Village Affair

Village Affair

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  960 ratings  ·  37 reviews

Alice Jordan looks forward to moving into The Grey House, an 18th-century residence in a village full of friendly eccentrics. But the change of scenery leads to even greater changes, as she forms a sudden, fierce friendship with an independent young woman named Clodagh-a friendship that will take her husband, the villagers, and Alice herself by complete surprise.

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published February 21st 1994 by HarperCollins Canada / UK Adult Audio (first published January 1st 1971)

Sheila
I love Joanna Trollope's writing style ... the feel of the small English town, the dry humour. At first I found this book a bit sad, but by about a third or so of the way through I no longer felt this way. Big plot surprise that I didn't expect ... and a story that gives the reader a quite enjoyable visit to small English town life, and an interesting study on marriage and family life.

As an aside ... I LOVED the format of my edition of the book -- a compact little hard-cover edition about 4 x 5"...more
Erin
This was a sad tale about a woman stuck in a marriage where she was second place to her husband's job. All of the main characters were unhappy in this story. Finally the daughter found happiness in a new school where she was no longer bullied. The wife found happiness in a crappy job and a lover. She finally made a decision to change her life and something life changing happens. I was pleased with the end but it was a shame that what happened had to happen to give everyone a chance to live their...more
Nick
The story of a married woman who falls in love with another woman, this novel is, in many ways, like a lot of Trollope's work: fiction about women in villages in England who have to deal with a problem of some kind. With the exception of the lesbianism part. I think the thing I found most jarring about it was how dated it felt; either that or how much Trollope doesn't know about gay people or their history. I don't want to give away too much here, but I just found the reaction by most people in...more
Sharon
I don't think I could give a Trollope book less than three stars, simply because I love her style of writing. But I have to admit that this one only just crept in

Trollope's work generally is way above the standard of other chick-lit for me - one of the main reasons I love her is that she’s not predictable with a happy ending all the time - but on saying that, I found a Village Affair a little disappointing.

I didn’t feel the characters went anywhere near deep enough, especially Alice who I actua...more
Thorn MotherIssues
If you're going to make a whole book about people who seem to cause immediate crushes from everyone who meets them, they should really have more character depth than just interesting hair. I realize this book is of its time, but I was a bit surprised by the ending, though it seemed to be one of the more realistic parts of the story.
Mary
Sep 30, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Rachel Brand
Nov 20, 2009 Rachel Brand rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Grandad
Gillian
As a fan of Joanna Trollope, this novel contained all the features I like best in her her classic novels. Readers new to Trollope will enjoy the parochial setting of a small village and it's list of eccentric citizens complete with dotty spinsters, busy-bodies and a very funny dirty old man. The novel is centered on the character of Alice, who ofcourse is of a very middle class background (Trollope's novels contain University Lecturers as much as Catherine Cookson does 'Consumption'! )

The story...more
Louise Ebenhöh
I first read this years ago and had a great urge to read it again. I love the characters, especially the baby (!) and found it a rattling good read all over again. It's so interesting reading a book again after so many years, and seeing which bits you remember and which bits you would swear you'd never read.
~mad
Had this on my shelf for forever!
Finally picked it up and glad I did.
Quick read with a TWIST that caused me to close the book and walk away for an hour or so - just so unexpected.
Good read!
Linda
Alice Jordan is frustrated with her life. She is searching for something…but she doesn’t quite know what. Her marriage has grown weary, and the care of her three small children has grown tedious. She and her husband Martin move to the Grey House, a beautiful home is a small village, and Alice hopes that the move will make everything “all right” again. Clodagh Unwin is the daughter of the family whose estate is part of the village. She befriends Alice and eventually declares her love as a lesbian...more
Sue
Alice has everything she could possibly want in life: a steady husband, three delightful children, loving in-laws, and now a new and gorgeous house ... and yet something is missing.

This is the story of how she 'wakes up' and finds, most unexpectedly, what she needed. Yet she finds that what she wants most leads to great difficulties and stresses.

A controversial subject, movingly explored. Recommended.

I first read this in 1998 and didn't like it as much as I do ten years later.
Rita
Picked up these 2 books at a rummage sale.
1989. Unhappy people, unhappy marriage, the "affair" is between two women.
It sometimes seems like it might start being interesting, but in the end none of the characters seem to me to be of flesh and blood.

Perhaps the author's series of "romantic period sagas" [under a different name] precludes being able to write the kind of book that would seem meatier to me.
Holly
When you're in one of those places, between books, the limbo that follows a great book or even a dull book, when you need a solid novel and you find yourself surrounding by indecision and uncertaintly, pick up a Joanna Trollope book. This one is a fine example. She runs with likes of Barbara Pym and Jane Austen in her ability to portray everyday life with such subtle skill and aplomb.

I liked it.
Carol
Joanna trollope is a master at life, love and relationships. They are not always about romance, they are about feelings and life with each other. She sets simple scenes and story lines but delves much deeper into our relationships. Her books are always a really enjoyable read if you like this kind of thing.
Bea Alden
Alice is a young mother of three, living with a loving husband in the house of their dreams, in an charming English village. This ideal picture becomes totally confused when the unregenerate daughter of the local squire returns from a prolonged stay in America.
Andijkl
It was okay. I loved the ending and the feminist concepts in it. That is what made it okay to read. A women finding a way to make herself happy. the question is whether could have found happiness in her marriage or if her husband had to die to find happiness.
Ramona Marks
This is one of the silliest but most redeeming books I've read. I have to say that it was good because I've been sick and it was an easy read. Very English village life, kind of fluffy, but about lesbians in the 70s. What's not to love?
Martha
typical Trollope, but that's not to say it wasn't enjoyable, the descriptions if the whole English village life are fascinating tho um not sure realistic they are. light Summer reading. perfect
Lee
This is the second book I have read by Joanna Trollope and it was as boring as the first. I have recently recieved from a friend 8 of her books but am debating whether to read any more.
Brenda
A wonderful tale of village life but with a very modern twist to it.
The Characters were believable which really made me want to know how their stories ended.
Samantha Williams
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Deborah
Small town life doesn't require small-mindedness, especially not in a heroine, who's too smart to be so stymied - I thought.
Jan Ashley
Easy reading when you want to get involved in a good village yarn but dont want to have to think about it too hard...a nice read.
Kris
Apr 14, 2008 Kris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open minded women!
Interesting twist in this book keeps you guessing! When it ended I wasn't sure if I felt happy or sad for the main charater!
Suzanne
Love the interconnections between the characters. Easy read, but not simple when it comes to the characters - makes you think.
Carol
I loved this because it felt real, it was easy to read and sometimes that's all you want from a book.
Sandra
saw this in a PBS Tv movie, it was really good and I love Joanna Trollope anyway. A good read!
Angela
Not my usual fare, but I liked it. Didn't see the twist coming, either!
Elizabeth Edser
1st Joanna Trollope. Will go on and read other of her books
  • A Woman of Cairo
  • Not That Sort of Girl
  • Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #1)
  • An Act of Love
  • Hearts of Gold
  • Class Reunion
  • Dinner at Rose's
  • Falling Angels
Joanna Trollope Potter Curteis (aka Caroline Harvey)

Joanna Trollope was born on 9 December 1943 in her grandfather's rectory in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England, daughter of Rosemary Hodson and Arthur George Cecil Trollope. She is the eldest of three siblings. She is a fifth-generation niece of the Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope and is a cousin of the writer and broadcaster James Trol...more
More about Joanna Trollope...
Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project) Rector's Wife Daughters-in-Law The Other Family Marrying the Mistress