Start by marking “The Case of the Reluctant Model” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Reluctant Model

The Case of the Reluctant Model (Perry Mason #66)

Mason gets involved in a case of slander when an art dealer says a painting by Phellipe Feteet is a fake. When Mason goes to the apartment of the main witness all he finds is a very dead body.
Published 1970 by Pan (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Reluctant Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Reluctant Model

Bob
Apr 10, 2017 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense) may find the writing style here a bit dry. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is one of the latest ones, written in 1962.

This story definitely does N
Evelyn
Feb 02, 2016 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This late Perry Mason mystery has a plot that is a variation of a familiar theme in the series, a damsel in distress who is the victim of a blackmailer due to an indiscretion and involved in a scam, which in this case attempts to victimize Perry Mason. It is better written than many of the books in the series from the 1950s and 1960s, and contains a number of interesting plot twists and turns which keep the reader guessing about the identity of the murderer although some of the characters are st ...more
Mahasweta
Feb 16, 2017 Mahasweta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mi-tesoro
I have been a Perry Mason fan since school days. So, I can be quite biased while rating these books. I like the pace and the twists & turns in these books. You cannot figure out who the real killer is till the end, and most times it is someone who'd have never crossed your mind as a killer. This book maintains the same pace and twists. As always, Gardner entertains with great courtroom drama and Mason's shrewd tactics that leaves the DA Hamilton Burger worked up. This book might not be the b ...more
Ed
Jan 09, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#66 in the Perry Mason series. Quite a bit of this entry is concerned with art fraud and it's a while before the obvious bad guy is murdered. Perry pulls an unusual legal tactic by putting his client on the stand in a preliminary hearing - leading to fun byplay between Mason and the judge. There has been some romancing between Perry and Della in the past but now he announces he will escort her to her apartment and "I believe there is an almost universal custom of collecting a good-night kiss fro ...more
Rusty
Mar 11, 2011 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Love these oldies but goodies. Rarely can I determine out who committed the murder. Perhaps it's because the author was a criminal lawyer himself who wrote 146 books, 85 of which had Perry Mason as the protagonist. This one is no different. However, the story begins with an original painting that is proclaimed to be a copy. The case becomes more convoluted when the person making that statement is shot three times in the back in the apartment of a beautiful young woman named Maxine Lindsay. Miss ...more
Mark
Jul 02, 2015 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was something that kept my interest until the end. With all of the names, though, it got to be a bit confusing. And the author didn't follow up with what happened to the model after the charges were dropped. It's very interesting, too, to see the way that women are "devalued" or stereotyped in this book. My, how things have changed. Still, I'm glad I read it.
Vincent Darlage
An excellent Perry Mason mystery. Some shocking developments, and an interesting who-done-it, but not quite as spectacular as a few others. I like the relationship Mason has with Tragg. I liked the plot twist of having Mason fall victim to a con game - and watching him fight to get out of being made out a fool was interesting. I last read this 22 years ago.
Doug Dams
Perry Mason gets involved in a slander case, counterfeit art work, and then a murder. A beautiful art student and model is accused and the chase is on as Perry Mason rushes to find the solution before his client is convicted. It's an okay story but not the best of the Perry Mason stories.
Huma
Dec 17, 2011 Huma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perry-mason, e-book
Good book, Mason plays with high stakes, putting the defendant on stand in the preliminary.

We also catch a glimpse of Hamilton Burger, Mason's nemesis and the attorney general who wants to get him disbarred.
Sergey
Interesting mystery, but not as enjoyable.
Danny Reid
Definitely a post-TV show entry with a lot more character interplay, but the ending is underwhelming and the 'beatnik' visit archaic. Lots of noticeable transcription errors in the Kindle version.
Richa
Jul 11, 2016 Richa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a little repetetive with regards to rigor mortis. It starts out quite simple, becoming complicated at the end. Things do connect... but.. well... I didn't enjoy it as much.
Unknown
Actually I have ths book in hardback. I've collected a couple dozen that I read from time to time. This not the best Mason novel, but is fairly good.I enjoy reading older mysteries.
Jim
Feb 03, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. Erle Stanley Gardner never disappoints.
Les Anderson
Mason pulls one of the biggest tricks on Hamilton Burger and gets away with it! Like so many Mason stories, it's basically only a stalling tactic and the murderer is revealed outside court.
Katie
Jul 22, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
It's easy to see why Gardner leads the genre in sales. Tightly crafted, snappy dialogue, lots of twists - and all in less than 200 pages.
Shan Shwe
Shan Shwe rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Bookworm
Bookworm rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Balbesia
Balbesia rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Anie
Anie rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Chinmay
Chinmay rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Swastika Sharma
Swastika Sharma rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Kanica
Kanica rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Harold White
Harold White rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Amara
Amara rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Nanilee Robarge
Nanilee Robarge rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2012
Ramakant Ghatol
Ramakant Ghatol rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Lauren Barrett
Lauren Barrett rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
  • The Bitter Winds of Love
  • The R Document
  • The Mating Season (Kansas, Americana, #16)
  • العقل القوي
  • Alexander The Great's Art Of Strategy
  • The Rough Guide to Italy
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • The Power of Simplicity: A Management Guide to Cutting Through the Nonsense & Doing Things Right
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand
  • A. R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)
  • Little Pink House: A True Story of Defiance and Courage
  • False Convictions (Casey Jordan, #3)
  • Fallen Angel

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 86 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece