Start by marking “Dinotopia Lost” as Want to Read:
Dinotopia Lost

Dinotopia Lost (Dinotopia)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,071 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
For countless centuries, the Land Apart from Time has been protected from intruders by the coral reefs surrounding the island. But when a storm-tossed ship finds its way to the shore, this lost world of humans and dinosaurs will be utterly exposed -- to a crew of pirates...
Published March 26th 2002 by Ace (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dinotopia Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinotopia Lost

Jonathan Anderson
Jan 15, 2015 Jonathan Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read. Foster knows how to rock that alliteration (garrulous Gallimimus was my personal favorite), and I enjoyed how he switched from human to dinosaur to human viewpoints within less than a sentence of each other. He does a good job of making the language barriers clear while at the same time blending it together so we don't have to waste time trying to decipher things ourselves. I did think it was a little odd that Arthur Denison is barely mentioned and then done away with complete ...more
Mara
As a child, I loved Dinotopia stories! All of them involved exploring and danger and adventure. More often than not, I found myself more attached to the saurian characters than the human. I was first interested in Dinotopia when I saw the Hallmark mini-series. It wasn't until one of my friend's loaned me "The World Beneath" and "A Land Apart from Time" that I realized how much the TV series distorted James Gurney's original stories - a fact that still irks me to no end. I was sorry that James Gu ...more
Eskana
May 05, 2016 Eskana rated it liked it
I've always had in interesting relationship with Dinotopia. I love the James Gurney artwork and all the stories and novels, even the novel series. On the other hand, I know that if it existed in real life, I would probably not believe that dinosaurs were sentient and on the same level as humans... but I enjoy reading it all the same.

Foster writes Dinotopia really well, staying true to the spirit that Gurney created of peace, friendship, respect, and benignity that was in the original stories. He
Matthew Kemp
Aug 18, 2012 Matthew Kemp rated it really liked it
why i decided to read this book: this book was recommended to me by a friend and i enjoy these types of books
Bingo Board category: this book goes into the sci-fi/ fantasy book. i like this category because these are the types of books that i usually read.
Favorite quote: 'in dinotopia people travel everywhere with flowers. they're considered as essential to a long and happy life as food or drink'
something i learned: i learned about a lot of different types of dinosaurs and their habits.
a characte
Travis Mueller
Aug 03, 2014 Travis Mueller marked it as pass
It seems well enough written, but it just doesn't hook me for some reason. Maybe part of the problem is that it is written, since the more attractive part of the original Dinotopia is the art, and because narrative requires that things which could be ambiguous in a drawing (the exact relationship between people (both human and saurian) interacting) must be made explicit. Also, it seems like there is too much emphasis on the inability to communicate because of non-shared languages, which is dumb ...more
Tyrell Warner
Jul 19, 2012 Tyrell Warner rated it really liked it
More like a traditinal novel than most of the other Dinotopia works, this book is best labeled a young adult science fiction-fantasy.

One reason it may be more overlooked than other books in the series is its larger size and more developed plot, which includes conventions which other books in the series do not generally have, such as pirates.

I am not sure if adults would truly appreciate this work, as it seems something more for the 10-15 demographic.
Susan
Writing style is a bit too verbose. The story is fun to read, but the word choices usually end up being slightly exotic or obscure. We are reading it aloud for our family book time. Some sentences are difficult to speak out loud!
Meredith Miyake
A wonderful adventure, and a worthy addition to the world of Dinotopia. Full of humor, thought and suspense. I have loved the Gurney books since I was very young and was absolutely thrilled to enjoy this one.

A must-read for Dinotopia fans.
Molly
Dec 25, 2008 Molly added it
A wonderful, fantastic series. The authors do a good job to keep their writing and voice congruous throughout the various books.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
so much detail so interesting a setting
Patrick
Nov 10, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Beka
Aug 31, 2009 Beka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book with so many facets. Probably my favorite Dinotopia book. The writing is great and the plot of the story keeps moving along.
Leah
Apr 29, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. I thought it had great characters, a thrilling storyline, and was a perfect addition to the original stories.
Tyler D
Jul 22, 2015 Tyler D rated it really liked it
I don't know if it's really four stars, but I loved it as a kid and I loved it as a young adult. Dinosaurs always and forever.
Leandra
Jul 08, 2011 Leandra rated it really liked it
I love dinosaurs! Even better, talking ones! Dinotopia sounds amazing- I'd like to live there! I also seem to love exclamation marks!
Kirstin
I wish I could live in this world!
Iain Parkes
Nov 13, 2016 Iain Parkes marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Small Creek
Somehow these things are never as great as I remember them to be. That, or because this is written by the great ADF. Hah. I should revisit the original books one of these days.
Abigail
Dec 18, 2016 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so much a fan of the movie and this, once I got caught up in it, was fantastic. I never wanted to stop reading. Love the characters, love the story.
Erinn
Feb 09, 2008 Erinn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've never read any Dinotopia books before, but I have read a few of Foster's books which is why I picked this one up. I found it quite enjoyable.
John
Sep 26, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1fiction, box8, box15
Was always a fan of Alan Dean Foster, so when I saw this on I picked it up - not disappointed - fast good read about an odd subject.
Ann Seeton
Sep 17, 2008 Ann Seeton rated it liked it
I love Dinotopia so I enjoyed this adventure.
Dan Stoner
Nov 04, 2012 Dan Stoner rated it really liked it
I almost put down the book when the author introduced the notion of sentient dinosaurs but I'm glad I kept reading. The dinosaurs were interesting characters and I really enjoyed the book.
Emily Olson
Jan 18, 2013 Emily Olson rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Great Story, couldn't put it down.
John Newill
John Newill rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Charles Last
Charles Last rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2012
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • Oasis (Dinotopia, #16)
  • Survive! (Dinotopia, #13)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)
  • Dragon Fantastic
  • The Spell of the Crystal Chair (Seven Sleepers: The Lost Chronicles, #1)
  • Tanar of Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #3)
  • A Redwall Winter's Tale
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Dinotopia (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Thunder Falls (Dinotopia, #6)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)