Start by marking “Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti” as Want to Read:
Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti

Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Counted among his admirers are Jonas Salk, Aldous Huxley, David Hockney, and Van Morrison, along with countless other philosophers, artist, writers and students of the spiritual path. Now the trustees of Krishnamurti’s work have gathered his very best and most illuminating writings and talks to present in one volume the truly essential ideas of this great spiritual thinker...more
Published by HarperOne (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Total Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Total Freedom

Kate
Whenever I read Krisnamurti I'm all like "Well, it's so clear and obvious now, everything makes total sense."

I have the same feeling when I put on my glasses. "Ah, look, those trees aren't just a blur of green but you can see each individual leaf. I can't believe I've been missing this!"

Feeling a little cloudy? This guy will straighten you RIGHT out.
Richard
Krishnamurti is taxing. It is anything but a self-help, feel good, gooshy, new-agey guru book. He is harsh. He is bare. His words are truth, in all their naked beauty and terror. They are at once beautifully quoteable, and damningly upsetting. He necessitates the reexamination of all that is human, and at the same times affirms our own divine potential. Its a shocking examination of beauty, love, truth and unity. You are the world. That is the truth he proclaims. I'm positive that Annie Bassant...more
Steve Pedersen
Its been a few years since I have read this book, but it made a great impact on me. Krishnamurti has such a way with words that he is capable of discussing the human spirit with such great intellect and articulation that makes it very tangible and easy to relate with.
Steve Woods
What can I say? This man is one of the great thinkers of the 20th century. I was first introduced to his work while I was a teenager in a small country town, I couldn't make sense of any of it and it's taken 50 years to come to a point where those matters of which he speaks so eloquently are now on my mind. Clear, concise and insightful, he makes a universal message into his own form of expression that holds within it no illusions and an internal logic that just cannot be denied.

An important poi...more
J-russ
Aug 19, 2008 J-russ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any seeker.
Shelves: re-reading
This book absolutely changed my perspective although I am sure I will get more out of it every time I read it. I appreciated how logical his message is and how he urged the questioners to challenge it with their own experiences and their own truth. It proves true but not easy, although one may agree with what he is saying, to live at such a height of awareness and consciousness is a constant and life long challenge. I look forward to reading it again and get even deeper into myself.

Also, a lot...more
Kshitiz Dahal
Thoreau remarked in Walden, "rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth," and this book definitely paves the way for the truth. Rather than depending on some external teachers for the truth, this book asks you to seek the truth inside yourself. It exposes the illusions of fears and security created in your mind through different forms of conditioning.Definitely helps to lead a fearless life, a life full of love and compassion and a life devoid of attachments.

One of the most radical a...more
Eleni
Impactful & significant.
Gill
“I heard from Zizek about "Zen in War", a book about the assistance Zen Buddhists brought to the Japanese Empire of WWII. In reading the reviews I came across a reference to a development of Zen ideas about meditation and existence, purged of the Japanese and Buddhist superstructure. That really interested me since I've always thought there was a lot to admire about Zen meditation and aesthetics but could never stomach all the Buddhist and Japanese cultural specifics. So a "culture neutral" Zen...more
Matt Mayhall
I've read a few of Krishnamurti's books. I think his philosophy is pretty right-on, but each book I've read has left me feeling like I needed more of an explanation. I felt the need for him to elaborate on certain things, and because his published books are often collections of essays on one specific topic ("On God," "On Love and Loneliness," etc.) I always kind of felt like each book had its fair share of redundance. I bought Total Freedom in hopes that he had more to say. This one seemed like...more
Annette Abbott
If you're not familiar with Krishnamurti, this book offers a good introduction to his talks. A fantastic spiritual teacher, he offers deep insights which can be applied to life regardless of one's spiritual tradition.

Unlike Alan Watts, whom I love to listen to rather than read, I find Krishnamurti easier to read than to listen to. Maybe because I like to savor, or go back and re-read a paragraph or chapter and ponder it. Print offers that luxury more than audio in my opinion.

Michael Oliver
Jan 22, 2008 Michael Oliver rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thinkers
Recommended to Michael by: Amy Lenarz
Truth is a pathless land. Krishnamurti urges us not to accept blindly the words of any spiritual leader (including himself), *to think critically, that we may free our minds and see clearly on our own personal journey- He offers insights into the nature of the self, meditation, sex, love, and the mysteries of life and death.

*paraphrased from the back of the book (sometimes you can't say it better).
Karen Lewin-Hicks
Providing yourself the light that frees you from your person, means you don't need Krishnamurti or any other guru-type. It is this freedom that Krishnamurti aims at for each man. If you're serious in your search, you'll see there's no way, with Krishnamurti or otherwise. His writing are spot on. This book is highly recommended.
Shivering William
This book has ignited more fiery discussions about religion than any other for me. A friend of mine and I used to walk around the botanical gardens in Pasadena and talk Krishnamurti for hours. I think it changed the way I lived. That's exactly what I look for in a book.
Chuck
Awesome book esp. for people in the field of education. It was a real eye opener. His work is challenging and simple all at the same time. He has the unique ability to make you crazy if you study him too much.
Brian Harrison
Fantastic ideas and theories put forth in a frank and clear nature. At times frustrating, redundant, and needlessly convoluted, but an important collection of works for those i search of a life of substance.
Judy Cheron
When I was searching for something to read to get me motivated and going again.. This book helped a lot during that time.. It's something that will make u really think outside of yourself..
Karen
A really good read. Krishnamurti is an amazing philosopher. I enjoyed his ideas and questions. It's amazing how everything he says is still relevant today. Have we changed at all?
Jim George
The author has the tendacy to talk in circles, answering questions with more questions. His book Think On These Things is great!
Joseph Bailey
An excellent objective exploration of spiritual practice without reference to a particular tradition or belief set.
Mehul Shah
Jun 04, 2013 Mehul Shah marked it as to-read
This book can change the thought process of a human being and one can develop a new way of thinking.
Matias
Remarkable philosophical insights from what appears to be a new type of mind.
Kevin
Beautifull book
Alex210469
fredoom
Chris Smith
Chris Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • The Book of Understanding: Creating Your Own Path to Freedom
  • Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching
  • The Crooked Timber of Humanity: Chapters in the History of Ideas
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
  • Raja-Yoga
  • Insight Meditation Kit
Jiddu Krishnamurti or J. Krishnamurti was a popular writer and speaker on philosophical and spiritual subjects. His subject matter included (but was not limited to): the purpose of meditation, human relationships, and how to enact positive change in global society. For more than sixty years he spoke around the world and shared his thoughts on death, disease, freedom, meditation, fear, God, and nat...more
More about Jiddu Krishnamurti...
Freedom from the Known Think on These Things The First and Last Freedom The Awakening of Intelligence Education and the Significance of Life

“Teaching is not the mere imparting of knowledge but the cultivation of an inquiring mind.” 3 likes
“Whatever the one generation may learn from the other, that which is genuinely human no generation learns from the foregoing...Thus no generation has learned from another to love, no generation begins at any other point than at the beginning, no generation has a shorter task assigned to it than had the previous generation.” 2 likes