Start by marking “The Safety Net” as Want to Read:
The Safety Net

The Safety Net

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Fritz Tolm has risen to the most powerful position in Germany. With fame comes fear and vulnerability. Threats to his life are met with the all-pervasive “safety-net” of police protection and surveillance. Trapped in a house they dare not leave, where every visitor is suspect and every object a potential bomb, Tolm and his family wait to discover when and how terrorism wil ...more
313 pages
Published September 1983 by Abacus (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Safety Net, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Safety Net

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsSophie's Choice by William StyronThe Executioner's Song by Norman MailerThe Dead Zone by Stephen KingOne Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters
Best Books of 1979
65th out of 75 books — 29 voters
The Stranger by Albert CamusOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayLord of the Flies by William Golding
Nobel Laureates
263rd out of 396 books — 303 voters

More lists with this book...

Joan Winnek
Jan 14, 2012 Joan Winnek rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joan by: Mimi Abers
Finished today. An engrossing novel that I'd like to reread. Unfortunately I had to interrupt my reading to read another book for my book club. So much has surprised me, and I know my reading has not been the best. It is a challenging book, and I had to refer many times to the (incomplete) list of characters at the beginning, as well as to Wikipedia for background/historical information. The beginning is slow, with long chapters; the ending is quick, with very short chapters. In between is a lot ...more
Kristel
The story is about security. There are many characters in this book, some are family, some our business people, some are political, some are law enforcement. This is Germany from the time period following WWII to the seventies. Security would seem to be a good thing but security robs you of your freedom. You no longer can move about freely or enjoy things like birds flying. Only one person enjoys the security system and that is the one who sees it as a measure of her importance. The rest struggl ...more
Chad Post
Not my favorite Boll. I like the set-up, the topic, structure, and overall narrative techniques, but there are way too many instances (Helga in relation to her husband's infidelity, Rolf about the "bucket") in which characters much too easily deduce important plot points. Makes the whole book feel too plotted, too crafted, instead of developing in an organic way. Pretty lazy moves from such an exceptionally talented author.

I do like the way the chapters go from these long, digressive, circular,
Barry
Great 1979 book about security, economics, and why smart young leftists might "drop out" of a parliamentary political system. It's hard going occasionally, due to the large number of characters (there is a chart of names in my edition of the book from Melville House). If you're not a Germanophile, with some knowledge of post-WWII German politics, it may not be the Böll book to start with, but I loved it, and found it quite moving and relevant for today's discussions of the 99%.
Kris McCracken
A densely packed exploration of the consequences of fame and power in post-war West Germany, the rise of reaction and political violence and its impact on one family. As ever with Böll, this is not a polemic against the like of Baader-Meinhoff and co., and actually seeks to explore rationale and motivation. That is, the line between 'good guys' and 'bad guys' is altogether grey.

Interestingly, although in many ways this is a dated work (the collapse of Communism and re-unification of Germany have
Danielle
First published in 1979, The Safety Net addresses the concept of security versus privacy, namely the individual disclosure of privacy in the name of public security, as causing as much harm (via isolation, social stratification, scrutiny, rumours etc) as it is supposedly supposed to prevent. This is an idea that has become a reality for many of us in the post-9/11 world, yet was quite ahead of its time when Boll put pen to paper.

I enjoyed how Boll explored this theme, and the scenarios that he
Philip Lane
I found this to be a really interesting book to read. The safety net of the title is 24 hour police surveillance for an extended family of a newspaper tycoon as they are beset by a terrorist threat. The novel explores the effect this has on the family and the community. It has a complex cast of characters and I found the list of names and relationships at the beginning of the book an essential reference point for keeping it clear who was talking about who. Each chapter is told by a different cha ...more
David Cain
The Safety Net by Heinrich Boll is a pseudo political, pseudo social commentary novel about the trials and tribulations of security, as visited upon the super-powerful and the ordinary folk who surround them. While no Group Portrait or Billiards, the novel is engaging, playful, fun and strange. For my taste, it was far too short. Given the wide range of characters and stories, this novel could easily be longer. Boll is a master.
Andrew Doran
So glad to have finished this, felt like an almighty slog. This book made me feel stupid (and perhaps I am); I had little grasp of what the hell was going on for the first third of the book and it didn���t get a lot better after that. So many characters, oblique references to size 38 shoes and milk errands and chapters that gave you no idea who was narrating until some way in. Pah.
Mimi
A very intelligent wonderful read, started out slow, but just got better and better. The book is set in the 70's in Germany, the time of Baader-Meinhof and much of the book shows how extra police security in the face of terrorism affects a community. This is my first Boll, who won the Noble prize in Literature in 1972, before this book was written. I will be reading more of his books.
Deanne
Tolm's life is in danger, a side effect of his position. The lives of his family are also at risk and as a result security is provided. This security however affects not just the lives of the people it protects, but those of their friends and neighbours. The safety net of the title seems to protect but also smother those underneath it.
Riley
This is the third or fourth book I've read by Heinrich Boll and the first I've really enjoyed. Though it was written in 1979, some of its themes -- terrorism, surveillance and the lack of privacy in the modern world -- age very well indeed.
Ian
A ponderous story of a wealthy and famous family under seige by terrorist threats to their well being. The characters and situations are diverting, but the story could have been rendered more dramatically.
Lysergius
Boll is one of the few German writers to actually try to explain why the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon happended. Clearly some form of socialism must happen.
Diana
meh. I really like Boll. this one seems a bit convoluted. He obviously thought he had something going here, but to me it didn't pan out like his others.
Mette Kowalski
Half-way through the book I didn't really know what it was about - but still I liked it. And later on actually found out what it was about.
علی
سرپناه امن با ترجمه ی هما احمدی در 1371 به فارسی منتشر شده است
Nathan Danilczuk
My favorite book.
Agota
Agota marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
~*Sara*~
~*Sara*~ marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Kimberly Perez
Kimberly Perez marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ali Shields
Ali Shields marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Nives
Nives is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Tiffany Wolfert
Tiffany Wolfert marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Simplicissimus
  • The Glass Bees
  • The Stechlin
  • The Invention of Curried Sausage
  • Anton Reiser: A Psychological Novel (Penguin Classics)
  • Cat and Mouse (The Danzig Trilogy, #2)
  • The Young Man
  • Henry von Ofterdingen
  • The German Lesson
  • The Last World
Heinrich Böll became a full-time writer at the age of 30. His first novel, Der Zug war pünktlich (The Train Was on Time), was published in 1949. Many other novels, short stories, radio plays and essay collections followed, and in 1972 he received the Nobel Prize for Literature "for his writing which through its combination of a broad perspective on his time and a sensitive skill in characterizatio ...more
More about Heinrich Böll...
The Clown The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Billiards at Half-Past Nine Group Portrait with Lady The Train Was on Time