Start by marking “Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)

Windchaser (Dinotopia #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  4,129 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A storm at sea washes a young pickpocket, Hugh, and a surgeon's son, Raymond, overboard.Landing on the strange island world of Dinotopia, Raymond and Hugh learn the meaning of real courage and true friendship, with the help of a reclusive Skybax named Windchaser. ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Windchaser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windchaser

This did not read like a juvenile book to me. It feels more advanced than that. The plot was intricate and the characters highly developed. And since I have read the world-building original Dinotopia by James Gurney, I was able to enter this story with no difficulty.

Hugh was my favorite character. It was interesting to watch him struggle to fit into this true utopian society with his background and wall of distrust. It reminded me greatly of another book I read that dealt with the concept of a n
I remember really enjoying this book when I first read it, about the time that it first came out. It was mostly because of this book that I recommended the Dinotopia series as books for emerging readers.

As I read it out-loud to my sons at bed-time, I felt it lost some of the magic that I had initially felt, and I was even surprised at the apparent lack of dinosaurs included. However, my eldest son thought the book was "awesome" and wants me to read all the books in the series to him, so perhaps
Travis Mueller
This series is relatively easy reading, but I love it!
My favorite part in this book was the "not bloke. Triceratops." line.
Neat story, short enough to read in two hours or less. Yes, it's a kid's book, but the language, thought processes, and characters are developed enough that it could be enjoyed by an adult (like me). That bit about Daniel saddened me, though. Now I just have to read the novels! They're probably loads more detailed and dramatic. But I'll keep reading this series, too.
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

Plot summary:
Raymond and Hugh, a young street thief, are shipwrecked on Dinotopia Island, where humans and dinosaurs live in idyllic harmony. Raymond adjusts quickly, but Hugh's hard life has not prepared him for this peaceful communal existence. His feelings of inadequacy are echoed in Windchaser, a reclusive Skybax, and he resolves to communicate with the outcast creature.

Raymond - 13 years old

Key phrases/issues: utopia/dystopia, friendship,

Other boo

The illustrations and world building alone mean that this series is a delight for children. Fulfilling many a child's dreams.
My 10 year old son (who doesn't like to read very much) loves this series. Now it is all he wants to read.
Found myself crying several times. I was not expecting this story to pull on my heart-strings.
raymond wilks loses his father when during a storm some prisoners on a prison ship rebel and take over the ship. he is rescued by a prisoner named hugh O Donavan and two dolphins thay land on dinatopia a wordeful place where humans and dinasours live in peace raymond meets a wounded sky bask named wind chaser amd is sent to sky bask training camp. raymond finds where wind chaser lives. then windchaser leaves his home and ray mond and hugh go to find him ray mond ends up geting hurt and hugh and ...more
One of my absolute favourite books when I was younger.
King Haddock
The first book of the children's series is definitely the best, probably due to the fact readers of yet know nothing of Dinotopia (assuming they are reading chronologically). The world seems wonderful and unique. The character seeking to remain a thief and think in a material world really brings perspective to the land. Only following this book does Dinotopia become boring and monotonous due to its peaceful nature - there is only so much one can do in a society that is "perfect."
Denae Christine
A simplistic book with impossible culture and amazing creatures. The internal conflict was done really well, but the overall setting felt too foreign to me. I think it is just that I have never connected with dinosaurs.
Dragons are better.
Even with that sentiment clouding my judgment, it was still a good book for the younger crowd. 8-12.
Brandon McDaniel
It is a good book, especially for younger readers. However, the Dinotopia series books are brief which leaves much to be desired in the way of details and thick plots. In other words, I recommend the books as a light, fun read, but it definitely doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the plot and connections.
I really liked it. Of course it's not the same wonderful, amazing, breathtaking awesomness as the original books by James Gurney, but as a secondary novel, it's good. Plus it dives into more of a story about the Skybaxes, which is great.
I read through this series of books on dinotopia as an interest in a lesson plan extension for higher elementary school grades, this was expanding the thematic unit i created for kindergarten...
The first and the best of the Dinotopia kids series. I read this as a dinosaur-obsessed child so many times the spine of my copy is cracked right down the middle.
My rating is largely based on how I felt about this book as a kid. It has to do with flying and back then, all I ever wanted to do was fly.
Annemarie Metcalf
I've always wanted to ride on a skybax after reading this book.. probably the closest I've come is the flying sequences in Avatar!
A wonderful, fantastic series. The authors do a good job to keep their writing and voice congruous throughout the various books.
I read this book years ago. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade.

I don't remember much about it other than I loved it.
This was one of the books that defined my childhood, and one of the best Dinotopia spin-off books. It's quite lovely.
The first in the children's series and a very good place to start. Interesting and a good read.
Reminiscent of the Dinotopia movie, yet set several hundred years prior.
Dan Du
A beutiful and mixed world of concepts with dinosaurs and drama
This book is perfect book about imagination .
I'm just a sucker for fun books!
it was my favorite dinotopia book.
One of my Traveling Books.
Order of the books 3 17 Jun 07, 2009 03:03PM
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)
  • A Redwall Winter's Tale
  • The World of the "Dark Crystal"
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • J.W. Waterhouse
  • Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2)
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You
  • Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction
  • Juliet Dove, Queen of Love (Magic Shop, #5)
  • Unexpected Journeys: The Art and Life of Remedios Varo
  • Amano: The Complete Prints
Scott Ciencin was a New York Times best-selling novelist of 90+ books. He wrote adult and children's fiction and worked in a variety of mediums including comic books. He created programs for Scholastic Books, designed trading cards, consulted on video games, directed and produced audio programs & TV commercials, and wrote in the medical field about neurosurgery and neurology. He first worked i ...more
More about Scott Ciencin...

Dinotopia (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Thunder Falls (Dinotopia, #6)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)
Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1) Tantras (Forgotten Relalms: Avatar #2) The Night Parade (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #4) Sweet Sixteen (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #6) Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)