Start by marking “The Case of the Lazy Lover” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Lazy Lover

The Case of the Lazy Lover (Perry Mason #30)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  10 reviews
MURDER WITH COMPLICATIONS
When Perry Mason receives two mysterious checks from Lola Allred, a woman he's never heard of, he smells trouble. A visit from Lola's husband reveals that she has run away with her daughter's boyfriend--a key witness in an ongoing lawsuit.
The mystery deepens when the bank finds that one of the checks is forged. Yet when homicide finally does rear i
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published March 12th 1981 by Ballantine Books (Mm) (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Lazy Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Lazy Lover

Tony
THE CASE OF THE LAZY LOVER. (1947). Erle Stanley Gardner. ****.
On the ffep of this edition, there is a blurb in caps: “The Only Author Who Outsells Agatha Christie, Harold Robbins, Barbara Cartland, and Louis L’Amour Combined.” They could probably thrown in T. S. Eliot and Anthony Trollope, too, and still have been correct. I’m not sure what the thrust of such statements is, but It’s likely to be someone who hasn’t read any of the Perry Mason novels and is embarrassed into doing so. Anyway… this
Ed
#30 in the Perry Mason series. A complex yarn with a client who has trouble telling the truth. That may sound like a lot of Perry Mason tales, but this one ups the ante. Keep an eye on the daughter, the father says her mother has eloped with her boyfriend. Watch the mother, she sent a retainer check to Perry Mason - or was it two checks - and for what? Check out the father - in litigation with everyone - does he have an ally? And what of the boyfriend - everyone is looking for him, except the gi ...more
Ancie
Like Calvin asked me, 'Isn't it frustrating to read an entire story n still not know who actually did it?' :)
Yes, it would have been better if Gardner had told us the culprit too. As of now, v r free to imagine whosoever. Just that it isn't his client! Sigh!
Stacy
This book was hanging around my bed for ages and I brought it on this trip with the idea of discarding it. It and the Follett are left behind at the cottage we were renting in England. I started to skim near the end as everyone kept telling us what happened on the road and their version of who had done what and who did the murder. I that point, I didn't really care. I did get a kick out of the setting, with its dial phones, women wearing gloves and endless smoking.
Joy
It was such fun to be back in the detective genre. I believe this was my first Perry Mason book. From infrequent viewing of the TV series, I just pictures Mason in dramatic courtroom revelations, but in this book he is doing the basic detective work. Good characters and surprise ending.
Barbara
Classic Perry Mason ... does anyone tell the truth ...

This one had me guessing to the end, an intricate tale with many threads and the wonderful style of Erle Stanley Gardner.
Tony Boskovich
Finally!!! We were given all the clues to figure it out. It took 30 novels to do it, but it was worth it.
Mary
Another typical outing...I am getting better at spotting the pivotal clues!
Rijo John
Good mystery, nice analysis of clues as well. Good read!!
Pratik Burman
Love the author and the character :)
Josh
Josh added it
Nov 20, 2014
Dule
Dule added it
Nov 04, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sabastin
Sabastin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Pallavi
Pallavi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rushit
Rushit marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Seafire (John Gardner's Bond, #14)
  • And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe #30)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald Mystery #4)
  • Love's Lovely Counterfeit
  • Yesterday's Spy
  • The R Document
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • The Spy in the Ointment
  • Savage Interlude

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)