Start by marking “Free Love (Olivia Brown, #1)” as Want to Read:
Free Love (Olivia Brown, #1)

Free Love (Olivia Brown #1)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
It's 1920, and excitement fills the winding streets of Greenwich Village, where artists, actors, and writers gather, and romance isn't played by any rules. Free-spirited poet Olivia Brown is determined to experience everything her neighborhood has to offer, even if it means defying more than a few social conventions. Olivia writes her poems, acts in Eugene O'Neill's new pl ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2001 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Free Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Love

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithThe Diviners by Libba BrayThe Paris Wife by Paula McLainThe Chaperone by Laura MoriartyBright Young Things by Anna Godbersen
Best 1920s Historical Fiction
49th out of 108 books — 179 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldTrapping the Butterfly by Debra ParmleyBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieThe Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker
I am '20s, hear me roar!
159th out of 262 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Ariel
Apr 23, 2016 Ariel rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. It reminded me very much of the Phryne Fisher novels. Sassy female investigator (sort of), in the 20s, drinks and takes multiple lovers, bisexual, awesome.

Except it wasn't nearly as good as I wanted it to be. Every single guy, with the exception of Harry, tried to get Oliver to run away with them, declared their undying love. I couldn't even keep the guys straight half the time, they were all just besotted and personality-less. Also, the writing wasn't all tha
Kristen
Jan 31, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! A wonderful flavour of 1920's Grenwich Village, and an absolutely delightful protagonist in Olivia Brown!!

When Olivia Brown, and her friend and housekeeper Mattie inherit a Grenwich Village brownstone from her heretofor unknown great-aunt, they pick up and move in.

The brownstone comes with a tenant, who doesn't pay rent and has been granted life-long tenancy, but Olivia quickly realizes that Harry Melville, Private Investigator, is her kind of people. In fact, she soo
Feathzzz
read while in jail. Actual rating: 3.9
Scilla
Apr 14, 2009 Scilla rated it it was ok
This mystery takes place in Greenwich Village in the 20's. Olivia Brown is a poet who also acts in local theatre and is a free spirit. She lives in a brownstone which she inherited. A detective lives in the bottom floor and the condition of her inheritance was that he stay there. Soon many of Olivia's friends are killed, the dtective is knocked out, and she is a suspect. Fortunately, the detective has many disreputable friends who guard her and all is resolved.
Bibliovixen
Feb 25, 2010 Bibliovixen rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've read in a long time. Terrible poetry, weak plot, under-developed characters. I was trying very hard to like the characters (first clue it's not well-written), but when the main character refers to Sigmund Freud as "Siggie" I quit reading it. I'm sorry I gave up two hours to this book.
Jane
Dec 03, 2010 Jane rated it liked it
Nice little mystery story and a very quick read. Set in early 20th century Greenwich Village about young woman who deals with a transvestite obsessed with being her, murder, bathtub gin and Gene O'Neill.
Ashley FL
Jan 26, 2010 Ashley FL rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this. I love the setting (Greenwich Village in the '20s). But the characters were mostly awful and the writing wasn't very good.

I did like the housekeeper and her policeman beau!
Steph (loves water)
Dec 28, 2012 Steph (loves water) rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, I believe the protagonist is loosely based on my favorite poet, Edna St. Vincent Millay. Good story, good research, I definately need to read the next one.
Donna Siebold
Dec 28, 2012 Donna Siebold rated it did not like it
I thought I would give the Olivia Brown series a go. I like mysteries set in different time periods, but the 20's apparently did not cut it for me. I just found the entire book annoying.
Jonna
Mar 05, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing
If you love British murder mysteries, you will not be disappointed!
Karen
Nov 15, 2010 Karen added it
Interesting take on the politics of the time.
Joyce Wessel
Joyce Wessel rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Kristina S
Kristina S rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 25, 2016
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Hattie
Hattie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Karen Covington
Karen Covington rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Broughps
Broughps rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Jan 16, 2016
Gina Winter
Gina Winter rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Annette Meyers spent sixteen years on Wall Street as an executive search consultant, and is currently an arbitrator with the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD). She is a past president of Sisters in Crime and is secretary of the International Association of Crime Writers.

With her husband Martin Meyers, using the pseudonym Maan Meyers, she writes historical mysteries set in New York
More about Annette Meyers...

Olivia Brown (2 books)
  • Murder Me Now (Olivia Brown, #2)