The Rise and Fall of the British Empire

The Rise and Fall of the British Empire

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  472 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Great Britain's geopolitical role has undergone many changes over the last four centuries. Once a maritime superpower and ruler of half the world, Britain now occupies an isolated position as an economically fragile island often at odds with her European neighbors.
Lawrence James has written a comprehensive, perceptive, and insighful history of the British Empire. Spanning...more
Published September 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1994)

Paul
Jul 25, 2012 Paul marked it as to-read-nonfiction
Me and a friend hitchhiked around Europe once. Ah, those were the days. On one occasion we were in a line waiting to cross some border or another and there was a Danish guy talking to us. "I am glad I am from Denmark and not from Britain", he said. "Yeah?" "Yeah, because everybody has a beef with you guys. But nobody has ever heard of Denmark, so they are always nice to me."

Everybody has a beef with Britain?

Well, let's see.

FORMER COLONIES (I use their modern names here)

Australia
Bahamas
Bangla Des...more
Maureen
once into this book it becomes impossible to sustain; the author is hell-bent to present british imperialism as a) different from the (bad) imperialism of others and b) provided a noble service of preparing hapless fools for self government. Britain was no tyrant, but a good parent... noblesse oblige oozes from these pages; they provide a gloss thick as butter on even the opium trade.. it was impossible to finish this "spin" piece, for it made me gag. There are few errors of comision, but the er...more
SA
This book is truly epic in nature. Lengthy, it guides the reader through the entirety of the British empire. The focus is primarily around the government/business sector, with the social attitudes of British citizens and colonists also getting sufficient treatment. worth noting that what is rarely discussed are royal ongoings.

James is splendid on many levels. The research is both thorough and detailed. The social history is beautifully intertwined with the history. The book is broken down first...more
KOMET
Aug 24, 2013 KOMET rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Any Anglophile or someone curious about what was the British Empire
In writing this critique, I must advise any prospective reader to brace him/herself for a long stretch, for this is a weighty and comprehensive book about one of the most extraordinary empires that ever existed. In the case of the British Empire, it did not come into being as part of a deliberate plan from one nation to dominate a large corner of the globe. The Empire's origins are to be found in Elizabethan England, in which a poor nation barely recovered from a prolonged period of internal dis...more
Malapata
Tal y como indica su título, mi interés hacia este libro también ha sufrido un "ascenso y caída"; pasé de disfrutar con su lectura a no ver la hora de terminarlo.

El autor divide su obra en dos mitades de prácticamente la misma extensión, una dedicada a la forja del Imperio Británico y la segunda a su disolución. Esto podría parecer una medida adecuada, salvo por el hecho de que la primera parte abarca tres siglos mientras que la segunda se restringe al siglo XX, en especial al periodo que transc...more
Jay
Lawrence puts together a well written book covering a comprehensive range of the British Empire and the imperialism, colonialsm, and early phases of international capital during the reign of the Empire. Areas of historical interest covered in this book are mercantilism, the economic value of exploiting colonies in order to build the British Navy to the most powerful force on the international sea, the trans-Atalntic slave trade, and an in-depth focus on the East India Company and India. I especi...more
Jim Graham
As a former Brit army officer I picked this up expecting a right royal, late-20th century revisionist empire bashing. I was wrong. I found this book to offer excellent insight into the condition of empire, and despite a reasonable understanding of Britain's exploits overseas, James' book provided me with a context I hadn't found elsewhere. Thoroughly enjoyable. A time well described.
Ian
A definitive single volume history, which through the extent of the British Empire and everyone else's reaction to it, pretty clearly delineates why the global map looks the way it does today. Starting with the colonisation of America and finishing with African independent nationhood, James does a fine job of explaining the economic imperatives that forged the empire, the high-minded contemporary moral justification for its existence and the global realpolitik that forced its dissolution. I felt...more
Steve
Covering the period between the first Queen Elizabeth and the second Lawrence follows the establishment of the British Empire from a few trading outposts and reaction to Catholic Spain, through its glory days as master of the seas, to its eventual demise through the 20th Century and two very costly world wars. In the end, the Empire faded away as its people, both at home and in the colonies and dominions found other priorities and the cost financially and politically of maintaining the Empire be...more
Al
This was a superior one volume work on the British empire. In reading the other reviews of James' work, I have to wonder if we read the same book, as this is a very even-handed look at all aspects of the Empire. What I found especially useful is that within the narrative, James traces the evolving view of empire, until the prevailing view became one of racial differences, beginning by the end of the 19th century, and culminating in the Suez War in 1956 and Rhodesia's attempts to become an indepe...more
Joe
The writing style is easy enough to read that I want to keep going, but it is also full of information. It's a very good overview of the British empire, going into detail at points, but stays focused.

I saw another review that said this book was trying to spin history to make the empire sound less bad than it was. I think that's just a misinterpretation. The book simply doesn't apologize. It tells you what happened, and what forces caused things to happen, and it leaves it up to you to make a jud...more
Alexus
Total pro-imperial propaganda, and a whitewashing of British imperial history. Often downright racist, it asks us to actually believe the self-serving imperial tale about "civilization". A total mess. But interesting, for its help in giving us insight into the ultimately empty rationalizations that the British used to convince themselves of the moral superiority of their rapacious cause and their morally repugnant empire.
Nathan
This one slowed me down :( The title and the length say it all, really. A self-confessed middle class Tory, James comes across rather strongly in favour of the Empire as a Good Thing. A bit of a slog in places it comes alive in others (particularly liked the difference in characterisation between NZ and OZ in WWII). But like most history books, probably one for someone interested in the topic. 2.5/5
Sandeep
Do not agree with the 'rise' part of the story, but remarkably honest regarding the 'fall'. Insights abound, such as the Telegram from Churchill enquiring if among the multitude dead in Bengal famine included his adversary Gandhi! Precisely famines which were commonplace in Brit run India, and never in the chaotic democracy that follows tells which is better.
Riley
This book is detailed and does an insightful job of describing the cultural impacts of British imperialism, particularly on the mother country. But it was very, very hard to get through its 630 pages. I finished four or five other books at the same time as I read this, and only completed it because I made myself read a chapter before I read anything else each night.
Andrew
This book is thorough and well-written. The author is capable of staying on the topic of the book while spending little time mucking about in the minutiae. The book drags on a bit at the end. But, then again, the British empire really hasn't fully fallen as of yet; so I couldn't imagine how else one would finish this immense topic.

Would rcommend.
Daniel
Starts off nicely, as a historical narrative beginning with the struggle for control in the Americas. However, it soon turns from a narritive into a collection of essays. The essays certainlty add to the work, but are much longer than they need to be and displace much needed narrative.
Kyle
Oct 01, 2012 Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Good Book. Very comprehensive and well researched. James took a rather unbiased look at the British Empire, which was neither perfect nor evil. There were some British references that no one but a Brit would recognize, but they didn't hurt the overall story.
Quauhtli
This book on the history of the British Empire was absolutely incredible. Lawrence James has an amazing way of being very neutral regarding the history, politics, and imperial chronicles of Great Britain. I thought this work of literature was absolutely brilliant.
Mark Singer
Excellent popular history on a massive subject. The book is almost 700 pages long but is an easy read, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in the British Empire.
Edited: Just as good the second time (August 2013
Converse
Origins (not including Ireland) of the British empire, loss of American colonies, expansion in 1800s, loss of empire in 1900s through 1990s (written before handoff of Hong Kong completed). Attitudes towards empire
Simon
James takes a modern British “Whig” (patriotic and liberal constitutionalist) view of the British Empire. The tome itself is a tour-de-force of research. It is pretty comprehensive for a one-volume history.
Pshorse
A little dry at times, slow, but it interesting. Thery certainly don't make War like the Opium War anymore, or maybe they do if the CIA was selling Cocaine for money.
Victor Prado
This book was an incredible book to read. I was full of facts. It is based on on how the British empire rose to its height and then to its fall after world war 2.
Lynn
Well written and informative. Long, but a fairly easy read simply because it was so interesting I didn't want to put it down.
Chris S
Great overview... and doesn't shy away from some of the more shameful episides of Britain's history either.
Jbondandrews
A very well written book, however, again very imperialistic undertones and with racial undertones.
Zane Schafer
A complete and wonderful walk through the entire thing. First NA settlement thru the Falklands.
La pointe de la sauce
THIS BOOK IS ABOUT THE RISE AND FALL OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE. LOL.
James
Jul 15, 2012 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone!
An extraordinary body of work, warts and all.
  • The Scramble for Africa: The White Man's Conquest of the Dark Continent from 1876 to 1912
  • The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649­-1815
  • Queen Victoria's Little Wars
  • The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997
  • The Washing of the Spears: A History of the Rise of the Zulu Nation Under Shaka and Its Fall in the Zulu War of 1879
  • Pax Britannica: Climax of an Empire
  • Tournament of Shadows: The Great Game & the Race for Empire in Central Asia
  • The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia (Kodansha Globe)
  • The History of England
  • Empire: How Britain Made The Modern World
  • The American Way of War: A History of United States Military Strategy and Policy
  • The Victorians
  • The Hundred Years War: The English in France 1337-1453
  • Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan
  • The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648-1815
  • Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America 1492-1830
  • The Thirty Year's War: Europe's Tragedy
  • The Isles: A History
Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India Aristocrats: Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present Warrior Race: A History of the British at War The Golden Warrior: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia The Middle Class