Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)

Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures #12)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar removed the spectre of invasion and England is now free to seek conquests and colonies in the furthest reaches of the world. Captain Kydd joins an expedition to take Dutch-held Cape Town, a strategic imperative to secure the rich trade-route to India.
Published May 1st 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquest

Shane
I picked up this book as I was searching for some information on the British takeover of Dutch South Africa in the early 1800s. I was also looking for a jolly good adventure to bring that period alive. On the first count, I was lucky; there is a lot of historical detail here, factual and fictional; but on the second, I lucked out as that same level of detail and the pre-occupation with nautical intricacies trumps what could have been a very good story.

Given that this is about the twelfth novel i...more
D.w.
I believe my last review of a book in this series I faulted the author for making the sidekick, Renzi, resort to the cliche of spy. Further he also was rather a milksop where before he had been a pillar of strength for the hero, Thomas Kydd.

Well that has changed. Renzi emerged from the shadows and did something worthwhile. I hope that he will continue to do so. As for the rest of the tale, well we see see a great piece of history but I seem to feel that we are being given a little less than a fu...more
Joe Follansbee
This review also appears on Joe Follansbee's blog.

Dramatic retellings of the struggle between Great Britain and France under Napoleon often end with Nelson’s victory at Trafalgar, as if everything naval in the Napoleonic Wars that happened after the great battle was hardly more than a long epilog. But as author Julian Stockwin and many historians see it, the battle opened the gates to a worldwide empire, and in Conquest, Stockwin puts his hero, Capt. Thomas Kydd, at the spearhead.

Kydd, his best...more
Robin Carter
Every year i eagerly await the next installment of Kydd and his sidekick Renzi, this year was no exception.

Conquest ticks all the usual boxes for our duo, unrelenting plot and pace, but always told with passion and historical depth, here is a writer who not only knows his subject but loves it.
After the victory at Trafalgar such a double edged moment for Kydd and England, a great victory but with the great loss of Nelson, what would lie in store?... plenty, this is the dawn of Empire, when Britai...more
Jallioop
Burt
The latest Julian Stockwin novel in his Thomas Paine Kydd series. The quality has been uneven in his last few books, and my English friend doesn't think this is up to the early Kydd stories. We'll find out.

well, we found out. Not up to snuff. Paper thin plotting. Disappointing.
Andy
In the vein of Kydd novels and a good read but the characterisation is now sketchier than in the earlier books.
Oismiffy
Fantastic swashbuckling adventure, as regular Stockwin readers have come to expect.
Donald
Not bad. Better than the other Kydd novels; here, something actually happens.
Fraser Cook
Another page turner from Julian Stockwin. This is a great series.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Natalia Maruta
Natalia Maruta marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kevin Varley
Kevin Varley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Dai
Dai added it
Jun 14, 2014
Magda Kossakowska
Magda Kossakowska marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Carl
Carl is currently reading it
May 23, 2014
K.c. Scott
K.c. Scott marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 14 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc...more
More about Julian Stockwin...
Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1) Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2) Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3) Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5) Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)