Start by marking “Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference” as Want to Read:
Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference

Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this rich and illuminating book, the Pulitzer Prize-winning, bestselling author Robert Coles creates a portrait of moral leadership--what it is, and how it is achieved--through stories of people who have led and inspired him: Robert Kennedy, Dorothy Day, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Erik Erikson, a Boston bus driver, teachers in college, medical school, and elementary school, a ...more
Published October 9th 2001 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lives of Moral Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives of Moral Leadership

Eric
I appreciated Robert Coles reflections on what constitutes moral leadership and the examples of many different situations and people in which this kind of leadership was recognized by him.
Danielle
Didn't actually finish the book, but did cause a little food for thought since I read this right before the election for a book club. The discussion actually influenced who I voted for! This book actually made me want to learn more about JFK and Robert Kennedy.
As for Coles' style, it was a little hard to follow. Maybe because he's getting older...?! I haven't read any of his other books to test the theory.
Dick
Walker Percy
"Listen to people, see how they stick to themselves into the world, hand them along, and good and selfish reason. It only remains whether this vocation is best pursued in a service station or-"

remember the moments " we do, indeed, no matter who we are, what we do, hand one another along, give one another various reasons to be to take a stand, to act."

Robert Coles

I will revisit this one often!
Paige
I liked this book a lot more than I expected to. I was sorry to miss the meeting on this one, because it got me thinking about how I can try to be a better person - not really kinder or sweeter, but the kind of person who gets good things done. I liked that about the examples Coles talks about in the book -- they were pretty much nice people, but the main thing is that they are doers.
Steve
Two stand out chapters; Dorothy Day, a leader in providing social services in the 60's; and Albert Jones, a bus driver that was a normal man who by simple actions initiated the desegregation of Bostons schools.
His descriptions of the moral compass of children makes me want to read his book, 'The Moral Intelligence of Children'
Brian Stout
A thoughtful exploration of people who dared; an effort to explore the human cost of their sacrifice, the sources of their commitment, and to illuminate for others the appeal and perils of bypassing the path of least resistance. I liked it - not earth-shattering, but a welcome insight into integrity, empathy, and a life worth living.
Frederick Bingham
This book is under consideration for the synergy program. I did not think much of it. It felt like a book a professor would assign and then make you write a 5 page paper on. I stopped after about 45 pages.
Andy
Good read with many really quality examples of moral leadership. Coles is a must read for anyone interested in learning more about leadership.
Pete
May 20, 2013 Pete added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kdl
This was a hard book to get through, especially at points, but at the end, it was worth it.
Julia
had a big impact on my life. womderful read
Mel
I have no memory of this book
Marci
It had it's moments.
Jim Dyer
Jim Dyer marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 11, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Andrew
Andrew added it
Feb 01, 2015
Laura Lazar
Laura Lazar marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 03, 2015
Shawn
Shawn added it
Jan 03, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Alya Bint Saif
Alya Bint Saif marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Child psychiatrist, author, Harvard professor.

Robert Coles is a professor of psychiatry and medical humanities at the Harvard Medical School, a research psychiatrist for the Harvard University Health Services, and the James Agee Professor of Social Ethics at Harvard College.
More about Robert Coles...
The Story Of Ruby Bridges The Call of Stories: Teaching and the Moral Imagination The Spiritual Life of Children Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion The Call of Service