Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)

Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures #12)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Newly victorious at the Battle of Trafalgar, England now rules the seas and is free to colonize the furthest reaches of the world. Captain Thomas Kydd joins an expedition to take Dutch-held Cape Town, a strategic harbor that will give England a rich trade route to India. With enemies lurking on all sides, Kydd and his men must defend the fragile colony while braving Africa...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2011)

Shane
I picked up this book as I was searching for some information on the British takeover of Dutch South Africa in the early 1800s. I was also looking for a jolly good adventure to bring that period alive. On the first count, I was lucky; there is a lot of historical detail here, factual and fictional; but on the second, I lucked out as that same level of detail and the pre-occupation with nautical intricacies trumps what could have been a very good story.

Given that this is about the twelfth novel i...more
D.w.
I believe my last review of a book in this series I faulted the author for making the sidekick, Renzi, resort to the cliche of spy. Further he also was rather a milksop where before he had been a pillar of strength for the hero, Thomas Kydd.

Well that has changed. Renzi emerged from the shadows and did something worthwhile. I hope that he will continue to do so. As for the rest of the tale, well we see see a great piece of history but I seem to feel that we are being given a little less than a fu...more
Joe Follansbee
This review also appears on Joe Follansbee's blog.

Dramatic retellings of the struggle between Great Britain and France under Napoleon often end with Nelson’s victory at Trafalgar, as if everything naval in the Napoleonic Wars that happened after the great battle was hardly more than a long epilog. But as author Julian Stockwin and many historians see it, the battle opened the gates to a worldwide empire, and in Conquest, Stockwin puts his hero, Capt. Thomas Kydd, at the spearhead.

Kydd, his best...more
Robin Carter
Every year i eagerly await the next installment of Kydd and his sidekick Renzi, this year was no exception.

Conquest ticks all the usual boxes for our duo, unrelenting plot and pace, but always told with passion and historical depth, here is a writer who not only knows his subject but loves it.
After the victory at Trafalgar such a double edged moment for Kydd and England, a great victory but with the great loss of Nelson, what would lie in store?... plenty, this is the dawn of Empire, when Britai...more
Jallioop
Burt
The latest Julian Stockwin novel in his Thomas Paine Kydd series. The quality has been uneven in his last few books, and my English friend doesn't think this is up to the early Kydd stories. We'll find out.

well, we found out. Not up to snuff. Paper thin plotting. Disappointing.
Andy
In the vein of Kydd novels and a good read but the characterisation is now sketchier than in the earlier books.
Oismiffy
Fantastic swashbuckling adventure, as regular Stockwin readers have come to expect.
Donald
Not bad. Better than the other Kydd novels; here, something actually happens.
Fraser Cook
Another page turner from Julian Stockwin. This is a great series.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Antti
Antti marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Wormmy
Wormmy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Stephen Arnott
Stephen Arnott marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Caitlin Sumner
Caitlin Sumner marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
James Murray
James Murray marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 14 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc...more
More about Julian Stockwin...
Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1) Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2) Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3) Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5) Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)