Rain

Rain

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When rain comes to the parched African savanna, the animals use all their senses to track the storm. The porcupine smells rain in the air. The zebras see lightning. The baboons hear thunder. The rhino feels the first drops. And the lion tastes the cool water. For a time, the grasslands abound with new green leaves, juicy fruits, and fresh pools of water. But soon the hot s...more
Published May 9th 2000 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1999)

David
Rain by Manya Stojic shows animals of the African savanna using their senses to predict the rain, and then enjoy its aftermath.

Stojic's bright, bold, colorful illustrations focus on porcupine, zebras, baboons, rhino, and lion. Closeups of the animal's faces bring readers into the story, and make this a strong choice for sharing with large groups. My favorite images are cover, lightning, raindrop, purr, mud, and fruit.

Stojic's text features descriptive words like cracked, sniffed, whispered, flas...more
Milanie Howard
I love the look of this book; the paintings, the colors, everything just contributes to this tale of the cycle of life on the savannah. I'm totally impressed by the author's ability to create so much suspense in so few pages.
Janet
Great splashy colorful illustrations that portray the water cycle using Africian animals that speak of the five senses in relation to rain. This title is a beauty and easily understood by preschoolers.
Izzy
This is a good book to discuss geography concepts such as climate. It also discusses the five senses. A great book to have in the classroom.
Maggie KutsBorg
Animals. Repetition. Practicing predictions. And learning about the five senses. 10/10 would storytime again!
Kyle Turck
Rain is the story of a group of African animals that are awaiting the incoming rainstorm to help repair the heat damaged land that they live in. The illustrations in this book are amazing, but the story for me was lacking something that I just can't quite put my finger on. The book is pretty predictable and is aimed at younger readers, but the story itself didn't quite live up to the illustrations for me.

I would recommend this book to early elementary readers, primarily Kindergarten and 1st grad...more
Whitney Rachel
everything about this book is spot on.

you just have to read it to understand.
Ashley
This story begins and ends with a hot and dry day. In between the beginning and end it goes through all of the jungle animals and the senses they use to know that the rain is coming. After the rain has come and gone the story proceeds to tell of the great things that the rain has brought to the land for each of the animals. Few words are contained on each page, and are quite large making it an easy read for younger children. The story was cute; however, I think I was more drawn to the brightly c...more
Dana Pressnell
Animals. Five senses. Rain. Precious illustrations.
Ina
Through simple, repetitive phrases and big, bright bold illustrations, we see how the animals of the Savannah sense an approaching rain storm using all of their senses. At first, porcupine smells the rain and rushes off to tell zebra, who see the lightening of the approaching storm...and so on...until the rain passes and then the animals use their senses to enjoy the gifts the rain has left behind...the taste of the cool water, the lush green leaves, the tasty fruit. We leave the animals happily...more
Asho
This book has beautiful, active, bold illustrations. The story describes different animals experiencing a rain storm through their five senses. I would have given this book four stars, but I'm being nitpicky because I really wish that the post-rain activities were described using the same senses as the pre-rain activities. I wish the author had come up with something for each animal to taste, hear, smell, touch, and see after the rain storm as well as during it, just to further reinforce the the...more
Jillian Heise
Bright and big brushstroke illustrations highlight the rain/drought cycle of the African savanna and how the animals know the rain is on its way. Repetition of each animal's way of telling the rain is coming adds up on each page until the rain falls.
jacky
A variety of desert animals use their senses to feel the rain and then enjoy its after effects. I liked the use of all the senses, especailly on a topic like rain. The story also comes full circle very nicely by returning to the first crack in the dry ground after the rain. Nice illustrations with bold colors that fill the page and text that stands out by changing size and position.
Maria
Will be using this book for a rain-themed story time. This is my first time reviewing this book, but I have always used it for rain-themed story times. I like that it is set in Africa and that the characters are animals on the savannah, communicating with one another about the weather... and at the end, each animal reaps the rewards of the rain.
Heidi
I love the pictures. Bold colors. Big. Bright. And still cute. (I'm a fan of cute when it comes to children's books.) I could possibly book talk this one, but I think it's borderline young audience. Though it might work if I have K-1 in the group. More thinking.
Rebekah Jones
This is a great book to use when talking about the senses. It has beautiful illustrations that keep your attention. It has a rhyming text. I liked the book because it does teach about how the weather is in Africa and it shoes you what all you can do with rain.
Janae
The animals in Africa are all anticipating the rain (with their various senses) and then describe what the rain does to help them after it arrives. Cute illustrations. I liked it, but my toddler wasn't into it at all.
Tori
Read it at Library storytime a long time ago. We picked it up this week and June loves it! Especially when I do all the voices. :)

Barefoot Books
Edna
Large, colorful illustrations with artistic angles show porcupines, zebras, baboons, rhinos and lions using their sensory abilities to predict the much-needed rain is finally coming to the savannah.
Rakisha
Brilliantly colored picture book in which different animals of a parched African savanna use their five senses to track the rain. Great for read alouds and curriculums about the the five senses.
Angela
Bold picture book identifies major African steppe animals while teaching the 5 senses. Book notes how rain can be tasted, smelled, heard, seen,and felt.Great storytime addition.
J.F.
This is one of my favorite story time books about senses. The author uses animals and nature to tell a culminating story about the power of rain over the senses.
Paula
Bold colorful illustrations which makes this a wonderful story time book
The animals of the African savanna use their senses to predict and then enjoy the rain.
Natalie Heavrin
This is an easy, repetitive book about animals and rain. The words are big, bold, and great for new readers. The paint brush illustrations are colorful and engaging.
Joan Oegema
Covers the cycle between drought and rain in the jungle. Explores how animals can feel, taste, smell, hear and see the various stages of the rain.
Erica
SAILS

Picture book. The animals of the African savanah know the rains are coming. Goes through the sences. Brightly colored illustrated.
Jessica
When learning about the weather this is a great book in learning about rain and also about Africa's rainy seasons.
Stacia
This picture book can fit so many pieces of primary grades' curriculum! (animals, seasons, senses...)
Joy
Brightly colored illustrations with large-scale figures make this a good choice for storytimes.
June
May 30, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, librarians, & teachers
Recommended to June by: Eboni?
Very well received at a lap time rain program. A parent asked if she could check it out.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Red Truck
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
Snow Hello World! Greetings in 42 Languages Around the Globe! Wet Pebbles Under Our Feet A Book Of Letters Happy Cat Me (pob)