Spanish Lover

Spanish Lover

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  710 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A #1 bestseller in Britain, this passionate yet compellingly realistic novel is Trollope's most commercial to date. After a lifetime of not measuring up to her perfect twin sister, Lizzie, Frances decides to start playing by different rules. She takes a married lover, a Spanish Catholic who will never leave his wife, and--much to everyone's surprise--becomes the envy of Li...more
Hardcover
Published May 27th 1993 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 1993)

James
"A Spanish Lover" tells the story of twin sisters whose lives are in flux. One is in financial difficulties and has to find a job; the other has found love in Andalucia. It's a good tale, well told, chick lit for the middle classes.

The author has a real knack for describing family life and especially the surroundings of her characters. Her research is nothing if not thorough. For one book she worked in a supermarket, for another in a hostel for battered women. So you can just tell her research i...more
Miryam HaMagdal
There is quite a problematic question analysed in this book: what is eventually needed that a woman would be happy? This book presents the two most common scenarios: a traditional family with a caring husband, children, a comfortable home on one hand, and a life of a single, career-oriented lady, creating her own business, traveling a lot on the other. These two opposite poles are represented by two women - twin sisters. Later, as it turns out, none of these two paths does guarantee carefree hap...more
Faith
Joanna Trollope... She writes about normal things that aren't so normal. Last time it was about adopted children and their chrisis, now it's about twins who are too dependant of each other... Lizzy and Frances are so very different. Lizzy has a husband, children and a good business, she has everything, and Frances doesn't. Not until she meets her Spanish lover, and things start changing for both of the twins. Once again everything that possibly go wrong between twins and their family happens......more
Suzanne
Jul 15, 2009 Suzanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: Book sale find
Shelves: fiction
I picked this British book up at a book sale, not knowing anything about it or the author, but needing some beach reading. Though it appears by title to be a romantic romp, it's actually more fundamentally about family dynamics, the dilemmas of accepting or rejecting conventional roles, and the consequences of choosing to meet or break with others' wishes and expectations. The story overall was interesting enough for vacation reading, but not something I expect to revisit beyond a few key passag...more
Qi
This is a more complex story than I expected -- in a good way. Several people's lives play out during the course of a dramatic love affair between Frances (the reliable and less demonstrative of a twin) and a married Spanish businessman. In this book, the author successfully draw the picture of several modes of life, each of its rewards and pains, each of its unexpected turns. This is a deeply realistic story, even though it is colored with a lot of romantic glow (which nearly made me give it up...more
Linda
Lizzie (néé Shore) and her twin sister Frances are in their late 30's; they resemble each other but are different in temperament and Lizzie always more successful than Frances. Lizzie is married with a family; she and her husband run a boutique. As the story opens, Frances starts a travel business, Shore to Shore, and goes to Spain on a business trip where she meets Luis, a wealthy hotel owner and begins an affair with him. Her family is shocked Luis is both married and Catholic. Frances blossom...more
Sharon
This is the first Trollope book I have read and I really liked her style, it is very thoughtful and well researched.
The story follows twin sisters Lizzie and Frances who, though close, actually live quite different lives. Lizzie has a husband, children and runs her own boutique business while Frances is still single and leads a fairly solitary life as a travel agent. This in turn takes her abroad to Spain where she meets the handsome and rich hotel owner Luis, who just also happens to be marrie...more
Phredric
Dated but still enjoyable. I like Trollope's stories of regular English folks that turn out not to be so regular, and I like that she eschews traditionally happy endings.
Mary
Good book, like most of Joanna Trollope's. This one about the dynamics of twins who have chosen or just happened into very different lifestyles- one is married with children and owns her own business and the other works for a travel agency. For business reasons the second twin lands in Spain and a romance ensues. She is happy. The first twin begins to have her life unravel and jealousy raises it's ugly head. Roles are changed and that is always a disturbance in any relationship-this one just hap...more
Pequete
Despite the cheesy title that made me a bit embarrassed to walk around with this book (I don't have a lot of time to read, so I usually carry books in my bag to read wherever I can), I enjoyed this book, although not as much as two others I had read before by the same author. The story, about family life and its relations, is in line with those other Trollope's book I've read before, but I didn't like the somewhat stereotyped views of Spain and the Spanish that turn the narrative into a bit of a...more
Kat
Interesting to read a book set during the time of the last financial crisis in the early 1990's. I liked the twins characters, independent Frances appealed more than domestic Mother Lizzie. A contemporary book that was easy to read, about modern life, loves and worries. Main criticism was that the ending trailed off somewhat, the style of writing was one that felt as though the twins story could have gone on and on making the end a bit abrupt.
Bea Alden
Great story of twin sisters - Lizzie, who has an art gallery, a marvelous husband and several children; and Frances, who, though successful in the business world, is single and unlucky in love. But she suddenly shocks everyone by becoming intensely involved with a wildly romantic Spanish lover who has no intention of leaving his wife. The emotions of all the players are realistically and sympathetically portrayed.
Meme
A story of grown-up twin women who lead very different lives, all their family relationships, and a bittersweet romance of one twin. Funny, touching, and a quick read. Joanna Trollope is distantly related to Anthony Trollope and writes modern-day novels of a similar type. I've also read The Choir, The Rector's Wife and a couple of others. They're great vacation reading but not trash!
Yak
Twin sisters tackle their very different personal lives -- one with a big family and a business to help run, the other who is single and takes up with a Spanish man in the coure of her travels to Spain (she has a travel agency). Trollope is great at getting to the core of what women are thinking and feeling when it comes to family life.
Pippa
Sometimes very amusing. I loved the opening pages. Too dull a story for my liking though, and very unrealistic about Frances and Spain. (She would have felt terrible isolation, surely?) Somehow the characters weren't quite rounded enough, but it was fairly enjoyable, particularly the funny family scenes.
Sue
Lizzie and Frances are twins - close, and yet very different in character. Both are happy in what they do, but changes disrupt their patterns of life. Good characters, encouraging ending.

First read in 2003; I'd forgotten most of the plot and enjoyed it just as much re-reading five years later.
Alvi Harahap
The story is swift and involved. The narrative is supplied by first person accounts of the events in the story, mostly from Lizzie and Francis, but also from their parents and friends. While the characters tend to be on the eccentric side, they are very believable and interesting.
Amarpal
So basically, the general drift was something along the lines of; some people just aren't meant to be twins, don't get pregnant behind your partners back, don't borrow too much from the banks and something about the trails and tribulations of relationships... Riveting stuff?
Linda
Really 2.5 stars, why can't we get some half stars here??? Sort of escapism reading. I thought some of the issues raised in the book were unresolved, like the issues with the twins. Disliked one of the main characters, Lizzie, also part of the twin problem.
Lindsey Benage
Had to force myself to finish this book for chic lit book club. Didn't like the characters and the plot was terribly boring. Kept waiting for something to happen but, just kept on waiting. Would not recommend, so boring and a waste of time I will not get back.
Sandra
Read long time ago... 5 or 6 years, but remember that is was good so have sought out other books by JT
Julie
A story about twins - one goes on to be outgoing, married, full of zest and the other one just lives life day to day until she goes to Spain and meets a married man. It starts out slow but I did enjoy it as it progressed.
Mary
Joanna Trollope is always good for an absorbing read and wry comment on contemporary family life. The question of how people change once they become parents is very uniquely answered at the end of this book...
Sue
Natalie
Probably 3.5 stars. Anthony Trollope is one of my favorite 19th century writers. Since Joanna is some kind of relative of his it gives me a little boost to read and enjoy her books.
Kristin
A married with children twin who seems to have it all and her single, lonely sister come to grips with their relationship after Lonely meets Spanish Lover.
Shahabudin
Badai pasti berlalu, dan saat semua tenang, titik melanjutkan hidup adalah tempat/situasi/kondisi dimana dirimu berada, bukan titik saat badai kemarin dimulai.
Linda
I didn't like this book at first, but warmed to it as I read it. I enjoyed reading about the locales in Spain, but, to me, the story was tepid.
Wendy
This was the first Joanna Trollope I read. I read this years ago so can't really remember what I though but I do know I enjoyed it.
Ginnie Leiner
A surprise quirk at the end of this book told in such a matter of fact way that I had to read it twice to make sure I was understanding it.
  • A Sensible Life
  • Undue Influence
  • Colomba
  • Marnie
  • The Millstone
Joanna Trollope Potter Curteis (aka Caroline Harvey)

Joanna Trollope was born on 9 December 1943 in her grandfather's rectory in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England, daughter of Rosemary Hodson and Arthur George Cecil Trollope. She is the eldest of three siblings. She is a fifth-generation niece of the Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope and is a cousin of the writer and broadcaster James Trol...more
More about Joanna Trollope...
Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project) Rector's Wife Daughters-in-Law The Other Family Marrying the Mistress