Start by marking “Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)

Windchaser (Dinotopia #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,513 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A storm at sea washes a young pickpocket, Hugh, and a surgeon's son, Raymond, overboard.Landing on the strange island world of Dinotopia, Raymond and Hugh learn the meaning of real courage and true friendship, with the help of a reclusive Skybax named Windchaser. ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Windchaser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windchaser

Connie
Apr 01, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it
This did not read like a juvenile book to me. It feels more advanced than that. The plot was intricate and the characters highly developed. And since I have read the world-building original Dinotopia by James Gurney, I was able to enter this story with no difficulty.

Hugh was my favorite character. It was interesting to watch him struggle to fit into this true utopian society with his background and wall of distrust. It reminded me greatly of another book I read that dealt with the concept of a n
Daniel
Nov 28, 2007 Daniel rated it really liked it
I remember really enjoying this book when I first read it, about the time that it first came out. It was mostly because of this book that I recommended the Dinotopia series as books for emerging readers.

As I read it out-loud to my sons at bed-time, I felt it lost some of the magic that I had initially felt, and I was even surprised at the apparent lack of dinosaurs included. However, my eldest son thought the book was "awesome" and wants me to read all the books in the series to him, so perhaps
Travis Mueller
Jun 07, 2014 Travis Mueller rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A.
Jun 22, 2012 A. rated it it was amazing
This series is relatively easy reading, but I love it!
My favorite part in this book was the "not bloke. Triceratops." line.
Emily
May 31, 2016 Emily added it
Suprisingly I liked this book usually I don't like thes kind of books.I like how the book shows some of the history of the dinosaurs.I liked that they have the kids training the dinosaurs and them riding them it was pretty cool.I kept on reading this book, it kept me at the edge of my feet. I recomend this book especially if you like to read stuff about dinosaurs. After I read this book I new a lot more names of the dinosaurs.
Nikitah
Sep 24, 2015 Nikitah rated it really liked it
Neat story, short enough to read in two hours or less. Yes, it's a kid's book, but the language, thought processes, and characters are developed enough that it could be enjoyed by an adult (like me). That bit about Daniel saddened me, though. Now I just have to read the novels! They're probably loads more detailed and dramatic. But I'll keep reading this series, too.
Joseph
Dec 06, 2010 Joseph rated it really liked it
McKenzie Richardson
May 21, 2016 McKenzie Richardson rated it liked it
Shelves: series
A fun book that is simple yet interesting. A well-developed plot and intricate characters make this a great read for children as well as adults. I really enjoy the world of Dinotopia and this is a great adventure.
Laina
Mar 19, 2012 Laina rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult-2012
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

Plot summary:
Raymond and Hugh, a young street thief, are shipwrecked on Dinotopia Island, where humans and dinosaurs live in idyllic harmony. Raymond adjusts quickly, but Hugh's hard life has not prepared him for this peaceful communal existence. His feelings of inadequacy are echoed in Windchaser, a reclusive Skybax, and he resolves to communicate with the outcast creature.

Characters:
Raymond - 13 years old
Hugh

Key phrases/issues: utopia/dystopia, friendship,

Other boo
Robyn
Jan 31, 2016 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Paul
Jul 21, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
9/10

The illustrations and world building alone mean that this series is a delight for children. Fulfilling many a child's dreams.
Kate
Mar 08, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
My 10 year old son (who doesn't like to read very much) loves this series. Now it is all he wants to read.
Dec 28, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Found myself crying several times. I was not expecting this story to pull on my heart-strings.
Brittany
Sep 12, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it
raymond wilks loses his father when during a storm some prisoners on a prison ship rebel and take over the ship. he is rescued by a prisoner named hugh O Donavan and two dolphins thay land on dinatopia a wordeful place where humans and dinasours live in peace raymond meets a wounded sky bask named wind chaser amd is sent to sky bask training camp. raymond finds where wind chaser lives. then windchaser leaves his home and ray mond and hugh go to find him ray mond ends up geting hurt and hugh and ...more
Greta
Aug 15, 2015 Greta rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favourite books when I was younger.
King Haddock
Oct 21, 2008 King Haddock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The first book of the children's series is definitely the best, probably due to the fact readers of yet know nothing of Dinotopia (assuming they are reading chronologically). The world seems wonderful and unique. The character seeking to remain a thief and think in a material world really brings perspective to the land. Only following this book does Dinotopia become boring and monotonous due to its peaceful nature - there is only so much one can do in a society that is "perfect."
Denae Christine
Jul 02, 2009 Denae Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A simplistic book with impossible culture and amazing creatures. The internal conflict was done really well, but the overall setting felt too foreign to me. I think it is just that I have never connected with dinosaurs.
Dragons are better.
Even with that sentiment clouding my judgment, it was still a good book for the younger crowd. 8-12.
Brandon McDaniel
Feb 01, 2011 Brandon McDaniel rated it really liked it
It is a good book, especially for younger readers. However, the Dinotopia series books are brief which leaves much to be desired in the way of details and thick plots. In other words, I recommend the books as a light, fun read, but it definitely doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the plot and connections.
Kristy
Nov 19, 2010 Kristy rated it really liked it
I really liked it. Of course it's not the same wonderful, amazing, breathtaking awesomness as the original books by James Gurney, but as a secondary novel, it's good. Plus it dives into more of a story about the Skybaxes, which is great.
Theresa
Dec 15, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
I read through this series of books on dinotopia as an interest in a lesson plan extension for higher elementary school grades, this was expanding the thematic unit i created for kindergarten...
Elizabeth
Sep 19, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
The first and the best of the Dinotopia kids series. I read this as a dinosaur-obsessed child so many times the spine of my copy is cracked right down the middle.
Stephen
Mar 15, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
My rating is largely based on how I felt about this book as a kid. It has to do with flying and back then, all I ever wanted to do was fly.
Annemarie Metcalf
Jan 10, 2013 Annemarie Metcalf rated it really liked it
I've always wanted to ride on a skybax after reading this book.. probably the closest I've come is the flying sequences in Avatar!
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, fantastic series. The authors do a good job to keep their writing and voice congruous throughout the various books.
Marie
Dec 13, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade.

I don't remember much about it other than I loved it.
Kit
Oct 05, 2011 Kit rated it it was amazing
This was one of the books that defined my childhood, and one of the best Dinotopia spin-off books. It's quite lovely.
Kat
Aug 19, 2016 Kat rated it really liked it
Can't remember what it was about, might have been a preclude to my amazing dinosaur dream but not really
Beka
Jul 01, 2013 Beka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first in the children's series and a very good place to start. Interesting and a good read.
Kayla
Aug 16, 2013 Kayla rated it liked it
Reminiscent of the Dinotopia movie, yet set several hundred years prior.
Dan Du
Mar 03, 2013 Dan Du rated it liked it
A beutiful and mixed world of concepts with dinosaurs and drama
Order of the books 3 18 Jun 07, 2009 03:03PM
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)
  • Oasis (Dinotopia, #16)
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • Survive! (Dinotopia, #13)
  • A Redwall Winter's Tale
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • The World of the "Dark Crystal"
  • Amano: The Complete Prints
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom
  • Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2)
Scott Ciencin was a New York Times best-selling novelist of 90+ books. He wrote adult and children's fiction and worked in a variety of mediums including comic books. He created programs for Scholastic Books, designed trading cards, consulted on video games, directed and produced audio programs & TV commercials, and wrote in the medical field about neurosurgery and neurology. He first worked i ...more
More about Scott Ciencin...

Dinotopia (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Thunder Falls (Dinotopia, #6)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)