Start by marking “Separate Reality” as Want to Read:
Separate Reality

Separate Reality (The Teachings of Don Juan #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  13,023 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
"A man of knowledge is free...he has no honor, no dignity, no family, no home, no country, but only life to be lived." --don Juan
In 1961 a young anthropologist subjected himself to an extraordinary apprenticeship to bring back a fascinating glimpse of a Yaqui Indian's world of "non-ordinary reality" & the difficult and dangerous road a person must travel to become "a
Published November 27th 2003 by Arkana (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Separate Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Separate Reality

Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
"Our lot as men is to learn and one goes to knowledge as one goes to war; I have told you this countless times. One goes to knowledge or to war with fear, with respect, aware that one is going to war, and with absolute confidence in oneself."

"In order to become a man of knowledge one must be a warrior, not a whimpering child. One must strive without giving up, without a complaint, without flinching, until one sees, only to realize then that nothing matters."

In this book, Castaneda returns to his
Sherry (sethurner)
Castaneda books were very popular when I was an undergraduate, and when I first started teaching in the 1970s. I remember reading all three and being amused and confused. I suspect I was mostly interested in the author's descriptions of his experiences with peyote. Years have passed, and I revisited A Separate Reality after a friend's adult son passed away. I saw imagery and a quote from Castaneda in his artwork, and thought this might be a time to see what I could learn from the book. What a di ...more
Steven Fogel
I recommend Carlos Castaneda's body of work, which had a great impact on my worldview. A Separate Reality (the second in the series) describes his studies with Don Juan, the Yaqui shaman that he first wrote about in Teachings of Don Juan, a Yaqui Way of Knowledge. Like Teachings, A Separate Reality explores the multiple realities that we experience in our lives, such as our dreams, which while we're dreaming are our true universe, and our waking reality, in which our dreams are just a fantasy. A ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Separate Reality: Further Conversation with Don Juan (The Teachings of Don Juan #2), Carlos Castaneda

مجموعه ی این دوازده کتاب به توالی تاریخ انتشار به زبان اصلی که همه به فارسی ترجمه شده به قرار زیر است

1-The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge (1968)
تعلیمات دون خوان (طریقه ی معرفت نزد یاکی ها)۰ 1365 انتشارات فردوس ـ ترجمه ی حسین نیر
2 - A Separate Reality: Further Conversation with Don Juan (1971)
حقیقتی دیگر (باز هم گفت و شنودی با دون خوان)۰ 1364 انتشارات آگاه، ترجمه ی ابراهیم مکلا۰
Diana Silaghi
Feb 02, 2013 Diana Silaghi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Don Juan had once told me that a man of knowledge had predilections. I asked him to explain his statement.
"My predilection is to see," he said.
"What do you mean by that?"
"I like to see" he said, "because only by seeing can a man of knowledge know."
"What kind of things do you see?"
"Everything."
"But I also see everything and I'm not a man of knowledge."
"No. You don't see.
"I think I do."
"I tell you, you don't."
"What makes you say that, don Juan?"
"You only look at the surface of things."
"Do you mean
David
When I was an undergraduate in the mid-70's, Castaneda's "Don Juan" trilogy (with maybe a little Hermann Hesse thrown in) was what one read to be considered deep and interesting. Thirty years on, Hesse still holds up (for the most part). For Castaneda one can only ask "What was I thinking?".

But presumably that's what undergraduate time should be used for - to read broadly and indiscriminately. So not everything you read in college is going to be good.
Rob Poole
Dec 22, 2012 Rob Poole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, reviewed, fiction
There is another world just beyond our reach and we only need to seek it to find it.

In the 1960s Carlos Castaneda made his way to Mexico to learn more about Yaqui Indians and to do a little soul searching. What he found was a man named don Juan, a very powerful sorcerer and a force to be reckoned with. Don Juan turns Castaneda's whole world upside down by teaching him the ways of a sorcerer and the results are some of the most beautiful and touching pieces of nonfiction.

In "A Separate Reality" C
Daniel Parks
Mar 23, 2013 Daniel Parks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can either view Castaneda's work as extremely well written psychedelic fiction prose or you can view it as a collection of vital truths that will help you live a better life. Either way you would be right in my opinion, and the fact that it is all most likely completely made up only makes the fiction that much more magical to me, and more true.

"It was as if the point of departure had always been myself. It was as if Don Juan had never really been there, and when I looked for him he became w
Leo Walsh
Second Don Juan book. A little weaker than the first. Plus, there are hints of Hindu and Buddhist philosophy re-packaged as native American wisdom. Old wine in new [age] skins...

But instead of reading these as the non-fiction they are marketed as, I am reading them as fantasies.

That said, I love the new character Castaneda introduces here, don Genaro. A true trickster, he makes me laugh. But the "wisdom" revealed here is less interesting than the "wisdom" revealed in the first volume. Instead
Samson Martirosyan
Դոն Խուանի հետ առաջին հանդիպման պահից անցավ արդեն 10 տարի։ Մարտիկ դառնալու ու տեսնելու ճանապարհը լի է դժվարություններով, որոնք հեղինակը փորձում է հաղթահարել այս անգամ ավելի պրակտիկ գործողություններով, սակայն ամենաբարդ բանը՝ լիովին ընդունել սկսած ճանապարհը, կողքի դնելով սովորական ընկալումը, դեռ չի ստացվում։ Բայց սառույցը արդեն շարժվել է, դեպի ետ ճանապարհ այլևս չկա։ Մյուսը՝ Ճանապարհորդություն դեպի Իստկլանն է, որն, թվում է, էլ ավելի հետաքրքիր կլինի։

Անհնար է պոկվել գրքից։ Իրականությունը փոխվում է, հ
Erik Graff
Apr 30, 2009 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychonauts
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: religion
This is the volume following Castaneda's revised doctoral dissertation, The Teachings of Don Juan (1968), and preceding Journey to Ixtlan (1972). The three were eventually issued as a cloth trilogy. I started the series in paperback, but found the trilogy soon after and purchased it, probably at Stuart Brent Bookstore in Chicago near where I worked during the summer months between college and seminary.
Sandra Hernandez
This book was hard to follow, I found myself asking wether or not what was being read was actually occuring or if it was part of a story. I still enjoyed it, the book has the potential to open a mind and explore different dimensions outside of this world. I really think I would have captured more of the books teachings if I had joined in the peyote smoking! :>
DNF with Jack Mack
The first half-hour did not compel me to finish the audiobook.
Aaron Dennis
Jul 05, 2014 Aaron Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Separate Reality is the second book written by Carlos Castaneda, and while still practically mired in the realm of hallucinogenic mixtures, a few new topics are brought to life; seeing, living like a warrior, and shutting off the internal dialogue.

It is those three concepts, which bring a rather large change to the narrative presentation. Some people argue that it is because the book veers away from the initial inspections of the first book that it must all be fake. Okay, very possible. It is
Nima
Sep 28, 2016 Nima rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
این کتاب را موقعی خواندم که در استانه ی تغیر بزرگی در زندگی ام بودم. خواندن کتاب بسیاز کمکم کرد تا اراده را بفهمم و تازه درک کردم که اراده ی بسیار کمی در زندگی ام دارم.
به عنوان یک رمان خوانده شود بهتر است. چون تجربه ی گیاهان توهم زا بسیار خطرناک است. تجربه ی این گیاهان همچون دوپینگی برای کسب اراده ی قوی تر می تواند تلقی شود ولی در عین حال ممکن است فرد را دچار اضطراب های عمیق بکند که تا مدت ها دامنگیر فرد باشند.
در کل مسیری که دون خوان دنبال می کند همان مسیری است که همه ی آدمیان کم و بیش دنبال می
David
Aug 09, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread from a college-assigned book. It’s a fictional but well written account with some philosophy buried in mystical pretense. (Castaneda never declared it to be fictional.) Strange, I wish it were true, and I’m not sure why. Maybe we want there to be a different world lurking just beyond conscious perception. This book and the whole Yaqui Way of Knowledge is an appeal to the mystic want-to-be. It makes our reality seem so boring. But actually it’s not. A separate and better reality ...more
Aaron
Nov 20, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book would probably seem strange to most and only interesting to a few. For me I can only say that this book chose me, it came to me at a time in my life in which I was approaching a major spiritual awakening, though I didn't know it. This book helped push me over the edge. I feel if I would have read it any time sooner than when I did it would have been lost on me.
Jeff
May 12, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
anthropology or fabrication? doesn't matter--can't be too much carpe diem literature and this is excellent--i've loved page 88 for many decades--
Anna
Jan 01, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried to read his book, but more I'd read more I thought that the author had spent time with Don Juan on using some kind of drug.
Edward Caliguri
Dec 08, 2016 Edward Caliguri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this one first (then the first book as well as the others in the series) - at night, alone - if you want the shivers. True story? Who knows. Full of great philosophy. Magic? Sorcery? Imagination? When Don Juan tells Carlos about why he lost the one woman he loved, you'll cry. When he tells him that his death is always at his left shoulder, and if he looks fast he'll see it, 'to remind him that everything is fine; I haven't touched you yet' and it's a friend for doing so, you'll try and look ...more
Rey Hernández Sedelmeier
Really enjoyed this book, couldn't stop reading it once I started. I read the teachings of don juan prior to a separate reality, but enjoyed the latter better. In a separate reality Carlos Castaneda shares his experience once he decided to resume his journey to knowledge. This book goes way deeper into the yaqui way of knowledge and describes vividly various mystic experiences. Entertaining and full of wisdom, would recommend it to anyone exploring alternate sources of knowledge and orthogonal p ...more
Bryan Ceballos
Es un libro con un mensaje interesante, el del camino del guerrero y el de "ver" de una manera distinta sin embargo no ha sido mi libro favorito y me quede literalmente dormido muchas veces intentando leerlo.

Diferente, pero no un diferente atrapante.
Sunil Pandey
too turbid to figure out at times
Jiri Kram
Jun 19, 2017 Jiri Kram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love Castaneda's first book about Don Juan this one is must for you. It further explains mystical world of Don Juan and put link to many already discussed concepts in the first book.
Fabricio Vargas
Seguramente no volveré a leer un libro de Castaneda.
"Una realidad aparte" es un libro confuso, con una historia que no atrapa.
Bryan Hoy
Nov 02, 2016 Bryan Hoy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Put it down about halfway through because it was nonsense.
Irina N
Jun 24, 2015 Irina N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you review a non fiction book?

This time around I really tried to use this book as a practical guide. Previously after reading a book by Castaneda, I would feel changed and mesmerized but I also found that details would escape me like after seeing a dream. I started the Separate Reality volume back in 2013 but could not make it to the end. The timing was not right.
Lately certain events triggered my desire to re-visit and make another attempt, particularly the Guardian episode! Similar to
Danielle Parker
Apr 27, 2016 Danielle Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR-A Separate Reality. By Carlos Castaneda

The Carlos Castaneda books have floated around colleges for years, and for all I know, still do. A fellow student I can no longer remember pressed the series on me and insisted I read it. I read just enough to think, "This is weird", and pass the dog-earred copies on.

Not someone in my set, though. The group I associated with had one goal. By hook or crook, claw and struggle, weekends lost to study and romances foregone, we would forge a living. We had n
Theresa O'Reilly
Elightening. Profound.
Martin
Oct 09, 2012 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is much more eventual than THE TEACHINGS OF DON JUAN, which is actually a bad thing coming after its idea-driven predecessor. Too much stuff happening, Castaneda getting confused, and too little insight into the ways of Don Juan. Don Juan does talk a lot but nothing much could be gleaned from it compared to the first book.

But the upside is that the character of Carlos Castaneda himself acts as a foil for ourselves, when Don Juan criticizes or laughs at Carlos, we all feel Don Juan laug
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • After All These Years
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • Bad Twin
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • Lancelot
  • Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices
  • The Moon Pool
Carlos Castaneda (December 25, 1925 – April 27, 1998) was a Peruvian-born American author. Immigration records for Carlos Cesar Arana Castaneda indicate that he was born on December 25, 1925 in Cajamarca, Perú. Records show that his surname was given by his mother Susana Castañeda Navoa. His father was Cesar Arana Burungaray. His surname appears with the ñ in many Hispanic dictionaries, even thoug ...more
More about Carlos Castaneda...

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe

“We are men and our lot in life is to learn and to be hurled into inconceivable new worlds.” 54 likes
“To be a warrior a man has to be, first of all, and rightfully so, keenly aware of his own death. But to be concerned with death would force any one of us to focus on the self and that would be debilitating. So the next thing one needs to be a warrior is detachment. The idea of imminent death, instead of becoming an obsession, becomes an indifference.
Now you must detach yourself; detach yourself from everything. Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he is incapable of abandoning himself to anything. Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he can't deny himself anything. A man of that sort, however, does not crave, for he has acquired a silent lust for life and for all things of life. He knows his death is stalking him and won't give him time to cling to anything, so he tries, without craving, all of everything.”
15 likes