Start by marking “Rain” as Want to Read:
Rain

Rain

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  210 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
When rain comes to the parched African savanna, the animals use all their senses to track the storm. The porcupine smells rain in the air. The zebras see lightning. The baboons hear thunder. The rhino feels the first drops. And the lion tastes the cool water. For a time, the grasslands abound with new green leaves, juicy fruits, and fresh pools of water. But soon the hot s ...more
Published May 9th 2000 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

David
Rain by Manya Stojic shows animals of the African savanna using their senses to predict the rain, and then enjoy its aftermath.

Stojic's bright, bold, colorful illustrations focus on porcupine, zebras, baboons, rhino, and lion. Closeups of the animal's faces bring readers into the story, and make this a strong choice for sharing with large groups. My favorite images are cover, lightning, raindrop, purr, mud, and fruit.

Stojic's text features descriptive words like cracked, sniffed, whispered, flas
burnspenn
This is cute and different. I like that it gives kids a little taste of Africa (for instance, you don't often see baboons in children's books). The illustrations are nice and it gives a little intro to the five senses. However, the story is really simple and just doesn't have much staying power. Readng this one aloud gets old fast.
Milanie Howard
May 04, 2014 Milanie Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: look-at-books
I love the look of this book; the paintings, the colors, everything just contributes to this tale of the cycle of life on the savannah. I'm totally impressed by the author's ability to create so much suspense in so few pages.
Janet
Feb 11, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Great splashy colorful illustrations that portray the water cycle using Africian animals that speak of the five senses in relation to rain. This title is a beauty and easily understood by preschoolers.
Izzy
Mar 02, 2014 Izzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-classroom
This is a good book to discuss geography concepts such as climate. It also discusses the five senses. A great book to have in the classroom.
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific book to review the five senses from the point of view of animals who are awaiting rain in the desert.
Kyle Turck
Rain is the story of a group of African animals that are awaiting the incoming rainstorm to help repair the heat damaged land that they live in. The illustrations in this book are amazing, but the story for me was lacking something that I just can't quite put my finger on. The book is pretty predictable and is aimed at younger readers, but the story itself didn't quite live up to the illustrations for me.

I would recommend this book to early elementary readers, primarily Kindergarten and 1st grad
Esodhiambo
ways of knowing

early reader
Whitney Rachel
Mar 12, 2014 Whitney Rachel rated it it was amazing
everything about this book is spot on.

you just have to read it to understand.
Renee
Love this book

PreK Story Class theme: Great for the 5 senses and weather
Kaye
From hot and parched to lush and green, this book catches the magic of rain.
Ashley
Apr 26, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story begins and ends with a hot and dry day. In between the beginning and end it goes through all of the jungle animals and the senses they use to know that the rain is coming. After the rain has come and gone the story proceeds to tell of the great things that the rain has brought to the land for each of the animals. Few words are contained on each page, and are quite large making it an easy read for younger children. The story was cute; however, I think I was more drawn to the brightly c ...more
Paula
Apr 23, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Read for Headstart storytime 4.23.2015
Paige Y.
Excellent book for teaching the senses.
Dana Pressnell
Animals. Five senses. Rain. Precious illustrations.
Ina
May 14, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Through simple, repetitive phrases and big, bright bold illustrations, we see how the animals of the Savannah sense an approaching rain storm using all of their senses. At first, porcupine smells the rain and rushes off to tell zebra, who see the lightening of the approaching storm...and so on...until the rain passes and then the animals use their senses to enjoy the gifts the rain has left behind...the taste of the cool water, the lush green leaves, the tasty fruit. We leave the animals happily ...more
Sylvester
Sep 26, 2014 Sylvester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1* art
1* story

Asho
This book has beautiful, active, bold illustrations. The story describes different animals experiencing a rain storm through their five senses. I would have given this book four stars, but I'm being nitpicky because I really wish that the post-rain activities were described using the same senses as the pre-rain activities. I wish the author had come up with something for each animal to taste, hear, smell, touch, and see after the rain storm as well as during it, just to further reinforce the the ...more
Jillian Heise
Bright and big brushstroke illustrations highlight the rain/drought cycle of the African savanna and how the animals know the rain is on its way. Repetition of each animal's way of telling the rain is coming adds up on each page until the rain falls.
jacky
A variety of desert animals use their senses to feel the rain and then enjoy its after effects. I liked the use of all the senses, especailly on a topic like rain. The story also comes full circle very nicely by returning to the first crack in the dry ground after the rain. Nice illustrations with bold colors that fill the page and text that stands out by changing size and position.
Maria
Apr 26, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Will be using this book for a rain-themed story time. This is my first time reviewing this book, but I have always used it for rain-themed story times. I like that it is set in Africa and that the characters are animals on the savannah, communicating with one another about the weather... and at the end, each animal reaps the rewards of the rain.
Heidi
I love the pictures. Bold colors. Big. Bright. And still cute. (I'm a fan of cute when it comes to children's books.) I could possibly book talk this one, but I think it's borderline young audience. Though it might work if I have K-1 in the group. More thinking.
Rebekah Jones
Dec 13, 2012 Rebekah Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is a great book to use when talking about the senses. It has beautiful illustrations that keep your attention. It has a rhyming text. I liked the book because it does teach about how the weather is in Africa and it shoes you what all you can do with rain.
Janae
Feb 18, 2013 Janae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
The animals in Africa are all anticipating the rain (with their various senses) and then describe what the rain does to help them after it arrives. Cute illustrations. I liked it, but my toddler wasn't into it at all.
Tori
Sep 26, 2008 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it at Library storytime a long time ago. We picked it up this week and June loves it! Especially when I do all the voices. :)

Barefoot Books
Edna
May 03, 2010 Edna rated it it was amazing
Large, colorful illustrations with artistic angles show porcupines, zebras, baboons, rhinos and lions using their sensory abilities to predict the much-needed rain is finally coming to the savannah.
Rakisha
Brilliantly colored picture book in which different animals of a parched African savanna use their five senses to track the rain. Great for read alouds and curriculums about the the five senses.
Angela
Jun 30, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bold picture book identifies major African steppe animals while teaching the 5 senses. Book notes how rain can be tasted, smelled, heard, seen,and felt.Great storytime addition.
J.F. Sanborn
Jun 23, 2011 J.F. Sanborn rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite story time books about senses. The author uses animals and nature to tell a culminating story about the power of rain over the senses.
Paula
Bold colorful illustrations which makes this a wonderful story time book
The animals of the African savanna use their senses to predict and then enjoy the rain.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Splash!
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Rain!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Silly Little Goose!