Start by marking “My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)” as Want to Read:
My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)

My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  2,576 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Kidnapped in Space?

Peter Thompson has had some pretty weird teachers in his time. By the time he discovers that his newest teacher glows in the dark, he’s flying away from Earth in a spaceship full of aliens and there’s no one he can call. How do you report an alien to the F.B.I. anyway?

Before Peter can do anything, he’s taken on the strangest field trip of his life! His f
Published October 1st 1991 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about My Teacher Glows in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Teacher Glows in the Dark

Pandora
Jan 26, 2009 Pandora rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-2nd-floor
Covers the same time span as My Teacher Fried My Brians only now we find out what happened to Peter when he left for outer space. This does mean the book loops back to the ending of My Teacher Fried My Brians but, the loop is handled pretty well.

Spoiler Alert:

The book does contain some good philosophy of about why humans are so messed up. Covers the same ground as Alan Dean Foster covered in many of his books. Of course Alan Dean Foster was writing for adults and is a sci-fi writer so the books
Colleen
Apr 06, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
I think the best way to characterize what well-written sci-fi this is (while still perfectly enjoyable for any 4th-6th grade-ish aged kid) is that the issue of going to the bathroom on an alien spaceship is handled logically and humorously. Also, I will forever give Coville credit for describing the 'wiki-walk' phenomenon at least a decade before such a thing existed, in the scene in which nerdy protagonist Peter gets understandably lost in the aliens' virtual reality encyclopedia.

Coville seems
Myles
Jan 16, 2011 Myles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, skiffy
In the third book of the series we finally get to the bottom of where the aliens come from and why they were on Earth infiltrating a middle class American school system.

We also get to hear from Peter Thompson and just what he was up to in the five months between his running off with Broxholm at the end of My Teacher is an Alien and when he showed up at the end of My Teacher Fried My Brains. Turns out, it wasn't much. Coville uses this book to mostly introduce a series of wacky alien species and
Books Kids Like
While Duncan Dougal has a mind-full of trouble on earth, Peter Thompson is millions of miles away on the space station New Jersey where he learns of Earth's impending doom. Human brain capacity has allowed earthlings to develop scientifically much faster than any other "people." Yet, their lack of civility towards one another has the space community in an uproar. Many fear that earthling space travel will lead to interplanetary wars. Some aliens are calling for earth's destruction. Others are ad ...more
Anna Kozlowska
This is my science fiction book. My Teacher Glows in the Dark turns out to be an interesting story about Peter Thompson and his adventure in space. Peter willingly gets kidnapped in a spaceship, but somehow enjoys it and goes through cool experiences, like getting a language implant and understanding alien’s words, gestures and expressions or traveling in a transcendental elevator. While I was much hesitant about this type of a genre, I enjoyed it very much. My Teacher Glows in the Dark is an ab ...more
Sri
Apr 29, 2010 Sri rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Sayang ini buku yang ketiga. Setelah selesai membacanya aku jadi kepengin baca dari buku pertama. Lumayan menarik ceritanya. Lumayan seru dan penuh imajinasi. Alien-alien-nya selain aneh dalam segi wujud, gesture mereka juga aneh-aneh. Sayang sampai akhir buku aku masih nggak ngerti kenapa Hoo Lan jadi sakit setelah berusaha bertelepati dengan Peter a.k.a Krepta. Mungkin di buku selanjutnya dibahas?
Aku juga nggak ngerti kenapa Peter sebel cenderung benci pada ayahnya. Mungkin di buku pertama dan
John
Apr 15, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Odd, the workings of serendipity. This came off the pile just now immediately after Jack McDevitt's Cauldron, and I realize that in a way they're not so dissimilar in terms of plot. This time it's a kid, Peter, who's transported to the far reaches of the galaxy, where He Has Adventures. A mighty difference is that this book can't be more than about 20% of the length of McDevitt's. It's also far more lightly written (and has better jokes). One could make the same sort of criticisms of it, I guess ...more
Kressel Housman
This series just gets better and better! It's the third in the My Teacher Is An Alien series, this one told from the POV of Peter, the bullied nerd. How's this for a quote:

"All these guys picking on smart kids and calling them geeks and dweebs are going to grow up and want to know why they don't do something about the terrible state the world is in. I can tell you why. By the time they grow up, most of the kids who realy could have changed things are wrecked."

And then picked-on Peter gets his ch
Daniel
Nov 30, 2007 Daniel rated it really liked it
Although I really like Bruce Coville books, I had put off reading this because I thought, from the title, that it was going to be one of his silly books. Instead, it was some pretty serious, youthful, sci-fi, and I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. The book actually deals with a young boy's perceptions of loneliness, friendship, and girls -- all within the environment of space, aliens, and the end of the world.

I'm sorry, now, that I didn't read the other two books in the series first. M
Mike Kalmbach
Jan 21, 2012 Mike Kalmbach rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: middle grade students, especially those who have ever felt like an outcast
Recommended to Mike by: Steve Juhas
This book continues where the first one left off, with Peter taking off into space. I loved the descriptions of alien technology in this book--and for a time before the Internet, Coville had a pretty accurate idea of how certain technologies might look when computers talk to each other. This book was one of the first that set me on a course of understanding technology, and helped shape who I am today.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
The book's more of a recap of what happened between the first and second books.
What happened while Peter was in space? Well, in the book it tells us just that. While Peter makes some new friends and tries getting used to his new life in space, he's told there's a debate going on that has to do with the fate of Earth. At times the story did get a little out there, but still it's a kids book, so they'll like it. Just read the other two books before reading this.
Arlian
Nov 08, 2012 Arlian rated it it was amazing
It's very interesting to be re-reading this book now, as someone who is anti-humanist, and this is really SUCH a humanist book. Yet, it still made me cry. Perhaps it's just left-over love of it from my childhood, when I read it literally dozens of times over the course of 10 years, or maybe it's just the simple, clear way it talks about the mixed up feelings we people--and me in particular--have inside...but I loved it, inspite of it's questionable politics...
Katherine
Aug 27, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Probably the most "science-fictiony" of the series. A lot of the tropes (FTL travel through hyperspace "jumps", the idea of humanity being judged as lacking by aliens, the fish-out-of-water trappings) feel familiar once one becomes more acquainted with science fiction as a whole, but they're executed well and make for an excellent gateway for kids (especially those of us who were more inclined to identify with Peter than Susan or Duncan.)
Vernon Ray
May 20, 2009 Vernon Ray rated it really liked it
This one has a kind of middle book sag, but it is great as a build up to My Teacher Flunked the Planet because it's for kids it's a quick read, but it has some interesting philosophy questions.
Allison
Nov 30, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago before I knew there were four in the series (and that this one was the third book) and loved it. I've read it many times since, and I just read it again yesterday for fun. I don't know it's nostalgia that makes me like it so much, but this and the other three books are a fun time!
Shelli
Jan 26, 2011 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Book three picks off where book two left off. This is a series that needs to be read in order to appreciate! Can't wait to read book four, the conclusion of this amazing science fiction for young readers series. Will the Interplanetary Council decide Earth is too big of a threat an blow up the plant or leave us to do that ourselves???
Jessica
Jul 24, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The My Teacher Is An Alien series has enough juvenile humor to provoke laughs at words like "poot," and enough serious content to make this book stay with you, even as you grow up. There are moments in the text I still recall vividly. It's a really wonderful quartet from Bruce Coville.
Blake
Sep 14, 2010 Blake rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite of the series so far. Aliens galore, a giant spaceship. I remembered a lot more about this book than the others I read all those years ago. I just started rereading the final book. I remember absolutely nothing about it.
 ★ jazz ★
Jun 09, 2012 ★ jazz ★ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and those who love a good kid's story.
The third in a great kid's series "My teacher is an Alien" quartet. A fun read. As well as, showing that different doesn't mean scary, bad, nasty, horrible. But, can mean opportunities, change for the better, growth/learning.
John D
May 10, 2010 John D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a good book because its about this kid that is a human and his teacher is an alien and he can glow in the dark so he knows that he is a alien and askes him if he can go with him to the galaxy and he said yes so he meets weird aliens and passes down to a big journey
Jessica Bender
This is the first Bruce Coville book I knew about. My 2nd grade teacher read it to us and after that I wanted every book he ever wrote... I still go back to read them occaisionally, they're fun, quick reads.
Nina Sedlacek
May 16, 2012 Nina Sedlacek rated it it was amazing
I thought I was a badass for getting through this HUGE book in first grade. Bought a copy for myself a year ago and see it's thinner than my cellphone, oops. Fond memories of reading this with my dad though.
Colton Kema
Nov 09, 2014 Colton Kema rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those books that i coudnt put down. I liked this book because it was out there and talked about an apocalypse that might happen. This book is part of a four book series. You can pick up anyone of the books and know exactly whats going.
Melissa
Feb 24, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Bruve Coville delivers yet again, another book that is perfect for entertaining the young adult genre. I found this at my book library for .25 cents, so I had to pick it up. I'm glad I read it, took me back to middle school when I read his other works.
Naomi
Apr 15, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-stories
Re-reading the whole "My Teacher is an Alien" series right now, which I haven't read since middle school. It's just as fun as it was then, colorful, full of action and totally imaginative. Also full of some interesting philosophy and ideas about humans and space and how aliens might perceive us...
Amy
I remember reading this over and over as a kid. It was one of my favorite books. This is the first book that I read and cried over. I have to say it was one of my favorites in the late primary grades.
Carol
Dec 21, 2007 Carol rated it it was amazing
The first book in the series that I actually read - thoroughly enjoyed it and ended up buying all of them.
June
Jun 26, 2009 June rated it liked it
Recommended to June by: Scott
Shelves: sciencefiction
The series is gripping enough that I will probably finish the quartet.
Anne
Jul 03, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing
Television was invented by aliens to slow us down from creating interstellar travel before we fixed our problems of war and violence.
Laura Brownlee
Sep 07, 2012 Laura Brownlee rated it really liked it
My 9 year old enjoyed this
  • The Return of the Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Andalite Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #1)
  • Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1)
  • Power Of Un
  • Borgel
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.5)
  • Worf's First Adventure  (Star Trek: The Next Generation - Starfleet Academy #1)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • Black Snowman
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Andrew Lost In the Kitchen (Andrew Lost, #3)
  • You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye
  • Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)

My Teacher is an Alien (4 books)
  • My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1)
  • My Teacher Fried My Brains (My Teacher is an Alien, #2)
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)

“All these guys picking on smart kids and calling them geeks and dweebs are going to grow up and want to know why they don't do something about the terrible state the world is in. I can tell you why. By the time they grow up, most of the kids who realy could have changed things are wrecked. ” 14 likes
“my arms, around my legs, and suddenly the force field disappeared. I could move again! The only problem was, the instant I did, my clothes all fell off. The laser had sliced my shirt, my pants, my shoes and socks, even my underwear, into pieces—and had done it all without touching my skin. “Get me out of here!” I yelled. “Get me some clothes!” No answer. Did that mean there wasn’t anyone there? Just as well, I decided, since I didn’t have any clothes on. But how long were the aliens going to leave me here? Or was someone watching me even now—watching, but not speaking? That made sense, in a way. If the alien mission was to study earthlings, then probably they were doing that right now—especially since I was the only one they had. I decided if I was going to be the sample earthling, I was going to do my best not to act like an idiot. So I began to take deep breaths. I felt myself getting a little calmer. I mean, it wasn’t like no one had ever seen me naked before. I’ve been to the doctor. And next year I would be taking showers in gym class. Come to think of it, given my choice of getting stuck naked in front of a bunch of aliens, or in a seventh-grade gym class, I’d choose the aliens any day. At least they won’t flick your butt with a wet towel! Unfortunately, just as I was getting calm, my little chamber started to fill with gas. Was this a test, to see if I would panic? Were they going to knock me out and do some medical exams? Or were they going to kill me and dissect me? I held my breath until my lungs were” 0 likes