Start by marking “The Good Works of Ayela Linde: A Novel in Stories” as Want to Read:
The Good Works of Ayela Linde: A Novel in Stories

The Good Works of Ayela Linde: A Novel in Stories

From an O. Henry Prize-winner, this dazzling novel in stories marks the arrival of a powerfully original and beguiling new voice in American fiction. The linked stories that make up this spare and beautifully written novel follow the life of Ayela, the illegitimate daughter of a Mexican dressmaker, and create a portrait, composite yet intriguingly incomplete, that captures ...more
Published May 10th 2006 by Arcade Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Works of Ayela Linde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Works of Ayela Linde

Pip
Oct 10, 2008 Pip rated it liked it
I actually read this for a class on editing and publishing. So, the below is what I wrote by way of what I'd write for the back copy, were I given the chance. On the whole, I really liked the book -- it was engaging and full of vivid, vibrant images.

---

‘“There is nothing beautiful in this world.”’ This is one of the first lessons we learn from haunting, achingly lovely Ayela Linde, the dark-haired girl who laughs the loudest and longest and is always just out of reach of everyone in the small to
Courtney
May 12, 2008 Courtney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my sister
Recommended to Courtney by: annie miller
A novel in short stories. It sits somewhere in between Marquez and McCarthy in tone. I was both sickened and delighted.
Susan Emmet
Jul 16, 2012 Susan Emmet rated it really liked it
I liked Forbes' technique of linking a series of short stories into a novel of sorts although perhaps the multitude of narrative voices cancels out the "novel" claim.
Seeing Ayela through the ears and ears and hearts of those close to - and far from - her is a fine way into seeing all the parts of her character. Haughty, impetuous, loving, distant, focused, adrift, loyal and beautiful, Ayela is the "illegitimate" daughter of a traveling man and a distant, absorbing mother. She marries Frederick L
George Ilsley
Aug 19, 2010 George Ilsley rated it liked it
The writing is beautiful but can't help but question the format. Felt like the author had a couple of short stories and then decided to write more and make it into some kind of a novel. First person narratives can frustrate the reader, because they usually hide the narrator, rather than expose. So as a reader, I was often wondering, who is this now? A third person approach, from this obviously talented writer, could have turned this novel into something spectacular.
Mara
This one caught my eye because it was on sale, the blurb compares it to Amelie Poulain, plus I love the cover artist's work here and in general (this dude got me to buy a book more than once simply by making an awesome cover). However, the cover contains a typo (in the author's name!), and the reviews here are not that favorable, so maybe this wouldn't be a good purchase...
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 Erin rated it did not like it
This could have been a good book but completely missed out of really focusing on the main character in detail. Story was told in shortstories instead of chapters by the view of different people that came in contact w main character, who seemed interesting but really never told you enough about her or led you anywhere. Very disappointing.
n
Jan 12, 2011 n rated it really liked it
This was a fun book based in the border town of Texas, which I love. It's told in the style of "Yo," by Julia Alvarez. You learn about the life of a strong and mysterious woman from the perspective of everyone but herself. Fun and quick read.
Peggy
Oct 04, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it
This collection of linked short stories is set in a town on the U.S./Mexican border. The reader watches Ayela move through life, beginning in her wild teenage years and ending in her old age.
Deanette
Feb 12, 2013 Deanette rated it really liked it
I wish Charlotte Forbes had more published work to read. I loved this book.
Stacie
Apr 06, 2009 Stacie rated it it was ok
I did not particularly enjoy this book but perhaps someone else will.
Christie
Christie rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2010
David Barker
David Barker rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
Jasmina
Jasmina rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Dianne Morgan
Dianne Morgan rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2007
Dragana
Dragana rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2011
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2009
Laura rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2016
Carin
Carin rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2010
Cheryl Makely
Cheryl Makely rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Andjela
Andjela rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Lexie
Lexie rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Ana
Ana rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Dora
Dora rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Brenna
Brenna rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2008
Laelabella
Laelabella rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Mary Beth Seefelt
Mary Beth Seefelt rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Dazzle Ng
Dazzle Ng rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2009