Start by marking “The Statue” as Want to Read:
The Statue

The Statue

Freelance journalist, Tristan Church, wants to expose Galloway Mental Hospital’s dirty secrets. Teaming up with broody photographer, Mark, promises other perks. A ten year relationship with high school sweetheart, Eli, no longer offers Tristan the excitement he craves. Mark made his intentions clear and Tristan is close to giving in to his advances.

One morning at ‘The Gall
Published May 24th 2012 by Scarlet Tie Books

To ask other readers questions about The Statue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Statue

Vio
Aug 18, 2012 Vio rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vio by: Deeze
Loved it, even if I had every emotion squeezed out of me, the Statue is a riveting and beautiful romance that moved me to tears. There were a few heart stopping moments but there was also an uplifting and genuine feeling of hope. Confronting at times but also sweetly tender to balance out the story its a fabulous inspiring story. Tristan, Zane and Eli are wonderful characters in their own right but it was Zane for me all the way.

I have said this before Zathyn Priest has a gift, a wonderfully ta
Bev
Feb 26, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bev by: Deeze
Shelves: m-m, happy-ever-after

A short review for a short book. 4.5 stars from me for this one.

I really enjoyed it, and I seem to have turned into a Zathyn Priest devotee, almost without me realising it!! This was the story of Tristan and Eli's relationship which had gone stale, but which ultimately rose like a Phoenix from the ashes, thanks to the help of a young man in a mental hospital. I did so wish for Zane's sake that Lucas could've been a real person, and not a figment of his imagination. Yet another keeper on the kind
Erica Pike
May 30, 2012 Erica Pike rated it it was amazing
I don't think I can praise this story enough. The writing, characters, graphics, events, emotions, storyline... Perfection. I recommend reading the graphic version - the pictures are breathtaking.
julio
Feb 28, 2013 julio marked it as to-read
Shelves: shorts
There are, like, 18 different men mentioned in the blurb.

*super side-eye*
Deeze
I love stories that can make me cry but leave me laughing and smiling by the end. The Statue is one of those stories. It amazes me that Zathyn Priest can pack so much into so few pages.

The story of Tristan and Eli is a pretty common one. They have been together 10 years and Tristan looses sight of what he has in favour of what he thinks he wants. Their story is all too easy to see happening.

Zane and Lucas story is completely different and totally heartbreaking. Their love is pulled apart by well
Cindi
May 25, 2012 Cindi rated it it was amazing
It is no secret that I am a huge fan of this author. If anyone asks me for a book recommendation my response is always "Zathyn Priest. Pick one." So I was very happy when he announced that this book was coming out. One thing I love about him is that he cares more about the quality of his work than the quantity. Which means that he doesn't do what seems like a book a week as some authors do just to say they have something new out. Sure, it sometimes takes awhile for a new book to come out but it ...more
Susan65
May 25, 2012 Susan65 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished The Statue and it was simply amazing. I was blown away at all the twists and turns (even though by now I know I shouldn't be). It has everything I love in a book, a touch of angst, an original storyline, real emotions, being kept on my toes...and never knowing what was gonna happen next.

Needless to say, I loved it and Zathyn Priest has not lost his touch. BRAVO!!!

And the graphics were insanely good; they made it so much easier to "picture" in my mind exactly what what happen
Ije the Devourer of Books
Jan 01, 2015 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it it was amazing
This short book was an excellent way to start the new year. It is a story of love neglected, nearly lost and then beautifully redeemed.

I loved it but most of all i loved the way the story included people with mental health conditions. Sometimes we forget that ill health does not prevent the ability to love and that love can come in diverse ways.

I hope all the books that I will read for the rest of my reading year will be as satisfying as this one.
Macky
I can't really find the words to express how wonderful this book is. Zathyn has penned a moving and oh so poignant story about two men who have both lost the loves of their lives, one because he allows complacency and boredom to blind him from his one and only true love, causing his long term lover to leave him, and one because his own damaged mind cruelly puts him in the path of others who have the authority to chemically force his true love away, resulting in him believing his lover to be trap ...more
Arthur
May 26, 2012 Arthur rated it it was amazing
What a great short book this is.

What is reality? Is there only one reality for everyone? Or each has their own, and what we see independently are just a shared reality? Can one keep the other's reality from being exist? Can one's reality be a stigma? Well, this is an m/m book review. But those questions are central in this book, so I think it's good to get them out first.

This book has many layers and dimensions. As a literature, perhaps it can be used in college-level introduction to philosophy,
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
May 29, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, ebook
I have yet to be disappointed by one of Zathyn's books. This is another wonderfully colorful story to add to my collection. I chose to read the text version, as opposed to the graphic version, and the vivid descriptions painted such a clear picture of things that I was drawn right in. I felt as though I was right alongside Tristan, especially walking through the Gallows for that first time.

Eli is the main guy with the obvious problems, until he meets sweet Zane and has a bit of a wake up call.
Monika
Jun 06, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing
*big sigh* Zathyn Priest has done it again. I don’t think it’s possible for this author to write anything I won’t love. The Statue is the most heartbreakingly sad, beautifully romantic, story I’ve ever read.It is the perfect example of how friendship and love can help you overcome what appear to be insurmountable obstacles. I’m amazed at how much emotion Zathyn can put into so few pages, I have read novels that weren’t able to accomplish this.

I highly recommend The Statue and anything else Zathy
Darkm
May 25, 2012 Darkm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Loved this book and loved very much the graphic edition.
Sometimes the routine of everyday life makes us take things for granted and only when we lose them we realise how much all those simple small things mattered.
This is the journey Tristan has to take, and those are the things he has to learn. Meanwhile he meets someone who's going to change his life: Zane.
Zane is a character that is impossible not to love and cherish. I love how the author shows us different people, sometimes flawed people, a
R.B.
Jun 10, 2012 R.B. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to R.B. by: Deeze
Reading this short story was raw pain and happiness at once. I can't forget to mention the pictures that author made for graphic version, they were beautiful. I like the one where Lucas holds Zane in his embrace the most.
Edina Rose
May 26, 2012 Edina Rose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Great short.

We have two stories in one: the story of 19 year old Zane and Lucas, and the story of Tristan and Eli.

Tristan is an ambitious journalist with big dreams. He has been with mechanic Eli, his childhood sweetheart, for 10 years. Idyllic? No. While Eli has being angling for more commitment, Tristan was never even sure of what he wanted. One thing is sure, he didn't want to be too tied up, even to Eli. It's been a while already that they realised they are not on the same wave, they are no
Kinny
May 25, 2012 Kinny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
At $2.95 this story is a STEAL!!! The cover is gorgeous and the narrator/ lead character Tristan is either someone we could identify with at a point in our lives or someone we know and fell in love with at some point. He is self-absorbed, looking for excitement brat and the only reason he hasn't totally dropped his long time partner Eli who he now finds boring is because Eli is the one who supports them both. Well Eli finds out about the 'almost' cheating with asshole Mark and leaves him.

It take
Shannon
May 25, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Oh my god!! What a terrific little book. Made me cry like a big ole baby. Not really in a sad way, but more a heartbreaking way!! Loved it.
Dee

Judging by the cover, I didn’t really know what to expect when I downloaded this story, but the blurb called to me. And I’m so pleased it did.

The story is told in first person and completely from Tristan’s point-of-view, and oh wow what a trip. The man put himself, and me, through an emotional wringer. The saying the grass isn’t always greener fits the theme of this story perfectly. I’m sure anyone who has ever been in a stale relationship and has wondered if the sexy stranger might be
Gabbi

5+ Stars

Once in a while I am privileged to come across a book that truly melts my heart. I read a lot, and there are many books I’ll even call a favorite of mine, but it’s rare that a book whose characters, and the story that they share, will live long with me long after I’ve finished reading the novel. For me, The Statue is one of those books. I loved it so much, as soon as I finished it, I immediately read it again. And again. Since the blurb does an out
Mika
Aug 05, 2012 Mika rated it it was amazing
Love it! This story has it all - love, friendship, betrayal, villains, redemption.

Tristan's life is heading in one direction. His biggest debate is whether or not to end his 10 year relationship with boyfriend Eli and pursue something more exciting. While wanting to write an article on Galloway Mental Hospital, Tristan meets Zane and they become friends. He he realizes that life without Eli is not what he thought it would be. Through his friendship with Zane, Tristan learns what is important in
Cheryl Hart
Jan 08, 2013 Cheryl Hart rated it it was amazing
There is nothing I dislike about this novella. The writing style, the story, the characters and the artwork are all exquisite.

Zane is in love. The only problem is that the person he is in love with exists only inside his head. His parents, his psychiatrist and the nurses at the mental hospital where he is a patient are all trying to take Lucas away from him.

But love is such an abstract thing. You can't see it or feel it, smell it or touch it so how do you know that love exists at all, or that l
Jane (PS)
Apr 11, 2013 Jane (PS) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jane (PS) by: romanceandcoffee
Shelves: mm
Zathyn Priest's books get me every time, whatever he chooses to focus on.

This story addresses the serious issue of mental illness and how it is underfunded, overlooked and often trivialised by the ignorant. With tears in my eyes as I read this lovely story, I was obviously moved by both the MC and his secondary character. Whilst I would still classify this as romance, it is actually more a 'romantic' story. Most of the focus is on the development of one person with significant help from a very
AquaScales
May 27, 2012 AquaScales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disability
Full disclosure, I love Zathryn Priest's stories. This one had the added plus of taking a good hard look at mental illness as an important part of the story. You really felt the pain of the characters as they were going through their trials. The illustrations were an added bonus.
Becky Condit
Dec 22, 2016 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing
The Statue is a somewhat bittersweet short story, but it also has an HEA ending. That type of writing is difficult to pull off so kudos to Zathyn Priest. There are four main characters.
Tristin is a reporter who has had a ten year relationship with Eli. They met as teenagers and were each other’s first everything: kiss, sex, and love. Lately their life together has begun to separate them and Tristin has had thoughts of flirting or even more with other men, particularly with a photographer assigne
Caddy Rowland
Jun 02, 2014 Caddy Rowland rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this novelette. I couldn't put it down until finished.

Zane and Lucas, Tristan and Eli were all so real to me...and that's saying a lot since Lucas only lived in Zane's imagination. Zane, you see, is schizophrenic.

This story shows us that love can be many things: savior, security, best friend, lover. Love many times transcends reality, so who is anyone to say another's love isn't real and worth respecting?

I found this to be a refreshing take on human nature and how we view love.

Tha
Trisha Harrington
Nov 29, 2012 Trisha Harrington rated it it was amazing
Another great Zathyn Priest book, I am really loving this author. The statue is a sad book in many ways. Maybe because it shows the break down of a relationship, and although they eventually reconcile it was hard to read. The book is beautiful and gritty. It shows that love is not all you need. And that sometimes it takes hard work to make a relationship work.

Overall this book was a very good read and beautifully written. :)
Laxmama
Mar 18, 2016 Laxmama rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, male-pov
This is a bittersweet story, kind of a lesson in don't take something/someone for granted. Story told through Tristins POV, he has been with Eli since they were teens, and although its a short book, it has quite a bit of emotion to it. I am impressed how well this is told so quickly and you really understand their relationship, and the character of Tristin through this book. I definitely want to read more from Zathlyn Preist.
Anna
Wow, I have no words. Absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time; it had me crying more than once. There's a reason why Zathyn Priest is one of my favourite authors, and this story right here is the reason why. Highly recommend this short story to everyone.
Moniqee
Jun 04, 2012 Moniqee rated it it was amazing
The reason it deserves my 5 stars because...

I honestly dont like reading short stories because I normally felt underwhelmed after the end of it but Zathyn Priest's The Statue is really GOOD..even to the end
Buda
Aug 20, 2012 Buda rated it it was amazing
If you'll let it, this book will make you think more deeply than you probably have in years. Heartbreaking and soul-restoring all at the same time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Let's Hear It for the Boy
  • Shawn's Voice
  • The Park at Sunrise
  • Two Lips, Indifferent Red
  • Slow Burn
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • Scars (Scars #1)
  • Last Chance (First Impressions, #3)
  • Countdown to Daddies
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • Falling in Love with Crazy
  • Bodies in Space
  • Sink or Swim
  • Bird Meets Cage
  • Not Letting Go (Not Letting Go, #1)
  • Where You Hurt the Most
  • Shy
Zathyn Priest is an Australian writer with severe vampiric tendencies. Absolutely convinced the sun could turn him to a pile of ash, Zathyn prefers to write under the cover of darkness. This serves two purposes, with the first being the afore mentioned sunlight danger, and the second being the fact that nighttime means no annoying phones ringing or people knocking at the door.

Zathyn has written t
More about Zathyn Priest...