but more before publishing it, had he lived.
Marie
Mary Catelli
The third and last of these little classics -- the posthumously published one. questions about the legal status of arrangements made to protect the Fuzzies, whether they are legal minors, and whether they can testify. A sequence of Fuzzies still living in the wild. A question of fire.
Marilyn
The manuscript for this book was found after the author's untimely demise, which makes is all the more interesting. Well, not the storyline, but the book's background.

The names of these books alone should prompt people to want to read them, as hard as they are to get through.
julia
I loved this one just like I loved the two previous books. It was nice to get part of the book from Little Fuzzy's point of view, and to see how the humans were reacting to having Fuzzies on the planet.
Theresa
the first cognizant integration of man and an alien spices is not what is to be expected when greed and power are confronted with a small remunerative alien spices that needs to be protected.
Baal Of
Rating this a 3 from memory. I read this in high school, and I'm pretty sure I liked it then. I suspect that I would not enjoy it very much if I were to read it now.
Keith Jones
Published posthumously, if memory serves. Suffers a bit because of it. Needed work. Still good. Worth reading.
Andrew O
This story was OK, more of a kids story than anything else.
Callen
Adorable story. Last book in my new favorite series!
Joseph
Damn good book. Where can I adopt my own Fuzzy?
Stephanie
Still loving the Fuzzies!
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • The Anything Box
  • Fortune's Wheel (Sholan Alliance, #2)
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • Catseye
  • Hestia
  • Nor Crystal Tears (Humanx Commonwealth, #9)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • King David's Spaceship
  • Wizards Eleven (Land of the True Game, #3)
  • Earthclan
  • The Killing Machine (Demon Princes, #2)
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • Fool's Run
Henry Beam Piper was an American science fiction author. He wrote many short stories and several novels. He is best known for his extensive Terro-Human Future History series of stories and a shorter series of "Paratime" alternate history tales.
More about H. Beam Piper...
Little Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1) The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-2) Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2) Space Viking Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen (Paratime Police)

“I like it where it gets dark at night, and if you want noise, you have to make it yourself.” 24 likes