Start by marking “Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference” as Want to Read:
Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference

Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference

In this rich and illuminating book, the Pulitzer Prize-winning, bestselling author Robert Coles creates a portrait of moral leadership--what it is, and how it is achieved--through stories of people who have led and inspired him: Robert Kennedy, Dorothy Day, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Erik Erikson, a Boston bus driver, teachers in college, medical school, and elementary school, ...more
Published October 9th 2001 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lives of Moral Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives of Moral Leadership

Dick
May 31, 2012 Dick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walker Percy
"Listen to people, see how they stick to themselves into the world, hand them along, and good and selfish reason. It only remains whether this vocation is best pursued in a service station or-"

remember the moments " we do, indeed, no matter who we are, what we do, hand one another along, give one another various reasons to be to take a stand, to act."

Robert Coles

I will revisit this one often!
Danielle
Dec 03, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok
Didn't actually finish the book, but did cause a little food for thought since I read this right before the election for a book club. The discussion actually influenced who I voted for! This book actually made me want to learn more about JFK and Robert Kennedy.
As for Coles' style, it was a little hard to follow. Maybe because he's getting older...?! I haven't read any of his other books to test the theory.
Paige
Nov 04, 2008 Paige rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot more than I expected to. I was sorry to miss the meeting on this one, because it got me thinking about how I can try to be a better person - not really kinder or sweeter, but the kind of person who gets good things done. I liked that about the examples Coles talks about in the book -- they were pretty much nice people, but the main thing is that they are doers.
Brian Stout
Jul 07, 2013 Brian Stout rated it really liked it
A thoughtful exploration of people who dared; an effort to explore the human cost of their sacrifice, the sources of their commitment, and to illuminate for others the appeal and perils of bypassing the path of least resistance. I liked it - not earth-shattering, but a welcome insight into integrity, empathy, and a life worth living.
Steve
Oct 06, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
Two stand out chapters; Dorothy Day, a leader in providing social services in the 60's; and Albert Jones, a bus driver that was a normal man who by simple actions initiated the desegregation of Bostons schools.
His descriptions of the moral compass of children makes me want to read his book, 'The Moral Intelligence of Children'
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it it was ok
This book is under consideration for the synergy program. I did not think much of it. It felt like a book a professor would assign and then make you write a 5 page paper on. I stopped after about 45 pages.
Eric
Jul 23, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
I appreciated Robert Coles reflections on what constitutes moral leadership and the examples of many different situations and people in which this kind of leadership was recognized by him.
Andy
Aug 12, 2016 Andy rated it really liked it
Good read with many really quality examples of moral leadership. Coles is a must read for anyone interested in learning more about leadership.
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2013
Randy Haffner
Randy Haffner rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Lydia Kent
Lydia Kent rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Jessie
Jessie rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2010
Richard Friedman
Richard Friedman rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Carey
Carey rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Chelsea Taylor
Chelsea Taylor rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Pete
May 20, 2013 Pete added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kdl
This was a hard book to get through, especially at points, but at the end, it was worth it.
Sunday Taylor
Sunday Taylor rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Mary Jo
Mary Jo rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2007
Ray Jackson
Ray Jackson rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Timothy McCluskey
Timothy McCluskey rated it really liked it
May 12, 2009
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2008
John Arfwedson
John Arfwedson rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2010
A.campanellaverizon.net
A.campanellaverizon.net rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Sara Ackerman
Sara Ackerman rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2011
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Madeline Anderson
Madeline Anderson rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Child psychiatrist, author, Harvard professor.

Robert Coles is a professor of psychiatry and medical humanities at the Harvard Medical School, a research psychiatrist for the Harvard University Health Services, and the James Agee Professor of Social Ethics at Harvard College.
More about Robert Coles...