Start by marking “The Case of the Terrified Typist” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Terrified Typist

The Case of the Terrified Typist (Perry Mason #49)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Perry hires a temporary typist who flees in a panic, leaving behind a pair of diamonds hidden in a wad of chewing gum. Down the hall from Perry's office, a co-owner of a gem importing company has been charged in a smuggling scheme, and with murdering his accomplice. Mason agrees to defend the accused man, who would rather die than cooperate. And he just might--unless Mason ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published March 12th 1987 by Ballantine (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Terrified Typist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Terrified Typist

Ed
#49 in the Perry Mason series. The terrified typist of the title was a young woman mistaken by Mason's staff for a typist from a temp agency. Her additions to the story are not fully developed and her major contribution may be in the alliterative title. This is no better than average for the series but there is a unique way in which Perry escapes a guilty murder verdict for his client.

Perry Mason series - Mason is in a quandary: one of his office typists is out sick and the other is too overwhel
Asra Ghouse
There were two reasons why I badly wanted to read this book. Back in 2001, I was on this mission to complete the entire collection of Perry Mason series. This happened to be the only book that I couldn't get my hands on. Another reason being the result of a quiz I had taken on Perry Mason which said this case was... er... the most difficult of Perry's caes. (view spoiler)

Finally, in 2003 I got my hands on this book. To be honest, I wasn'
Jim
Mar 22, 2008 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Why anyone would read this is a curiosity to me even as I read it. The characters are stiff as wood. The courtroom scenes are largely taken up with bickering about the rules of evidence. The stories are dated.

One character is asked if he can prove that he went to bed, and he announces with ruffled virtue, "Of course not, Mr. Mason, I am a single man! I sleep alone." Of course he is lyiung. Given that these books were written in the age of Mickey Spillane, that must have sounded silly even then.
Freya
I'd have never guessed the ending of this book. Right to the end it seems Mason has been bested for the first time. His client found guilty of first degree murder, then out of the blue it all changes.

The tension between Hamilton Burger (the DA) and Mason has been building up with Mason never losing and Burger constantly looking out for a way to make Mason lose over last 48 books. In this one it seemed that Burger had finally had his day.

This book was fun.
شريف ثابت
لولا ثغرتين واضحتين:

- إنتفاء المبرر القوى المقنع لإيمان بيرى ميسون الأعمى ببراءة موكله دوين جيفرسون

- عدم وجود سبب لكشفه حقيقة اختطاف موكله واستبداله بجيمس كانكيد

لولا هاتين الثغرتين لاختلف التقييم.. الرواية شديدة الإمتاعبشخصياتها، بتفق وتلاحق الأحداث، بالمبارزة العقلية القانونية بين بيرى ميسون وخصمه هاميلتون بريجر المدعى العام، بالترجمة الجيدة، بالصفحات الصفراء المهترئة لطبعة روايات الهلال بتاريخ 1967
Dorothea
Not terribly impressed by the first Erle Stanley Gardner mystery I've read. I'm sure there must be better ones to start with, though! But I picked this up by chance in a secondhand bookstore. As a paralegal in a law firm, I enjoy reading about the workaday details of running a firm in past times. As this story begins with a shift worked in Perry Mason's office by, apparently, a typist from an agency, there are plenty of such interesting details.

This was about the only thing I really liked about
Giri Dv
Very very poor narrative. Highly confusing. Kincaid impersonates the defendant and gets indicted for murder. Why would anybody play an impersonation like that? What happened to Baxter? Is he really dead? If Kincaid killed him, why would he stick around and get arrested?

Many Perry Mason stories come with confusing narratives. You can easily lose track after some time. Ultimately you make some sense of the story. But this book seems to be worst of all.

Perry Mason books normally come with use of i
Lorilee
I really liked this one, it started off with a bang.
Kathy
I went through a Perry Mason binge many years ago. I know I missed some, though, and this must be one. It doesn't seem familiar, and I was immediately hooked.

This was good, not the best I ever read. Sure an eye-opener to be reminded of attitudes towards women and people from other countries that were openly practiced in the 1950's. I don't remember Gardner portraying Mason as a god who had to suffer through life with idiots, as he is in this book. Maybe I need to revisit this series, out of curi
Eman Aboul Saad
A star for the plot twist at the end, that's it. The characters sound like robots with a tendency to state the obvious while other somewhat unexplainable stuff are left unexplained. At times the dialogue sounds overly formal and I don't know why Perry Mason had to address Della at the end of every sentence almost every.single.time while talking to her. I only finished it because I don't like to leave books unfinished and it wasn't too long.
Doug Dams
Perry Mason finds a nervous typist in his office and when she suddenly vanishes he becomes curious. He discovers she was never hired by Stella and that diamonds are stuck under the desk she used, with chewing gum. Mason tries to find the owner of the diamonds and naturally ends up in court defending a man for murder. How the diamonds, the murder and the client are related all comes out in the courtroom. A good story.
Kunal Sen
apart from a bizarre introduction, an impenetrable client and a next to impossible defense, this case is important for being historically the only case that Mason loses. But then again, does he? A most intriguing twist in the end quickly succeeds another unexpected one just before it and leads us to a singular conclusion. One of the must-reads in the Perry Mason cannon.
DavidO
Mason actually loses this case (not a spoiler, that info is on the back cover). Lots of twists and turns and Mason once again gets saddled with a horrible client. Maybe his worst yet.

Sadly I had to bury this book in the trash when I finished it. It's an old 35 cent copy and the pages were literally falling out as I read. I gave it a little funeral.
George
# 49 in the Perry Mason mystery series in which the lawyer manages to win another case. In this one, his client is suspected of murder and, as usual, gets his client acquitted while also solving the case. Many twists as Mason unravels the issues to acquit his client who appears in his office and is mistaken for a requested pool typist.
Rebecca Fieler
One of my few memories of my great-grandmother was her watching episodes of Perry Mason over and over. Every so often you need a book that is quick and comfortable, and I guess that was it for me. I grew up with murder mysteries on TV, and sometimes it is nice to backtrack from the movie to the book.
Rijo John
Pretty good again - very dramatic ending!
Jeffrey Marks
Not one of the best. The ending felt rushed and the deductive processes were not really shown. Gardner has Mason "lose" the case, but then corrects the situation by a plot twist.
Ana
I read every book in this series in junior high from the library. I was done reading all the Nancy Drews and i really liked all the Perry Mason books too.
Perry Mason solves the case of multiple mistaken identities. This was really complicated, but not in a way that made me care about understanding.
Vincent Darlage
Even though I expected it (I read this before back in 1999), it was still a shock to have the jury come in with a verdict of guilty...
Eva
"Perry Mason a vyľakaná pisárka"
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
  • Fire in the Blood (Scott Cullen Mysteries #3)
  • The Chinese Orange Mystery
  • Fraudster
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • Smallbone Deceased (Inspector Hazelrigg, #4)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • Beast In View
  • Compass Box Killer (Inspector Virkar, #1)
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • American Evita
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
  • Last Seen Wearing
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • The Genius Thieves (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #9)
  • Lament For A Maker (Sir John Appleby, #3)
  • The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories
  • Dog Tags
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series)